Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:20 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times

Advertisements

Could be his neighbors had an issue with it.

"Elgin has lawful shelters that provide a safe space for people to go throughout the year," Center said in a statement. "In times of extreme temperature, temporary locations open within the community that all conform to regulations and codes."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Or they could freeze to death. That is a safety issue, too.
I get that.

He has been told at least twice now that the conditions he is providing don't meet whatever code, regulations, etc., that are in place. He has the option to bring the space up to code or he could offer the interior living space of his house. He's not doing that. This has happened two years in a row. IF he wants to help people and do it without hassle, he needs to comply with the law. What he wants to do is not out of his reach.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:19 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Or they could freeze to death. That is a safety issue, too.
But they are not freezing to death as there are shelters for those who need them. A lot of homeless people in a basement without an easy way to leave is not good either.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:36 AM

32,915 posts, read 36,310,068 times
Shelters close when when they're full. No room at the Inn.

Old 01-04-2018, 09:52 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I get that.

He has been told at least twice now that the conditions he is providing don't meet whatever code, regulations, etc., that are in place. He has the option to bring the space up to code or he could offer the interior living space of his house. He's not doing that. This has happened two years in a row. IF he wants to help people and do it without hassle, he needs to comply with the law. What he wants to do is not out of his reach.
Yep, bringing the basement to code might be impossible because of the ceiling height, but maybe with help he could bring the garage to code. It seems as though he doesn't have much money himself as he's already been cited for other problems with the house.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:53 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,746,947 times
This is something that could quickly get out of hand and cause a terrible mess in this man's yard/home and negatively affect the quality of life, property values, safety, etc., for his neighbors. I mean, c'mon, this is Illinois...it's going to be cold a lot of nights during the winter.

He needs to find a better way to help the homeless. The city is correct in what they have done. That's not heartless, it's just reality.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:43 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im sorry, but this is a case where the guy should continue to disobey. He can do whatever he wants in his own home, when people start tolerating even a city Govt to tell you what you can and cannot do with your own home, thats a BIG problem imo.

Even if the city had to take action against this guy, think about how that would make them look to the rest of the country!

This kind of reminds me about a case I read about a few years ago. A suburban couple was opening up their home to a church group that didn't have their own building yet. They were told to stop. They eventually sued, and they won. One has the right to peaceful assembly in their own home.

I think this guy should get a constitutional lawyer.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:18 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,216 times
"Schiller said city officials and police officers came to his home with a warrant Tuesday and went into his basement."

Why do we continue to make excuses for this type of Nazi rule and governing power?

Somewhere between protecting our rights and making excuses for government bondage, we've lost our homes and property to the American Nazis.

"Let 'em freeze" should be their new motto.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:39 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
"Schiller said city officials and police officers came to his home with a warrant Tuesday and went into his basement."

Why do we continue to make excuses for this type of Nazi rule and governing power?

Somewhere between protecting our rights and making excuses for government bondage, we've lost our homes and property to the American Nazis.

"Let 'em freeze" should be their new motto.
People who are more concerned with codes than humans have lost their humanity.

I liken it to the person who won't cross the street because the light is red even though someone is coming after them with a machete. Breaking the law via jaywalking vs saving their own life? They'd rather DIE than disobey authority.

Or they would rather wait for the police to rescue them rather than take matters into their own hands. And I have had actual conversations with people about this. Me: You'd be dead. Them: I don't care. I'd still wait. Me: You would be DEAD.

It's really, really sad. Once people are in that mindset it is very, very difficult to get them out of it.

Old 01-04-2018, 01:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im sorry, but this is a case where the guy should continue to disobey. He can do whatever he wants in his own home, when people start tolerating even a city Govt to tell you what you can and cannot do with your own home, thats a BIG problem imo.
No. This is why cities have zoning laws. Zoning laws ensure that your neighbor next door can't put gas pumps in front of his home and your neighbor across the street can't run her home as a lodging establishment. Zoning laws formalize that there's a place for everything and define how a residential neighborhood is different from a commercial area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events