Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 08:34 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Happened in our town a few years ago. 16 year old kid walking down the track the the engineer laying on his horn and the train just ran over him.

I would not have believed it if I did not know of it first hand.
Hit by train:
This reminds me of a speeding ticket I got years ago as I rocked out to a favorite song at full blast. I never heard the siren until he was beside me. The police officer said with amusement, “Everyone stopped but you.” What can I say? I was embarrassed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 08:40 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,393,640 times
What a sad story...only 11 years old. Damn next time I think I am having a bad day I'll think of this tragic and sad story.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:17 AM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
This reminds me of a speeding ticket I got years ago as I rocked out to a favorite song at full blast. I never heard the siren until he was beside me. The police officer said with amusement, “Everyone stopped but you.” What can I say? I was embarrassed.
Did he yell “stop resisting” “get on the ground” & taze you AFTER he pulled you out of the car and had your face in the pavement with his knee on your neck?

Old 01-08-2018, 07:26 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Did he yell “stop resisting” “get on the ground” & taze you AFTER he pulled you out of the car and had your face in the pavement with his knee on your neck?
Amazing how a story about a girl getting hit by a train turns into a cop hater post.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:28 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Very tragic! As I was sitting at the stoplight I saw two teenage girls walking down the sidewalk, both looking down at their phones. . . one of the gals walked right smack into a streetlight pole. She could have just as easily walked into the street and been hit by a car. Hopefully she learned a lesson before it was too late.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:40 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
More than a few times I have almost been hit on the highway when a person on a cell phone riding along side me veers into my lane.

Old 01-08-2018, 07:47 AM

19,621 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Whats a 11 yr old doing outside wearing headphone and iPhone crossing a railroad track? Forget trains, she could easily gotten kidnapped or run over by a car.

A lot of children her age are kidnapped because their parents did not protect them.
A typical 11 year old should be able to be outside unsupervised in the daytime. It's the distracted issue with phones, it affects adults too.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:01 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Well, usually when products start causing harm and even death, there are always calls demanding tougher regulations on access to them, and ability to use (cell service).

Its a sad story, and no ones really at fault, but I do feel some responsibility lies on cell phone manufacturers, their causing too much of a distraction is not exactly a new thing, yet what they have done to change this? Why has cell phone tech pretty much plateaued for the past 3-4 years, whats stopping them from introducing the next big thing?

Old 01-08-2018, 09:07 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
I see people do this all the time when I'm driving through a parking lot. Young people are completely lost in their phones, having no idea what's going on around them. When they finally see me they retain a blank look in their eyes. It's almost zombie-like. They'll continue walking, with their focus back on their phones.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:15 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Whats a 11 yr old doing outside wearing headphone and iPhone crossing a railroad track? Forget trains, she could easily gotten kidnapped or run over by a car.

A lot of children her age are kidnapped because their parents did not protect them.
FYI, there is a train track that runs right through the downtown section of my city, through my residential neighborhood about 4 blocks west of my street - it actually runs parallel to my street, and I drive across it when I am coming home from points west, because it crosses the streets that border my block on the north and south sides. Which means this track is also crossing sidewalks as well as streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events