Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2018, 09:26 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Not sure what your point is and why you used my post to make it.

We are a country of laws and the law is sufficient imo to deal with these monstrous parents.

Resorting to the tactics of criminals makes us no better than them. I am content to see them locked up for life.
Yes. We do not get to mete out justice, unless we serve on a jury. And even then, the accused gets to make their case first. Saying we wish violence to the Turpins only reflects our own feelings of rage. Justice should be administered without passion.

I am loathe to describe the Turpin’s deeds to mental illness. Someone has speculated that they are narcississists who use their children, when they choose to, as props. That characterization makes the most sense to me at this point. But most narcississists do not torture, starve and cofine their children. For me, these terrible things are simply evil acts. This stuff is evil.

I do want the Turpins to have their reckoning in a court of law, and I do want them sentenced for the rest of their lives, because the law is there to exact justice. Without the law, we are tribes of people exacting revenge.

But. I wonder if the adult offspring will have the inner strength to testify. The case might have to rely on evidence gathered and photographed at the home.

Like everyone else here, I am appalled, and riveted by all of this. I hope the kids are doing OK in what is to them a very strange hospital environment. I hope their health is being repaired. Goodness knows, how their mental health will fare. And imagine how upsetting this change is for the youngest, who probably misses her mommy terribly, and has no way of understanding why she in not with her.

I am glad the kids are out of the home, but there will be a long road ahead for all of them.

By the way, I have read that only 6 of the “kids” are minors.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:33 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I saw the 20/20 story on this case and a few things surprised me. How did the father manage to keep jobs at good companies like Lockheed? At one point he was making $140k a year . Yet the story said that this family kept nocturnal hours where they'd sleep all day and be up all night.

The mother's sister did say how they were obsessed with Disney. Again, I think these parents were child-like narcissists whose children were nothing but props to them which is why they would do odd things like vow renewals in Vegas or get passes to Disneyland. A friend said the mother had stated how she wanted more children. I have seen situations with similarly-cultic families and having babies is a way to retain one's youth. These women are obsessed with being pregnant but have zero interest in children as humans. I think of that Duggar family where after the last child was born with major complications the 44 year old mother announced they would look into adoption. Collecting children is a strange but common obsession with these crazy types. Keeping the children "young" by starving them or even imprisoning them would be a logical outcome.
This whole mess has been going on over 29 yrs since the birth of their first child allegedly. It's all so convoluted.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:40 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Washington Post has a really good article on this today and a perspective I hadn't thought of. The medical team assigned to them had to be particularly positive so the children would not be fearful. They had to choose a small team of very positive staff to deal with them. And they said the older children's relationship with each other is typical of children kept from the outside world, which made me think of that family kept underground in Austria.

"Because doctors and nurses are among the first people the siblings will interact with in the outside world — and because patients can tell if their doctors look discouraged — a limited team of positive, upbeat physicians were handpicked by medical staff to treat the children, according to ABC News.

The heaviness of the siblings’ previous living situation has medical staff at times feeling despondent. One of the nurses, who is 24, falls in line with the ages of the older siblings and is shocked to see firsthand the weight of their abuse, Mark Uffer, the hospital’s CEO, told ABC News.

“It becomes very personal to you. And it hurts to see what another human being can do to another human being. So it does stay with you,” he said. “I don’t think there’s any of us that are involved or have spoken to them or
interacted with them that slept much in the last week because you wake up in the middle of the night worrying about them.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nl_most&wpmm=1

Old 01-20-2018, 11:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
California torture house: 13 siblings allowed to eat once a day, shower twice a year

I don't know about anyone else's family, but I don't know a bunch of siblings that ever call each other sweetie, sisters or brothers, not of that age! Is the family of these people deaf, dumb or blind...maybe all three!?!
If they were deaf, dumb and blind we might overlook that. Unfortunately and to me anyway, it appears they hid their pure and unadulterated evil with their 'homeschooling' and their 'Christian faith'.

So much so that they convinced/brainwashed themselves that they were good people and good parents. Imagine the police come to your door, you KNOW that you have children upstairs who shackled to their beds with padlocks and as has been reported, Mrs. Monster is perplexed as to why the police would be knocking on her door, concerned about her children.

Sounds like child abuse is part and parcel of this family going back at least to Louise's family origins, maybe that's why she married at 16. It's possible she was abused as well and Mr. Monster recognized that in her and capitalized on it and married here. She became his breeder for his evil and maybe she was accustomed to it and 'comfortable' with it. We'll see.

Also, Louise's sister Elizabeth Robinette Flores is a writer and on her homepage a semi-bio profile which goes on to read:

Elizabeth has been through many challenges in her life from child abuse, loss of a baby and even surviving Cancer. She has always dreamed of writing books and being a speaker to minister to others to share how she overcame her life original ‘blueprint’.

http://clpli.com/elizabeth_jane_flores

'I LIVED IN FEAR' Turpin family – Sister of hell house mum reveals their own abusive childhood and how she watched her mother get raped

“Many things I have gone though as a child have caused deep suffering… Being molested, watching my mom being beaten and raped and being abused myself as a child combined to cause the fear of people, especially men.”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5367175/turpin-family-sister-of-hell-house-mum-reveals-their-own-abusive-childhood-and-how-she-watched-her-mother-get-raped/

[quote=charolastra00;50738006] One of the uncles in this scenario was an infant whe his sister left home and had no real relationship with her. I think it's hard to pin this on the siblings. The grandparents on the other hand must be delusional.

Louise's mother had some of her own dark and evil circumstances visited upon her, maybe her husband or another family member. Again, maybe we'll see.

ETA Excellent article Seacove I had not seen this yet, thanks for sharing!

Old 01-20-2018, 12:00 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,233,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think the wedding renewal thing is weird, but there is nothing remotely strange about a family having Disney passes. Living within easy driving distance of Disneyland, it seems I know more families with passes than without! That's an exaggeration, but it really is extremely common and not noteworthy or a red flag at all. In fact, my family of five has had annual passes in the past, though we don't now.
this ^^^

i have had annual passes to disneyland a few times throughout my life. living near disneyland, it is quite normal for someone or a whole family to have passes to go any time you want to go. some people i know would go after school just for a few hours or go every weekend or at least once a week during the summer. there are block out days where you can't go, but most people who live around here don't like to go on days when it is super crowded anyway. (unless you get the most expensive level pass where you can go literally any day of the year. those are expensive!)

it is quite normal to have passes and not something that would raise any red flags at all on it's own.

i do know some people who are "obsessed" with disneyland, though, like where it is a strange obsession. they love all things disney to the point where it is weird. but most people just like to go, go on some rides, and soak in the atmosphere and have some fun and that is it.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:30 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
There was an address posted a few days ago to which caring people could send cards or notes to the adult Turpin siblings, care of the hospital - can anyone point me towards this address? Thanks.

Authorities have asked that any mailings or contributions be limited to either simple, cheery cards or financial contributions for the siblings, as they are overflowing with donated new clothing, games, etc. People want to make up for all the hurt and deprivation...

I am sure any such mail will be checked in advance of passing it along, to eliminate nut-jobs from inserting themselves into the situation.

The 20-20 program last night was riveting, I thought. Sister Elizabeth came across a bit better than in some of her more dubious earlier interviews, but I wish sister Teresa had also been interviewed, as she seems far more sincere and transparent. It's hard to fake tearstains...

The contents of those many journals will be of huge interest to lots of people, clearly. I hope the writers' privacy can be respected as much as possible in regard to the journals, however. They are being compared to Anne Frank's diary in their historic significance (not their literary merit, obviously).

Old 01-20-2018, 12:39 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
Yes, buying passes is not a rare thing, but when you have 13 children you otherwise imprison and abuse it becomes a peculiar detail that doesn't add up.
No, it doesn't add up. I'm glad they had those passes though. At least they were out and able to witness normal people. Heck, maybe they overheard someone talking about how you could call 911 on disabled cell ones.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:35 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,564,537 times
Quote:
Perhaps, but so far the DA has said there is no indication of mental illness in the parents. He has only labeled it as depravity.
Well, the DA would say that. He certainly doesn't want an insanity plea. If these people have a mental illness, it's probably psychopathy - not the kind of MI that gets one off of a crime.

Andrea Yates was truly psychotic, which was documented before her crimes, and didn't understand the nature of her crimes. She thought she was saving her children by killing them. I cannot fathom what kind of psychosis these people could claim to do what they did.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
There's a 20/20 special right now about this story. I can't believe what I'm hearing. I really hope something can be learned from this ... If you see something, say something....
I would have liked to watch that!

Old 01-20-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Authorities have said repeatedly that all the children are the children of David/Louise.
I'm sure they did DNA tests to find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events