Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 07:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Is this normal when you homeschool? If not, what is the advantage of dping so, taxes?
Wouldn't you haventp show income?

Then don't keep having them!!!!

Parents arrested after children found shackled and malnourished in Perris home - LA Times
Most who homeschool in CA set up a "school" at your residence. If you don't want to follow an established curriculum you have the option of setting up your own school and doing whatever you want. This is my understanding of it at least and it has nothing to do with money/taxes etc...The only students are their own kids usually.

http://californiahomeschool.net/howTo/psa.htm

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 01-16-2018 at 08:07 AM..

Old 01-16-2018, 07:45 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Do you remember the station?

It was on my local Fox station

Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,020,456 times
Quote:
I've been scouring their Facebook page for the last half hour or so. Some things that struck me as odd:

1. They had not one, but two weddings. One in 2016 and one in 2011. Strange, IMO.

2. When I first saw the page last night, I thought the kids looked pretty normal. After reading that 7 of the kids are actually adults, I went back for another look. What I saw, upon really looking at the photos was sad. You could see the kids look emaciated, sallow, their hair limp... Also several of the children look like they have some sort of eyesight issue. Their overall appearance looks like kids who are unkempt and neglected.

3. The further back you go in the photos, the more you'll see other people besides the mother in law commenting on the photos. I get the feeling the family became more and more isolated as time went on.

I'm still shocked that 7 of those kids in the 2016 photos are actually adults.
Imo, only the boy with the glasses and the last girl on the right hand row look over 18. All of the kids have dental issues and a grayness to their skin.
The clothing is really creepy when you think about the girls that are over 18.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Yes, this family has a story, and it includes bankruptcy: https://heavy.com/news/2018/01/louis...family-perris/

The mother does not seem all there as well: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...orror-11858384

And like most of these women who have ENTIRELY too many children, her eyes look EXHAUSTED..... even when she is smiling, it doesn't reach her eyes......

Old 01-16-2018, 08:31 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
And like most of these women who have ENTIRELY too many children, her eyes look EXHAUSTED..... even when she is smiling, it doesn't reach her eyes......
She reminds me of Andrea Yates, the mother that drowned all of her kids in a bathtub. The father Rusty was also an engineer, mother very mentally ill, they were religious and had too many kids.

If there is any positive here, these victims are lucky to have survived their situation.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:33 AM

836 posts, read 1,778,090 times
Quote:
I've been scouring their Facebook page for the last half hour or so. Some things that struck me as odd....
What's bugging me is how much those Disney trips, tickets, cute matching wedding dresses and other outfits must have cost... probably enough to equal some normal nutrition for the kids! (Unless the majority of this disaster happened in the last couple of years? Still, foodstamps alone should've been enough source for food?)

Old 01-16-2018, 08:39 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,846 times
I know this will upset some people but whenever I hear the words "A good Christian family" I want to scream "run, run away"

Old 01-16-2018, 08:43 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyNewMe View Post
What's bugging me is how much those Disney trips, tickets, cute matching wedding dresses and other outfits must have cost... probably enough to equal some normal nutrition for the kids! (Unless the majority of this disaster happened in the last couple of years? Still, foodstamps alone should've been enough source for food?)
Before the family declared bankruptcy a few years back, one article stated that the father had an income of $11,000/month.

This still seems to be just straight up abuse, and not for lack of money or resources.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:53 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Does the state of CA fund home schools? That would make sense if they got money from the state via a home school set up.
I can answer this question. To homeschool in California, you only need to file a yearly private school affidavit (which it sounds like this family did). No further government contact or oversight is required. However, to get government money to fund your homeschooling, you need to enroll in a charter school which requires that both parents and kid(s) meet with a licensed teacher every three weeks. So this family clearly wasn't getting any state money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
The houses are big and I have never seen houses that are so close that they are almost touching each other, btw.
This made me laugh. Haven't been to California, have you?

Old 01-16-2018, 09:00 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
The children ages 2 to 29? That doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events