Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 05:05 PM

102,052 posts, read 106,836,948 times

Advertisements

Does anyone see a problem here, with homeschooling, and how it facilitates hiding this type of situation? This isn't the only case of abused kids being homeschooled, and eventually discovered by authorities. There was another spectacular case a few years ago, that got made into a film for TV; a family with a Peruvian father, who was also very religious, IIRC.

http://people.com/movies/the-wolfpac...locked-inside/

Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 PM

23,860 posts, read 32,125,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I couldn't help but go to the Dugger 19 children. They are in a religious type cult too but nothing like this horrid story. All these girls, long dresses, no hand holding, homeschooling etc. Again, different.
On the same spectrum. Same features - exertion of extreme control, hyper-religiosity, mega family etc.

The parents went to Disney World and had an Elvis impersonator officiate at their renewal of vows because they enjoyed those things. The parents are in a state of "arrested development" and want to keep the kids with them.

It's also odd that Pentecostals would gamble in Las Vegas - or any place. That is one thing forbidden by most an agreed upon as a "no no".

I have Pentecostal relatives who wear strapless dresses and do go to Disney World, so that doesn't strike me as that odd.

The combination of gambling and Disney theme park addiction - as well as the Elvis officiant, seems to say that the parents liked to have a good time, mom liked to look stylish - but the daughters had to wear very modestly - and age inappropriately - but the daughters had to look prim and frumpy.

All very strange.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:58 PM

4,234 posts, read 3,671,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Does anyone see a problem here, with homeschooling, and how it facilitates hiding this type of situation? This isn't the only case of abused kids being homeschooled, and eventually discovered by authorities. There was another spectacular case a few years ago, that got made into a film for TV; a family with a Peruvian father, who was also very religious, IIRC.

<em>The Wolfpack</em> Documentary: How Could 7 Kids Grow Up Locked Inside? | PEOPLE.com
Absolutely. It completely takes away a safety net, in terms of the children being seen by other adults. Aside from the issues of neglect and abuse, as well as trauma that many of these kids experience, they are also isolated in terms of the information they are exposed to and what they can learn. So they often learn no science, and really skewed versions of history. (And even subjects that aren't subject to any sort of interpretation, such as math are often woefully inadequate, and some people who have survived homeschooling have spoken about not being able to do basic math, and how difficult community college was, since they had to teach themselves so much.)

Old 01-16-2018, 06:09 PM

2,074 posts, read 2,001,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I know this will upset some people but whenever I hear the words "A good Christian family" I want to scream "run, run away"
You are not alone , I feel the same way .

Old 01-16-2018, 06:13 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,551,673 times
What is mind boggling, the older children (adults) and what I'm hearing about mal nourished and growth stunted, didn't the grandparents see this on their Calif visit. These young adults did not get this way overnight, did they? So much to be revealed if we ever hear it all.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:47 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,302,454 times
It had been 4-5 years since the grandparents visit.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:49 PM

26,633 posts, read 28,419,191 times
Quote:
What is mind boggling, the older children (adults) and what I'm hearing about mal nourished and growth stunted, didn't the grandparents see this on their Calif visit. These young adults did not get this way overnight, did they? So much to be revealed if we ever hear it all.
I only speed read that article but it seemed that the grandparents never got to see the kids. Someone (grandparents?) would arrive only to be told to go home and not given directions on how to get there to see the kids.

The crazy parents got away with this by not sending them to school (I think some law should be passed that either kids attend school or a school representative be sent to the home every so often) and probably by brainwashing the kids with "religion."

Religion is ok but I'm always skeptical of any extreme, fanatical type of religion. Mega churches, tv churches, churches that have crazy strict rules. The parents went ahead and had 13 children because God told them to...I'm always skeptical of "God told me to do it." This type of person can believe that God told them to kill someone! And this type of person often uses "religion" as a means of controlling people, telling them that God wants them to do this or that.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:19 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,676,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

<em>The Wolfpack</em> Documentary: How Could 7 Kids Grow Up Locked Inside? | PEOPLE.com
I do. I actually know a lot of very successful home schoolers, but they're in homeschooler networks and other adults see their kids regularly.

Sometimes there's a homeschool co-op thing, where one parent who has expertise in science teaches that, etc. And their kids do fare better academically compared to public school kids.

Of real concern to me are cases where CPS is called a few times by the school, and there is apparent abuse going on, and then the child is suddenly withdrawn and home schooled.

In those cases, IMHO, that should warrant an immediate CPS visit to the home, unannounced.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:20 PM

4,686 posts, read 2,556,388 times
these kids will never be right in their mind or body..anyone that does this to their own children should be put down..

Old 01-16-2018, 07:29 PM

35,512 posts, read 17,676,943 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I completely understand the "growth stunted" thing being reported. In the pics, many were adult height. I don't see how people who are adult height but emaciated would be mistaken for children.

There's a lot of stuff here that might be made more clear in the coming days. When you look at the kids in the wedding vows renewal/elvis pictures, they clearly weren't growth stunted. If later, more recently they became terribly thin I wouldn't confuse them for children.

Don't know what to make of all of this. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events