Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 11:24 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
According to a recent study, there’s a stunning new answer to the age-old question, ‘What do you want to be when you grow up?’

Three-quarters of young people are considering a career in the online video industry, reports The Sun, citing a survey of 1,000 kids and teens aged six to 17 conducted by travel company First Choice. At the same time, according to the survey, one in 25 children said they wanted to be a model while one in six said they harbored pop star aspirations. At the top of the list, however, more than one-third of respondents said they wanted to be a YouTuber.
The Most-Desired Career Among Young People Today Is

Last edited by toosie; 01-13-2018 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: Edited for copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 07:59 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Why not? When you can make 5, 6 and even sometimes 7 figures a year and still be in grade school/high school, probably out-earning your parents, in some instances, go for it.

Just look at the so-called "family vloggers" that make daily vlogs with their kids from the day they are born and on up from there. Some say they are exploiting their kids you views, which they probably are, but many can make 6 figures a year or more doing it.

It's called social entrepreneurs, using YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, etc. to make a living.

Just look at Logan Paul (whom I can't stand), but the guy supposed earned $11 million last year, his younger brother $9 million, who knows what they earned before that. What 22-year-old with no college education/degree wouldn't want to make $11 million a year!

Old 01-13-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Why not? When you can make 5, 6 and even sometimes 7 figures a year and still be in grade school/high school, probably out-earning your parents, in some instances, go for it.

Just look at the so-called "family vloggers" that make daily vlogs with their kids from the day they are born and on up from there. Some say they are exploiting their kids you views, which they probably are, but many can make 6 figures a year or more doing it.

It's called social entrepreneurs, using YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, etc. to make a living.

Just look at Logan Paul (whom I can't stand), but the guy supposed earned $11 million last year, his younger brother $9 million, who knows what they earned before that. What 22-year-old with no college education/degree wouldn't want to make $11 million a year!
Oh no, I certainly agree that these ventures can be lucrative enough to substitute jobs. Especially the part-time style jobs teens tend to look for (i.e. bagging groceries at Krogers, working at Hot Topic, etc).

Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Its ok to let kids dream. One of mine wants to be a youtuber but she also is too shy to try. I imagine she will change her mind at some point. But youtubers are the new rock/tv/movie stars for this generation.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:25 AM

Heck, you don't even need exceptional creativity for lucrativity to come about. Even something as simple (and common) as posting random facts online get get you fame:
How a 23-year-old makes $500,000 a year tweeting random facts - Business Insider

Old 01-13-2018, 10:45 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Ive never understood how people are actually making money from Youtube, I can understand how a popular video can cause alot of people to click and watch, but how does that translate into money? Is Youtube cutting them a check based on number of people who watch, or ...?

Im not sure how commercial ads come into play either, anytime I click a link that leads to a Youtube video, I dont see many ads, sometimes there are short ads before the video, but usually you can skip those after about 3-4 seconds, so...?

Old 01-13-2018, 11:12 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive never understood how people are actually making money from Youtube, I can understand how a popular video can cause alot of people to click and watch, but how does that translate into money? Is Youtube cutting them a check based on number of people who watch, or ...?

Im not sure how commercial ads come into play either, anytime I click a link that leads to a Youtube video, I dont see many ads, sometimes there are short ads before the video, but usually you can skip those after about 3-4 seconds, so...?
There's a multitude of ways people make money off of YouTube, the 1st being Google AdSense, where depending how big or small you are on YouTube, you can earn anywhere from $1 for 1,000 views up to $5 for 1,000 views.

So if you see a video, lets say it has 1,000,000 views, that person got at least $1,000 and maybe up to $5,000 from Google AdSense for that video. If it has 50,000,000 views (viral video), they made anywhere from $50,000 to $250,000 on that single video.

Next way is "brand deals" where a brand will pay a YouTuber a flat fee, say $5,000 or $20,000 or $100,000 to promote or use their product and/or talk about it in one of their videos. Other type of brand deals involve getting "free vacations" to places by resorts that what you to feature them in one of your videos, especially if you are a travel vlogger.

Another way people make money is by "affiliated links" in the descriptions of their videos. The most common is Amazon, where if someone clicks on the Amazon link in your description and buys, say the camera or the lens or the makeup, you use, they get a small percentage of that sale. Some YouTubers can earn $10,000 or more per month (you can do the math), just by people using their affiliated links.

A forth way, is my selling merch or merchandise, like t-shirts, sweatshirts, posters, coffee mugs, whatever. Lots of YouTubers do this and they don't have to share anything with Google/YouTube, all the profits are theirs.

Another lucrative way is by Patreon, which also cuts out Google/YouTube. With Google demonetizing videos and cracking down on questionable content, YouTubers have noticed the "good times" where the money just kept flowing in from AdSense, is now drying up so they turned to Patreon.

With Patreon, think of it as a "tip jar" where people pay you every month or every time you put out a video on YouTube because they like your content. Usually, but not always, people who give on Patreon, get certain perks and "special content" they can only see and view. Some of the big "Sailing YouTubers" earn more than $10,000 every time they upload a video, and most put out one video a week, so there's over $500,000 a year, for just sailing around the world!

I hope all of that helped!

Old 01-13-2018, 01:59 PM

272 posts, read 184,146 times
It's a viable career in today's time. Let them dream, maybe they can be the next nigahiga!

Old 01-13-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
There's a multitude of ways people make money off of YouTube...
Yup, and quite a few of these features can be accomplished on other social media (i.e. Instagram, Twitter, etc).

Old 01-13-2018, 02:56 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:

It's true. It's ridiculous how much vloggers make for showcasing their daily lives. People are probably going to jump on me for this, but I think it's unfair. They don't deserve it. They have no skills, aside from learning to edit over time. They happen to just get lucky... and yeah, it's unfair. And yeah, maybe life isn't fair... but that doesn't mean that family vloggers who live boring lives but make all this money for sharing it, and often exploiting their kids and engaging in clickbait, is fair. A lot of people wind up quitting their jobs when their family makes it big vlogging. I think grown a** adults should treat it as a hobby and not a job, because I think it's a very unstable source of income, but that's just me. One of the few exceptions to all of this I find is Casey Neistat, who actually lives an interesting life and has filmmaking talent and works in that industry.

But there are some issues regardless. Most people who try YT don't make it. It's very hard to reach that point where you're making good money and can survive on it. And two, how long will it last? YT is now going through demonetization processes for those who exploit their children and otherwise post inappropriate content. I honestly think this may be the end of YT vloggers, even if a slow beginning to an end.

I think makeup, hair, gaming youtubers, ones like that, have more of a chance of long-term success than daily, mundane vloggers. And it's difficult to gain such popularity in those areas, too. I think YT is already oversaturated with people who think they can make it with all types of content. In reality, most people want to watch attractive, funny people who have high quality equipment and good editing skills. A lot of people out there who will try it won't make it because they don't meet those criteria alone.

I can't fault naive kids for wanting this type of life, hell I wouldn't hate it as an adult lol, but I hope their parents try their best to steer them away from this type of thing and bring them down to reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events