Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 03:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
A swing? LOL I have been attacked, had all sorts of body fluids thrown at me, Have my breasts and butt grabbed by men, been bitten, and so on. Been called names, mistaken for different people, been clung to, swore at. I have a life time injury to my rotator cuff because of a 90 year old woman attacking me. .
I'm not sure what capacity you worked in, but these experiences are common for people who work as nurse aides - and they are only paid $10 an hour. So the pay simply isn't worth going through all this in my opinion. Even LVN salaries didn't justify the injuries and abuse that healthcare workers were exposed to every day. (They make about $18 an hour where I live). Lots of elderly patients can be violent. I wouldn't consider working in a nursing home unless it paid $25 an hour.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:03 PM

15,411 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
YOU had better look at the pictures, those cuffs are so loose they are crooked on her wrists. TIGHT cuffs would be straight and unable to lean like those. They are very sloppy on her hands.

GEESH !!!!!!!!
It's crocked on one of her wrists, and that one is clearly cutting into her her skin. The one she is trying to relieve the pressure on is pretty straight.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 12-16-2017 at 04:12 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 04:03 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I give up. In the link included picture, those things she's wearing on each wrist with the chain section linking them together must be a new style of stainless steel senior jewellry.
Seriously, there is a difference between being cuffed in jail, once in custody, and being cuffed to be taken into custody. Cops may or may not handcuff someone at the point of arrest, at their own discretion. If someone goes willingly with no issues, they may not be cuffed. If they are old and seem fragile, or like they aren't a danger, they may not be cuffed. But jail is a different story. Not everyone needs to be cuffed to be brought out of a place, wherever they are, and into the back of the cop car. But jails have rules that are in place for a reason. Notice how the photo of her cuffed features her in an orange jumpsuit. She was already in jail.

Most people picture arrests with the person being handcuffed. It's how it's portrayed in entertainment. It's probably pretty common IRL but it doesn't HAVE to happen. It's noteworthy that they were kind and did not cuff her at the point of her arrest (it really would have been overkill anyway, like this frail 94 year old would have ran or tried to hurt them). That's why the articles and posters are correcting you. Jail is a different ballgame, one you are in custody and processed.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:06 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,481,900 times
It's a good thing they made her wear the orange jail jumpsuit. That'll make it much easier for her to avoid recapture if she makes a break for it and escapes...

Did they fingerprint her, too? You know, just it case she's got outstanding warrants. Or maybe there's an unsolved murder with Granny's prints all over the scene. Better toss her cell now and then, too, just to make sure she hasn't got any contraband, like a shiv.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:11 PM

15,411 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I give up. In the link included picture, those things she's wearing on each wrist with the chain section linking them together must be a new style of stainless steel senior jewellry.
That must be it. Because the police said she was not handcuffed, and we all know that the police NEVER tell a lie.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:19 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
The arresting police officers and the corrections officers in county jails are two different agencies, responsible for two very different jobs. Jesus, I did not think this was that difficult of a concept. She was not cuffed at her arrest. Fact. She was cuffed at jail. Fact. The visual of seeing a 94 year old frail woman being cuffed upon arrest at a very public place, and put into the back of a police car, would probably lead to outrage. But jail is a very different place. Jail does not grant any breaks or discretion. Jail requires you to wear certain clothes and be cuffed or searched at certain times, no matter your age. You start giving anyone a free pass, whether at jail or by not arresting them period solely because of their ages, you let others take advantage.

She had many offers for help, and she still refused to leave. She knew she would be arrested if she still refused. She still refused. I feel bad for her but only to a degree. Some old people are too damn stubborn for their own good. In the end, she'll be fine. This is not a very serious charge, what she's been arrested for (trespassing). I just hope someone can talk some sense into her, because it wasn't working before. Sometimes, there's only so much you can do for people.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:11 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Did you report it?
Every time. I didn't last long. The higher ups didn't want to hear it.

Old 12-16-2017, 05:13 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'm not sure what capacity you worked in, but these experiences are common for people who work as nurse aides - and they are only paid $10 an hour. So the pay simply isn't worth going through all this in my opinion. Even LVN salaries didn't justify the injuries and abuse that healthcare workers were exposed to every day. (They make about $18 an hour where I live). Lots of elderly patients can be violent. I wouldn't consider working in a nursing home unless it paid $25 an hour.
Yeah I did it when I was young and I think I made $7 an hour. It is a waaaaaaay underpaid position. Even the charge nurses don't make enough. But that is why they turn a blind eye to abusive staff and in some cases, can't attract quality staff

Old 12-16-2017, 05:23 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl415 View Post
the arresting police officers and the corrections officers in county jails are two different agencies, responsible for two very different jobs. Jesus, i did not think this was that difficult of a concept. She was not cuffed at her arrest. Fact. She was cuffed at jail. Fact. The visual of seeing a 94 year old frail woman being cuffed upon arrest at a very public place, and put into the back of a police car, would probably lead to outrage. But jail is a very different place. Jail does not grant any breaks or discretion. Jail requires you to wear certain clothes and be cuffed or searched at certain times, no matter your age. You start giving anyone a free pass, whether at jail or by not arresting them period solely because of their ages, you let others take advantage.

She had many offers for help, and she still refused to leave. She knew she would be arrested if she still refused. She still refused. I feel bad for her but only to a degree. Some old people are too damn stubborn for their own good. In the end, she'll be fine. This is not a very serious charge, what she's been arrested for (trespassing). I just hope someone can talk some sense into her, because it wasn't working before. Sometimes, there's only so much you can do for people.
+1.

Old 12-16-2017, 07:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Seriously, there is a difference between being cuffed in jail, once in custody, and being cuffed to be taken into custody. Cops may or may not handcuff someone at the point of arrest, at their own discretion. If someone goes willingly with no issues, they may not be cuffed. If they are old and seem fragile, or like they aren't a danger, they may not be cuffed. But jail is a different story. Not everyone needs to be cuffed to be brought out of a place, wherever they are, and into the back of the cop car. But jails have rules that are in place for a reason. Notice how the photo of her cuffed features her in an orange jumpsuit. She was already in jail.

Most people picture arrests with the person being handcuffed. It's how it's portrayed in entertainment. It's probably pretty common IRL but it doesn't HAVE to happen. It's noteworthy that they were kind and did not cuff her at the point of her arrest (it really would have been overkill anyway, like this frail 94 year old would have ran or tried to hurt them). That's why the articles and posters are correcting you. Jail is a different ballgame, one you are in custody and processed.
Just to be clear - I'm not debating the "when" she was handcuffed I'm taking issue with those who simply said she wasn't handcuffed. Some were snarky about it without stipulating anything about the timeline. They said she wasn't handcuffed when she most certainly was handcuffed, then or later SHE WAS HANDCUFFED.

End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.