Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 11:45 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,054,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
If you want to get porch pirates.. First off, the blank shotgun shell.. I actually don't recommend for several reasons.. First off, blank ammo can still be considered ammo and some cities probably would have a fit over it. If you're in the south, or Texas.. No problems.. Somewhere like San Francisco would probably charge you.. Plus.. Say it scared the thief and they broke a leg on your property.. Believe it or not, you're liable. Crazy world.

Yes, the shotgun shell decoy is a pretty bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 11:56 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
It's not the package. It's the random delivery person getting access to your house and grabbing whatever he wants inside. In theory there's a video record of the whole "drop", but perhaps not!
Amazon's liable for that. Take the TV...we want a new one anyway.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:11 PM

585 posts, read 492,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post

Maybe this type of theft will stop when Amazon gets their drones working and they can drop a package into a box on your roof.

Drones are currently only allowed line of site, meaning the person controlling it must be able to see it at all times. It will be a long time before there are flocks of drones delivering all the packages that get ordered.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:17 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times
This post has given me a great idea. From now on, I will put my dog’s poop bags in an Amazon box by my door instead of that iron, decorative bucket I use. This might be my answer to free doggie waste removal!

Old 12-18-2017, 01:24 PM

19,626 posts, read 12,222,208 times
If there is some elderly or stay at home person in the neighborhood, maybe they could have a little business where the neighbors would have their packages sent to them, and they will be there to accept it and hold on to it for a donation. That would be win/win for everyone.

LOL, I just noticed another poster thought of this earlier. I would definitely do it.

I work from home most of the time, but there has been no problem in my area with theft. I'd rather have it that way.

Last edited by tamajane; 12-18-2017 at 02:46 PM..

Old 12-18-2017, 01:58 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,054,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Amazon's liable for that. Take the TV...we want a new one anyway.

Good luck with that one. And what if some delivery boy steals a homeowner's identity? How would Amazon compensate the victim for that, if at all?

Old 12-18-2017, 02:54 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Almost every evening on local news, they show a thief stealing packages from home entrances. Since so many people now have front door cameras, the thefts are being recorded. One video showed a woman on a bicycle with here 2 year old kid on a rear seat ride up to a door, and opened a package first to see if it was something she wanted to steal. Another video showed a early 20's male walk up to a door, take a box and walk away with it. He didn't even look to see the senders name. Could have been a box of adult diapers. In another theft, the home owner said that a laptop computer was stolen. Some thieves have been identified and arrested.
Is this just a Tampa Bay area thing or is it going on throughout the U.S.
It's rampant in the Kansas City metro right now. They are idiots to do that when so many people have outdoor surveillance cameras now. I have my UPS set up to deliver packages without a signature because I am home during the day and I can get them as soon as they are delivered. But I may rethink that. I did buy a laptop a couple of weeks ago and the sender required a signature for delivery. That's the main package I would have been worried about.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:58 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,894,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
This isnt anything new, diverting product shipment has been going on for decades.
Longer than decades, even. Think of stagecoach robberies of the past.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Good luck with that one. And what if some delivery boy steals a homeowner's identity? How would Amazon compensate the victim for that, if at all?
Oh Jesus Christ, that can happen if someone goes through your trash. Or if you were caught up in the Equifax data breach. There are infinite ways someone can steal your identity. If they want it, they'll get it. Best you can do is monitor your credit, shred everything, and hope for the best.

By the way, I work in IT. In data specifically. The kind of crap I see on a regular basis would probably turn your hair white.

Old 12-18-2017, 06:54 PM

50,773 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Not in our country neighborhood. We have packages delivered quite a lot. Some have sat on the porch for hours in our absence.

I'm curious to know where people live who are having this problem. City? Suburbs? Rural?
There is no specific place, it's pretty widespread over the past couple of years from suburbs to cities to rural areas. In many cases I've heard of, they actually follow the UPS truck, and just run up and grab the packages after he drops them off. None of mine have been stolen, but I don't think it's a statement on my area, it just hasn't happened to me yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events