Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 PM

1,885 posts, read 1,001,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Playing devil's advocate, how would you feel living next to someone having many strange homeless people living in the house next door?
I'm smart enough to buy a house with LAND, so I don't have any immediate neighbors!

Seriously though, I see your point. It's a sh*tty scenario. That's why I seriously support the idea that the world is overpopulated, and that a lot of land is a "natural right". Not that land should be given away to everyone, but that it should be generally recognized in the minds of the public that "enough" land for everyone is necessary for communal peace and harmony. Then there are those who are perfectly comfortable with living in a confined community, so long as it's the RIGHT PEOPLE. This, of course, is an issue in itself. But the idea that everyone can and should live in a confined space is ludicrous. A bit off topic, but semi-relevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2018, 06:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
Playing devil's advocate, how would you feel living next to someone having many strange homeless people living in the house next door?
I'd move, but I did that years ago. That's why I live in the country with my next door neighbor a half mile away. They don't have slumber parties, but there aren't any homeless in my county.

He should be lord of his land just as I am of mine. "Hypocrisy is the homage that vice renders to virtue." I believe that Vauvergne said that. Eighteenth century Frenchmen were wizards with aphorisms.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:45 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's also amazing how those houses with 20 people living in them ... they are perfectly A-OK. Nobody says a peep, nobody comes to investigate, landlords can't get any help from the "authorities" ...

But a guy wants to do the right thing and save some homeless people who face the very real possibility of freezing TO DEATH a few nights a year?

Shut him down. Shut him down NOW.

Sick society. Hypocritical society. Immoral society.
Sadly this is correct.

I've had and attended many basement slumber parties during my youth. My parents entertained their friends in our finished basement too. Not once did the communists come busting in, flashing their warrants, concerned with everyone's safety.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:03 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,938,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Sadly this is correct.

I've had and attended many basement slumber parties during my youth. My parents entertained their friends in our finished basement too. Not once did the communists come busting in, flashing their warrants, concerned with everyone's safety.
The only time they get involved is when we solve the problems ourselves. Can't have that. Makes government UNNECESSARY.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:59 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think they just want homeless people to freeze to death.
Thought the same thing. Guess they are better off out on the streets.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:06 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im sorry, but this is a case where the guy should continue to disobey. He can do whatever he wants in his own home, when people start tolerating even a city Govt to tell you what you can and cannot do with your own home, thats a BIG problem imo.

Even if the city had to take action against this guy, think about how that would make them look to the rest of the country!

The BIG problem is that, in violation of code, he's allowing people to sleep in his basement.

Most cities/towns have codes which prohibit that. Here, they're strict about windows which allow both ingress and egress, in the absence of a basement door.

And don't worry. If the city took action against him, it would simply make it look as if HE had to adhere to the same local codes as everyone else.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The BIG problem is that, in violation of code, he's allowing people to sleep in his basement.

Most cities/towns have codes which prohibit that. Here, they're strict about windows which allow both ingress and egress, in the absence of a basement door.

And don't worry. If the city took action against him, it would simply make it look as if HE had to adhere to the same local codes as everyone else.
What city, county, or state has a law against overnight guests?

Old 01-04-2018, 10:34 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
What city, county, or state has a law against overnight guests?
Places have laws against bedrooms being in a room without proper windows/doors in case of fire. Where I live I think windows with window wells are considered acceptable, but I think in other places they aren't. https://windowwellexperts.com/irc-codes/us/tennessee/

Old 01-04-2018, 10:43 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
People need to understand that the law is not always RIGHT.

This man is exactly the type of person we need today. Helping others when needed, no strings attached.

Government does not like it when people take care of their own problems.

They want everyone to be helpless and look to the nanny state.

99 percent of what you wrote I agree with. But as I get older, I find that the law is less often right. Sometimes right is giving too much credit to the law.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:58 PM

758 posts, read 550,493 times
Oakland "Ghost Ship" Artist Collective Fire

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_O...warehouse_fire

Excerpt:
Quote:
Multiple factors prevented the fire's discovery, impeded the escape process, and led to the eventual loss of life. There were no fire sprinklers in the building, and firefighters on scene heard no smoke detectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events