Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2018, 03:27 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,291,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Were the three chained to the bed only at night, I wonder, or was this kind of a constant? What was the "filth" - was it excrement, or was it dirty laundry and piled up food in the kitchen?
So far nobody has alluded to or stated where the filth or stink originated but I think with 15 people living in one house there's bound to be...some of that if there isn't daily housekeeping, weekly cleaning and laundry done every single day (in their case). I'm one person and I do that every week or every day if it is necessary for one reason or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yep posted that earlier - I think people are not wanting to speculate about dad being a sex creep yet. My money is on him having abused at least some of those girls. What kind of guy watches their sister in law in the shower like its no big deal?... Pervert.
Yep he seems to be a pig (sorry pigs) and I have seen it brought up in some poster commentary but I had never seen that particular comment in previous online news articles. Let's face it, and I typically don't comment (aloud or in writing) about anyone's looks, however that father is the epitome of...a creep with a capital C. No redeeming physical characteristics whatsoever, makes me want to throw up just seeing his photos online.

Apologies in advance for my observation.

This entire story is beyond human comprehension.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:37 PM

14,249 posts, read 11,550,945 times
Quote:
This document says in California, home schooled kids are prohibited from participation in public school sports.

https://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/Issu...ual_Access.pdf
Every state has its own rules, and they can vary depending on the activity. My two homeschooled nephews were able to participate in the band and orchestra at the local public high school here in California, although apparently sports are disallowed.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:43 PM

5,117 posts, read 3,388,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I see that too.

Where on earth did she get those dresses worn at the vow renewal? The whole family (except the wife) looks stuck in the seventies.
duggarsRus

Old 01-17-2018, 03:46 PM

25,756 posts, read 21,911,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
One of the problems I have with homeschooling is that it covers up the very real possibility of abuse.
One of the problems that I saw with my son in school was that is covered up the very real possibility of abuse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I'll be shocked if we don't soon hear "This couple has previously been investigated by Child Services Authorities". They usually leave children in abusive situations due to indifference, and overwhelming caseloads.
Exactly. And, adding more requirements that serve only to be a pain to other homeschoolers would add no protection, just a false sense of security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Before I read this, I guessed two things - that they were some brand of religious fanatics, and that they home schooled.

While I am not against all home schooling, it does seem to lend itself to some horrific child abuse cases. I think a representative from the school district would make regular visits to home schooled children.

Mega churches and mega families. Don't trust either one.
Horrific child abuse doesn't have a place where it happens, it has people that make it happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Does anyone see a problem here, with homeschooling, and how it facilitates hiding this type of situation? This isn't the only case of abused kids being homeschooled, and eventually discovered by authorities. There was another spectacular case a few years ago, that got made into a film for TV; a family with a Peruvian father, who was also very religious, IIRC.

<em>The Wolfpack</em> Documentary: How Could 7 Kids Grow Up Locked Inside? | PEOPLE.com
No, I don't see how homeschooling facilitates abuse. Ever been to a school lately and see how children are often treated, emotional scaring can be just as detrimental as physical. Not to mention that the teachers are most often poor role models and some of the kids should be in juvy rather than school.

Quote:
I do. I actually know a lot of very successful home schoolers, but they're in homeschooler networks and other adults see their kids regularly.

Sometimes there's a homeschool co-op thing, where one parent who has expertise in science teaches that, etc. And their kids do fare better academically compared to public school kids.

Of real concern to me are cases where CPS is called a few times by the school, and there is apparent abuse going on, and then the child is suddenly withdrawn and home schooled.

In those cases, IMHO, that should warrant an immediate CPS visit to the home, unannounced.
No, excellent homeschoolers are caring parents who take on the task of educating their children.

I would think that CPS would continue making contact with the family, although we know they may not. Many children are abused and never let anyone know, especially when it comes to sexual abuse.

Homeschooling is not the problem. The parents are the problems along with people that noticed something but didn't want to become involved.

The homeschooling associations are strong, the schools mostly suck, so let's not pretend the problem would have been solved if the children were in school. School personnel can work pretty hard not to see an issue too.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:49 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,542,585 times
This is too often what happens with "home-schooled" kids. They are isolated from society, have no one to turn to, and are easy victims. How about we just fix our public schools?

The Turpin child abuse story fits a widespread and disturbing homeschooling pattern - LA Times

Old 01-17-2018, 03:57 PM

14,249 posts, read 11,550,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
This is too often what happens with "home-schooled" kids. They are isolated from society, have no one to turn to, and are easy victims.
"All too often" children in public school and private school are bullied, sexually abused, preyed on by drug pushers, and even shot. Why exactly are you picking on home schools?

Quote:
How about we just fix our public schools?
Oh sure! It's as easy as that!

Old 01-17-2018, 04:26 PM

35,521 posts, read 17,797,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
One of the problems that I saw with my son in school was that is covered up the very real possibility of abuse.

Exactly. And, adding more requirements that serve only to be a pain to other homeschoolers would add no protection, just a false sense of security.

Horrific child abuse doesn't have a place where it happens, it has people that make it happen.

No, I don't see how homeschooling facilitates abuse. Ever been to a school lately and see how children are often treated, emotional scaring can be just as detrimental as physical. Not to mention that the teachers are most often poor role models and some of the kids should be in juvy rather than school.

No, excellent homeschoolers are caring parents who take on the task of educating their children.

I would think that CPS would continue making contact with the family, although we know they may not. Many children are abused and never let anyone know, especially when it comes to sexual abuse.

Homeschooling is not the problem. The parents are the problems along with people that noticed something but didn't want to become involved.

The homeschooling associations are strong, the schools mostly suck, so let's not pretend the problem would have been solved if the children were in school. School personnel can work pretty hard not to see an issue too.
I see it differently. Very few parents have across-the-board knowledge to successfully teach all high school subjects including chemistry, foreign language, physics, and everything else. A decently educated parent could teach elementary school, but when it comes to higher subjects in high school, their kids would miss out on excellent teaching if they didn't join a co-op. There's a homeschooled network here that does debate and speech tournaments, for example, something a parent really could NOT do by themselves.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:32 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,697,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Are you aware that homeschooled students, as a group, far outperform public school students academically? It's really absurd to claim that public schools are superior because they produce stellar results. That is sheer propaganda put out by those who know that every child who doesn't go to public school means less money for the school.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-tests/245036/

I could rephrase your bolded sentence as, "There are SO many underperforming public schools which don't do it right, and the kids end up horribly uneducated, at best." Is that not, indeed, the truth?

I think the blame being put on homeschooling for this sad case in Riverside is a red herring, anyway. Many, perhaps a majority, of the "kids" were over legal schooling age anyway. What if they all had been? Do you blame "homeschooling" for parents' keeping their ADULT children confined to the house in squalid circumstances?
I don't know how you hallucinated that I said "public schools were superior because they produce stellar results."

Yes, it is true that homeschooling *CAN* give an excellent education. But if you do even a cursory web search, you'll see stories of homeschooled children who were victims of their Christian cults who knew nothing after "graduating" from their homeschool. They had to do some serious remedial math and reading in order to take community college level classes. Most of the cults who homeschool do not have their children take any sort of test to show any sort of knowledge. They don't go on to college or have real jobs, so there is no way to take them into account to gauge any measure of "success" or school performance.

Without question there are huge issues with many of our public schools. But that doesn't mean we throw everything out and decide simply not to educate anyone. It also shouldn't mean that we don't want to watch out for children or insure that they are protected from abuse or provided with a decent education.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:48 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,639,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
When the parents are asked to explain themselves they will probably say God wanted them to do this and quote a bunch of bible verses.

Since I can't imagine the reality in my mind, I think of tragic movies like Carrie and the Virgin Suicides with kids suffering under the yoke of nutty over religious abusively strict parents.

I always felt bad for the kids who couldn't go out and have fun with us because of too strict parents who controlled their every move. It seemed like more than just over protective parents, something worse, and it is sad for the kids to be so constrained.

I can't imagine it to this level and I'll bet the parents don't think they did anything really wrong.
I read in one of the links, the children were schooled to memorize the bible. I have an adult neighbor who does that..no children involved, thank goodness.

I'm not discussing home schooling but I truly believe public/private schools and socialization are very very important to the children's growth. And bullying is isolated and not everyone goes thru bullying...no one should be faced with that. There are sadly many adult bullies out there too.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-17-2018 at 06:12 PM..

Old 01-17-2018, 05:08 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,143,853 times
I thought I posted my thoughts on this before but guess my mind clearly isn't remembering correctly...

Why is it people, neighbors/family see something that they feel/see if off and don't do anything? I just don't understand people's way of thinking sometimes. You hear these neighbors of these loony's say they thought something was off. How does someone see children putting sod down in the dark with the mother overseeing them with a flashlight!?!

You don't want to get involved - call CPS/DSS anonymously!!! If you're wrong, you can sleep better knowing you did something other than doing nothing at all. It's just sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events