Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 10:06 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,202,779 times

Advertisements

This story popped up as a new story, but it appears this happened a year ago. Never read about it before and couldn't find it have been posted before.

Another horrible tragedy involving an infant living, and dying, in deplorable conditions. So many people dropped the ball on this one!!!

DCFS failed to help parents who accidentally suffocated baby | Belleville News-Democrat

Quote:
When Tim Elkins heard a police battering ram smash against his front door, he hid with his kids under a blanket.
Quote:

Baby Matthew died sometime in the night. Tim knew that when the deputies broke through they would find out the Elkins family secret. It would mean the end of them as a family.

He whispered to his 5-year-old daughter, the favorite of his nine children.

“I won’t let them in.”

The door finally splintered. Tim heard voices in the foyer below, footsteps on the stairs.

A single flashlight beam swept across Tim and six of his small children, who lay in a tangle of blankets on a filthy mattress.
Throughout the home, just feet away from the mattress in every direction, lay more than a year’s accumulation of animal waste and hundreds of plastic trash bags filled with rotting garbage. In rooms where the Elkins kids should have played, dreamed and finished their homework, rats chewed and hordes of bugs crawled nightly to the ceiling for warmth.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:28 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,802,637 times
There are people like that. There were when I was a kid and there will after I'm long gone.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,569,955 times
Sickening. I think I read the dad is eligible for parole in 2020, that is also sickening. He should be locked up forever.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:06 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,002,577 times
No money for garbage pickup but plenty of money for dad's 12-pack-a-day beer habit and mom's smokes.

We had white trash like this where I grew up. "Mental illness" my foot.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:17 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,084,250 times
When I got to the picture of the mattress I actually gagged. It was totally BROWN with filth.
How is this kept "secret" so long? The kids had to have been in dirty clothes, etc.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:22 AM

52,727 posts, read 34,643,570 times
that house was built brand new from the ground up for them by habitat for humanity.
now it's not fit for anything but a bulldozer.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:26 AM

16,081 posts, read 21,202,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No money for garbage pickup but plenty of money for dad's 12-pack-a-day beer habit and mom's smokes.

We had white trash like this where I grew up. "Mental illness" my foot.
I dunno, I think this goes way beyond just trashy behavior. I mean keeping your rotting garbage in the home for years? That isn't just being lazy, that's disturbed.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:26 AM

26,662 posts, read 28,751,415 times
The father is an idiot and must be mentally ill. The wife sounds sort of okay but she just went along with everything the father said instead of leaving him. The article said that he was like one of those cult leaders, all kinds of silly rules for them to follow.

I hope if he is let out of jail, he can't have contact with his family. NINE kids?? Who has NINE kids when they can't afford them. That is totally nuts. Those poor kids. They are the real victims in this, going to school and being told that they smell, not being able to have friends over, living in absolute filth.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:36 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,657,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Race card thrown in Post 4. That was quick.

No kidding huh. This sort of thing doesn't have barriers on skin tone. I've seen it along all color lines and it's non discriminatory. The kids just don't have a chance. A lot of this winds up being generational. A vicious cycle. There's a lot of focus on the inner cities and places like Appalachia with this, but I'll tell you folks who think they've seen it all should visit a reservation sometime.

I've seen things on the rez that will forever haunt my dreams. Sdly I don't see the cycle being broken anytime soon wherever this sort of thing is happening. When I was running my own plumbing and heating business I've been called to places that I just couldn't work in. Called by the landlord who was a serious slum lord.

Slum lords occupy one of the lowest rungs on my s*** list ladder. I've reported a couple to the state housing agency. I will say that NV acts swiftly an surely when a slum lord gets reported. How people can live in some of the conditions I've seen just floors me and a property owner knowing full well what's going on too.

When I hear the term "for the children" this is what comes to mind for me.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,680 posts, read 18,050,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The father is an idiot and must be mentally ill. The wife sounds sort of okay but she just went along with everything the father said instead of leaving him. The article said that he was like one of those cult leaders, all kinds of silly rules for them to follow.

I hope if he is let out of jail, he can't have contact with his family. NINE kids?? Who has NINE kids when they can't afford them. That is totally nuts. Those poor kids. They are the real victims in this, going to school and being told that they smell, not being able to have friends over, living in absolute filth.
It sounds like the kids are all bonded, and are now with family within a block of each other.

I really think they'll be ok, besides the scarring of losing their baby brother.

Sounds like Glass Castle to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events