Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 07:34 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Fact:
Jeanette LeBlanc died from a vibrio infection.

Fact:
Jeanette LeBlanc had recently consumed oysters.

Fact:
Oysters are a common vector for vibrio to humans.

There's nothing remotely actionable - or, for that matter, irresponsible - in the article. Nothing. At. All. On the other hand, I'm sure some people are cheering for the 'oyster industry' to sue, even knowing they have no case, just to bully others who might consider reporting entirely unactionable news such as this.

All of this doesn't not mean that she definitely got the infection from oysters. But she may well have. The article indicates as much. Those claiming that she could not have gotten it from the oysters don't know what they're talking about. Why people who like certain foods going into full-denial mode over the risks is beyond me. It's illogical and, frankly, juvenile. To use just one personal example, I eat raw fish, but I don't run around claiming that this doesn't entail certain elevated risks over cooked fish. Why would I do something so absurd? I wouldn't. Nor should others wallow in absurdity.

PS - For those observing that she must have contracted vibrio from wading in water because others ate oysters with the woman, two points:

1) How many thousands of people do you suppose 'waded in water' in the same area around the same time? Obviously, one person can catch something while another person doesn't. This applies to wading in water just the same as to eating oysters.

2) Do you think LeBlanc and her friends shared individuals oysters? Of course not. Obviously - obviously - not all oysters carry vibrio. In all likelihood, only a small number did. Maybe only one. Those oysters were purchased at a market. Oysters are harvested in various areas by various harvesters. Even if the harvesters sell direct to the market, you've got oysters from a wide variety of sources. There is zero reason to think that because someone else consumed oysters with LeBlanc and did not contract vibrio, LeBlanc could not have gotten her infection from the oysters.

I didn't read that an autopsy proved it was death by oysters. Until it does, its speculation and rumor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 08:21 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Fact:
Jeanette LeBlanc died from a vibrio infection.

Fact:
Jeanette LeBlanc had recently consumed oysters.

Fact:
LeBlanc's partner also consumed the same oysters and didn't get sick.

Fact:
Oysters are a common vector for vibrio to humans.

Fact:
Wading in brackish water is also a common vector for vibrio to humans

Fact:
LeBlanc had been crabbing in brackish water with open sores on her legs. (Others may have waded in the same waters, but apparently didn't have open sores)

Fact:
LeBlanc's infection most severely impacted her legs.

There's an old saying that when you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras. In other words, go for what's obvious ... in this case, the open sores in brackish water.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:34 AM

666 posts, read 512,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
All of this doesn't not mean that she definitely got the infection from oysters. But she may well have. The article indicates as much. Those claiming that she could not have gotten it from the oysters don't know what they're talking about. Why people who like certain foods going into full-denial mode over the risks is beyond me. It's illogical and, frankly, juvenile. To use just one personal example, I eat raw fish, but I don't run around claiming that this doesn't entail certain elevated risks over cooked fish. Why would I do something so absurd? I wouldn't. Nor should others wallow in absurdity.
No, you are the one who has no idea what you're talking about. From CBS News:

Quote:
"People can get infected with Vibrio vulnificus when they eat raw shellfish," Florida Health Department spokeswoman Mara Burger said in a statement. "Since it is naturally found in warm marine waters, people with open wounds can be exposed to Vibrio vulnificus through direct contact with seawater."

When the bacterium is eaten in contaminated food, symptoms of the disease include vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain. When Vibrio vulnificus enters the body through an open wound, it can cause infections that may lead to skin breakdown and ulcers -- the notorious "flesh-eating" symptoms.
In other words, you don't get flesh eating disease from eating oysters or any other food item that is contaminated with Vibrio vulnificus. You get food poisoning. You get flesh eating disease if a wound gets exposed to the bacteria in the waters that the contaminated food came from.

There are dozens of medical journals on this topic. There is not one on the planet that says that you can get flesh eating disease from eating stuff. It's universally recognized as an illness you can get when wounds on your body are infected with contaminated water or some other substance.

So what's illogical and juvenile is defending poorly researched garbage that leads the wrong impression that oysters will give people flesh eating bacteria if they eat them, when it's exposing a wound to the water that they were contaminated with that will do it.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:35 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,077,083 times
I know it COULD be the oysters, but I am leaning towards the open sores in the water given what we know thus far.

Old 01-09-2018, 08:57 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
could have rubbed the contaminated raw oysters on her open and festering wounds

Old 01-09-2018, 09:04 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Since she didn't seem to have any digestive symptoms at all, as per the article, it seems highly unlikely vibrio entered through her stomach.

Last edited by ClaraC; 01-09-2018 at 09:15 AM..

Old 01-09-2018, 09:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Man eats pizza for dinner. Man gets shot in face by crazy person after pizza dinner.

Headline "Man dies after eating pizza".

Old 01-09-2018, 09:32 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I know it COULD be the oysters, but I am leaning towards the open sores in the water given what we know thus far.

As are most reasonable people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Man eats pizza for dinner. Man gets shot in face by crazy person after pizza dinner.

Headline "Man dies after eating pizza".
Yep. That certainly fits this story.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:31 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,560,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I'm just glad I don't eat seafood.
You can die from e. coli from a burger or a romaine lettuce.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:54 AM

666 posts, read 512,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Since she didn't seem to have any digestive symptoms at all, as per the article, it seems highly unlikely vibrio entered through her stomach.
The Daily Mail has pics. She contracted the bacteria via open wounds on her leg. Ironically, even though it posted plenty of graphic pics of her legs, the DM kept pushing the narrative that she got the illness "after eating oysters."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events