Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 02:24 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Scary creature.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/raccoon-d...170318448.html

Quote:
A baby had to undergo surgery after being attacked by a raccoon inside her home in Philadelphia.

Four-month-old Journi Black was attacked in her home in North Philadelphia on Wednesday night, CBS Philadelphia reported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 05:03 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
People are made out of meat. A human baby is certainly in the size group for prey for a raccoon. An adult raccoon is a large very strong animal with big sharp teeth. That cute bandito face does not mean that a raccoon is a sweet Disney character who loves people.

Several people in my area with dog doors have had raccoons let themselves into the house and help themselves to whatever food they find.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:26 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Hasn’t anybody seen guardians of the Galaxy? Rocket is a dick!

Old 12-23-2017, 11:47 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
People are made out of meat. A human baby is certainly in the size group for prey for a raccoon. An adult raccoon is a large very strong animal with big sharp teeth. That cute bandito face does not mean that a raccoon is a sweet Disney character who loves people.

Several people in my area with dog doors have had raccoons let themselves into the house and help themselves to whatever food they find.
yep, we had one get in our house through the doggie door but he got a big surprise when my dogs found him snooping around the kitchen.

Old 12-24-2017, 01:13 AM

32,937 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

And claws.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:29 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
The parents are "pursuing legal action".

Translation: they're trying to find a personal injury lawyer willing to take their case on contingency, to try to shake down the landlord for a few bucks even though it was the mom who apparently left the door open and apparently didn't hear the child screaming for five minutes.

Old 12-24-2017, 06:30 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I'm so sorry but the house is going to be pretty secure while we sleep if there's an infant in the house. Holy carp people, lock your doggie doors at night!

Old 12-24-2017, 06:40 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
I would NEVER have a dog door in my house. First, I don't want my dog roaming outside, as they can, and do get out of fenced yards. I don't have a fence anyway. Second, as others have said animals, and PEOPLE can potentially get in dog doors. They are a security hazard. Animals, especially hungry, and desperate ones will do some crazy things. When I lived in Colorado, a Mountain Lion got through the sliding door of someone's ground level bedroom, killed their 60 lb Lab, drug it away, and jumped a six foot fence with the dog in its mouth. I hope the little girl is OK, and fully recovers.

Old 12-24-2017, 08:07 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,890 times
I hate those things .
Originally from Texas ,alot have rabies and they are just plain mean - even when people try to raise one which is ridiculous. I have always had friends back home say " look how sweet she is"- while it's gnawing off their arm.
When we moved outside Portland ,Ore. years ago one attacked and killed my old barn cat . I heard it from INSIDE my house went out there and that was the biggest raccoon I have seen in 55 years . Blew away anything they ever had in Texas . I guess the water /food is more plentiful up here . I had to go in and get a baseball bat to get my cat back and I have no regrets. It was me or that raccoon . We both lived , cat as mentioned above did not .

Old 12-24-2017, 08:26 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm so sorry but the house is going to be pretty secure while we sleep if there's an infant in the house. Holy carp people, lock your doggie doors at night!
It wasn't this family's house. They were renting a single room in a house where other rooms were also being rented out, all illegally. The owner was trying to make money to pay off back taxes on a payment plan in lieu of the city taking the property. There were probably all kinds of people coming and going. The news reports make no mention of a doggie door. There were reportedly a lot of raccoons in the neighborhood and the house's owner/landlord chased one off the property, possibly out of the house, earlier that day, and subsequently claimed an exterminator had come as well. When the mother called 911, she couldn't remember the property's address, so the landlord appeared before EMS and drove them all to the hospital. Of course the mother, and the dad who lives elsewhere and apparently pays no child support, are "going to sue the owner because this was all his fault." Even a shyster lawyer can see there's no money to be made from this particular turnip. The owner is being cited for all sorts of violations. No insurance company is going to pay out on a claim on an illegal rental.

Last edited by KCZ; 12-24-2017 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events