Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 09:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motownnative View Post
That's great, I think the bolded part is the key. Lots of kids aren't part of any group. The one I know definitely was not. That's why it's good to listen to other people's experience. You are talking about a child who has been to Europe and I am speaking of one who wasn't allowed to spend the night away from home from the 1st - 12th grade.
Which should tell you there is as much difference on the homeschooling spectrum as there is in the public schooling sphere.

So stop making this into a homeschool issue. Its not.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Which should tell you there is as much difference on the homeschooling spectrum as there is in the public schooling sphere.

I read all your recent comments and I wish I could give out more rep!

Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 AM

2,180 posts, read 2,316,671 times
I haven't read all of the replies and maybe I'm missing some updates. But there was certainly enough odd behavior that someone should have initiated a welfare check being done on these kids. And the extended family knew enough (unless they're off their rockers, too) to push the issue. The "not my responsibility" approach is wrong. We don't need proof that something is wrong, we need perception and an awareness that something may be wrong in order to help those who can't help themselves.

The sister should have called CPS.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:23 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post

No one is making this into a homeschooling issue. The isolation can hide abuses like this. That should be obvious.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:29 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Quote:
No one is making this into a homeschooling issue. The isolation can hide abuses like this. That should be obvious.
A million things can hide abuses. Lots of kids in public school are abused at home.

Old 01-18-2018, 10:55 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,179,127 times
California torture house: 13 siblings allowed to eat once a day, shower twice a year

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...shower-n838671

Quote:
The 13 starving siblings held captive in a California house were allowed to eat only one rationed meal a day and shower just twice a year, a law enforcement official with knowledge of the case told NBC News.
and:

Quote:
“They were just like any ordinary family,” said Betty Turpin, the 81-year-old mother of David Turpin. “And they had such good relationships. I’m not just saying this stuff. These kids — we were amazed. They were ‘sweetie’ this and ‘sweetie’ that to each other.”

I don't know about anyone else's family, but I don't know a bunch of siblings that ever call each other sweetie, sisters or brothers, not of that age! Is the family of these people deaf, dumb or blind...maybe all three!?!

Old 01-18-2018, 10:59 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I doubt these kids were home schooled at all. The mom couldn't have taught any courses. What was the lesson plan, marching around the room at night. The whole home school thing was just to keep the government off their backs.
Will these children ever have any kind of a near normal life. The mother didn't even have a high school education and she taught home school? The 29 yr old supposedly looks like 15. Very very tragic destroyed lives.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:02 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,312,007 times
[quote=Magritte25;50733873] And truth be told, depending on the state (like Pennsylvania), these homeschooling families are still paying school taxes even though their kids aren't in the schools. So they, IMO, have every right in the world to take advantage of the public school sports for their homeschooled children. [/QUOTE]

I concur! So, whether one decides to homeschool, a Montessori school, a Catholic school or any other option where parents pay the costs/tuition...they are still paying taxes to support the public school system. It is the price we pay to live in a society which offers the public various needs and amenities.

School taxes are a necessary evil when it comes to owning a home or business. If one rents they are undoubtedly paying as well so the landlord can afford their taxes.

Quote:
I can say this with surety; there is no other time in your life you will be exposed to as many opportunities to make friends or have dating opportunities than in your high school or college years
Exposed being the defining word and not always a positive experience for all children. By the time my middle child and my youngest were ready for high school I was compelled to make other choices. The day I registered my middle child at school, an hour after we left a young man was shot in the head (in front of the school, outside) and killed AND this is a public school with metal detectors at the entrance and many local police throughout. My girlfriend worked at the school and called me immediately to make sure we were safe and not still on school grounds, my husband was horrified but in total agreement on my decision. My children are of the Orthodox religion but I sent them to the best Catholic High Schools (2 different ones;all girls and all boys), 2 towns over. It was not inexpensive by any measure and obviously I still paid taxes for our district schools.

My children had many, many opportunities for social interactions not to mention attending schools with an ethos that matched our moral and social beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Homeschooled kids do not usually sit around home 24/7 either by the way. My friends that do it with their kids have their kids out and about doing things that kids stuck in school 8 hours a day can't do. They all have lots of friends and social interaction.
This

Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
I haven't read all of the replies and maybe I'm missing some updates. But there was certainly enough odd behavior that someone should have initiated a welfare check being done on these kids. And the extended family knew enough (unless they're off their rockers, too) to push the issue. The "not my responsibility" approach is wrong. We don't need proof that something is wrong, we need perception and an awareness that something may be wrong in order to help those who can't help themselves.

The sister should have called CPS.
Family dynamics are weird.

I grew up 1000 miles away from my extended family. I can't remember even once speaking on the phone wih my aunts and uncles. While my mom was very close to her mother, so we talked to my grandmother weekly, I don't remember ever speaking to my other grandparents on the phone. I could go years without seeing my aunts and uncles. We never did family gatherings for holidays - Thanksgiving was always just the 4 of us in my parents' home. In the internet age there is less of an excuse, but family dynamics are strange things.

Not to mention if these kids were brainwashed (and it sounds like there were - emotional abuse is horrible), they may not have sounded the alarms themselves. My parents were horribly abusive (though absolutely nothing like this) and none of my family had any idea until we were adults and cut them out of our lives. Our teachers knew and tried to intervene, though they were limited because it was emotional abuse and my mother worked for the school system and managed to squash suspicions.

One of the uncles in this scenario was an infant whe his sister left home and had no real relationship with her. I think it's hard to pin this on the siblings.

The grandparents, on the other hand, sound delusional.

Old 01-18-2018, 11:20 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,927,974 times
I said a short while ago that this is not a homeschooling issue per se. However, it isn't surprising that the real issue (isolation) and homeschooling as a practice are being conflated. I could be very wrong, but I do not suspect that there is anywhere else in the developed world where parents can legally be just left to it to educate their own children! I know personally a homeschooler. A decent human being, but as for qualifications as an educator? Zero.

Go on a Patent Office website and look through some applications by American companies. Look at the names of the primary authors. Look at America's literacy rate? It's global competitiveness index. Tell me its all good. Even the paid, trained professionals have it hard educated the product of the dysfunctional enclaves that pass for families in much of the U.S. You think you can do better? With what? Your GED? Your "life experience"? Your "moral rigor"?

I don't know why y'all's are getting so wrought over this one example of human failure. There is plenty more where this came from. And it won't get better after Ms. DeVoss has her wicked way with the Federal Education System and the other three Horsemen totally finish of any semblance of civilization that this place had before their advent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events