Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2018, 02:59 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,485,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No, I thought it was interesting enough to respond to. If I didn't think it was interesting, I wouldn't even have responded.

In the Castro case, even after the escape, two of the victims stayed in the house until police freed them. Escapes like this take a combination of opportunity, and overcoming fear of what will happen if the escape fails. Some people can do it, others can't.
In the Castro case they were kept separated sometimes so the others may not have been able to escape when she did.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:04 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I'm sorry but how do 13 people disappear and no neighbors or family member think that's not strange.

Neighborhoods are not cohesive like in the 60's, 70's. Everyone is on the move and it makes a lot of strangers living among each other.

I get what your saying, though. Maybe if a Social Worker, Teacher or Nurse (someone more cued into human behavior like that) had lived close by they would have got the inklings that something isn't right. A call to Child Protective so that they would have checked it out at least.

Old 01-26-2018, 03:40 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
There is a very special place in Hell for these animals

I hope that they get to meet some brutal friends while in jail in order to make their life on earth a preview to Hell!

Old 01-26-2018, 03:56 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Preacher uncle of 'house of horror' children wants to adopt them, report says | Fox News

Quote:
The uncle of the 13 children allegedly held captive and abused by their parents in southern California reportedly wants to adopt the kids -- but he won't be doing so before authorities question his own past and how much he may have known about the so-called "House of Horrors" the kids were shackled inside of.
Quote:
Another relative, mother Louise Turpin’s sister, Teresa Robinette, told InsideEdition the children should be cared for by her side of the family.
Neither option sounds good in IMHO!

Bunch of wackos. Kids have had enough of this family.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:00 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,437,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Preacher uncle of 'house of horror' children wants to adopt them, report says | Fox News

Neither option sounds good in IMHO!

Bunch of wackos. Kids have had enough of this family.
Not to mention he already has 5 kids!

Old 01-26-2018, 04:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
I would say no. The answer is just no, for the family members who want to adopt. The adult kids need to be placed in case management for a couple years to guide them, and hopefully in loving halfway house type situations. Maybe a supervised adult group home type situation while their ability to be self-sustaining is assessed and they get job skill and life skill training.

And the littles need to be grouped as a whole, or maybe broken into two groups with a lot of sibling visitation access, with caring experienced foster parents.

Access to standard extended family visitation by approved family would probably be very positive. But no, you can't have these kids and further damage them with your crazy ideas.

Media articles have made it clear there is no shortage of acceptable homes willing to help out.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:30 PM

2,180 posts, read 2,317,827 times
It's been reported the Turpins prevented the extended family from having contact with the kids, and momma Turpin deceived them for years about their financial situation. That strongly suggests that the extended family was unaware of and most likely would have condemned the abuse. Plenty of families are wacky in unique ways. As long as they're not abusive, the kids will be fine with their relatives. Hell, they can get into a foster/adoptive situation and fare badly in a different way (although I doubt worse) than under their parents. I wouldn't judge the extended family unless and until evidence is produced that they're abusive to their own kids.

There was a couple locally that had adopted two young girls. One day when the oldest was 17 she escaped and went to a store and stole candy bars for herself and her sister. When caught she told the manager that they hadn't eaten in weeks and were hungry. They, too, had been chained in their bedrooms and used a bucket for a toilet. The mother was the receptionist for a Kaiser Permanente facility.

It was sickening that she smiled, joked and made conversation with those who entered that building daily, yet treated her children that way. She was a portly woman, too. So we know where all the food was going. She and her husband are serving time now. The girls are in their early 20s.

The Turpin kids are receiving lots of attention because of the sensationalism of the case and the large sibling group that they are. They will be able to take advantage of the resources that are available to all of the other kids in the system.
It's great they have so many well wishers.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:17 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,903,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
There is a very special place in Hell for these animals

I hope that they get to meet some brutal friends while in jail in order to make their life on earth a preview to Hell!
Yet another poster with a not dissimilar unhinged mindset as that to those to whom he refers.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Yet another poster with a not dissimilar unhinged mindset as that to those to whom he refers.
What kind of tortured sentence structure is that?

Old 01-26-2018, 10:33 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,903,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
What kind of tortured sentence structure is that?
A very uncomfortable one. I hate it myself! Still, I felt that structuring the sentence in that manner was probably more 'mod friendly' than coming right out and saying to the poster ..."You're just as much a psycho as they are."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events