Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 09:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Schools were closed and the child was 12. At 12 one would expect some common sense to not sled down a driveway into the street. Being attended to is not the issue. Attention to where the child was is the issue. If the schools are closed and it's 27 outside, the child should not have been outside.
Kids can't play outside in the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 01:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Did you take out your sled and slide down hills/driveways into the street?
Yes, but we were taught that there are things called cars (and in our case semis) there and it was our responsibility to pay attention. I remember being told this since I was very young.

On the other hand being told that doesn't mean it works. I've been hit twice in my life. Once by a semi and once by a car.

What gets overlooked is that a 9 or 12 year old having fun sledding down the drive can easily forget the danger of the street. At our last house we had neighbors that put up that plastic fencing used for stopping snow at the end of the drive when the kids wanted to sled. Smart people.

Old 01-06-2018, 01:58 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
Quote:
Schools were closed and the child was 12. At 12 one would expect some common sense to not sled down a driveway into the street. Being attended to is not the issue. Attention to where the child was is the issue. If the schools are closed and it's 27 outside, the child should not have been outside.
27 degrees F is a mild May morning where I am. Hell, we've even had June mornings that cold in some years. 27 is not cold at all. -27 on the other hand is.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:08 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,744 times
Default Accidents Are Meant to Happen

Accidents are meant to happen, otherwise there would be no "accidents!" Very sadly, and unfortunately, many accidents are severe. I feel for this family...

Old 01-06-2018, 03:24 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
Quote:
A child dies sledding down a driveway into street. So where were the parent(s)?

Police: Child killed in sledding accident in Chester | WRIC

You blame the parents, I blame the sun. Where was the sun? If the sun was out, it wouldn't be as cold and could've prevented this accident.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:36 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
You blame the parents, I blame the sun. Where was the sun? If the sun was out, it wouldn't be as cold and could've prevented this accident.
Truth
Also the school's fault..If they had been in session, the kid wouldn't have been sledding

Old 01-06-2018, 04:01 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Truth
Also the school's fault..If they had been in session, the kid wouldn't have been sledding
A lot of people complain about school closings and blame it on lawsuits, but we had snow days even in the late 60's when I was in elementary school which was way before lawsuits became the defacto knee-jerk response to an accident. I remember clear as day sitting at the breakfast table listening to the radio praying to hear "551" or whatever our number was. If you turned the radio on when they were on 114, you had a long wait, lol.

I don't think even businesses that aren't essential should make employees come in when it's heavy snow. I saw a man interviewed trying in vain to get to his job at a verizon wireless store. Are people really going phone shopping in a blizzard with zero visibility?

Old 01-06-2018, 04:12 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
A lot of people complain about school closings and blame it on lawsuits, but we had snow days even in the late 60's when I was in elementary school which was way before lawsuits became the defacto knee-jerk response to an accident. I remember clear as day sitting at the breakfast table listening to the radio praying to hear "551" or whatever our number was. If you turned the radio on when they were on 114, you had a long wait, lol.

I don't think even businesses that aren't essential should make employees come in when it's heavy snow. I saw a man interviewed trying in vain to get to his job at a verizon wireless store. Are people really going phone shopping in a blizzard with zero visibility?
I was kidding..
No ones fault.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:26 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I was kidding..
No ones fault.
I know, but some earlier posts were doing that "kids are snowflakes today? thing. I knew you were not.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:41 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wonder that too--is it worth it to make employees risk their necks in at best inconvenient and at worst dangerous conditions (especially if they're relying on public transportation that might not be running) to open the store, which costs money for utilities and payroll, when most people aren't going to be shopping for shoes or whatever, anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events