Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:33 PM

304 posts, read 295,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Dangerous to the child if it's not apparent that a dog playing with his leash is a sign as opposed to him just playing with his leash. And the teacher having to decipher 6 different actions that mimic a misbehaving dog. Right now they give the child candy if the dog misbehaves, on the direction of the parent.
Yes, that seems like not a well trained team.

One issue here is that the child does not appear old or mature enough to utilize the specialized medical equipment that is a service dog. However, I don't know the entire story or the disabilities the child has.

But I won't lie. I'm very wary of stories like this where people try to claim that an animal is a fake service dog that it misbehaves soooo much and blah blah blah. If this were true, then the school has no requirement to allow an unruly service dog in the classroom so the fact that it's still there makes me think that there is some serious exaggeration going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 12:34 PM

1,299 posts, read 822,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
This is the problem with people these days. They can't figure out how to mind their own business and they have zero empathy. They care less about a sick child and more about thinking they know better.
You seem to have a problem understanding how an internet message board works. In short - people post stuff, other people offer up their opinions. That's literally the point of reading this forum.

I said nothing about the child, nothing that would indicate anything to do with empathy or emotions at all.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
You seem to have a problem understanding how an internet message board works. In short - people post stuff, other people offer up their opinions. That's literally the point of reading this forum.

I said nothing about the child, nothing that would indicate anything to do with empathy or emotions at all.
How do I have a problem with understanding how this works? I'm posting stuff, you're posting stuff, I'm offering my opinion about what you post.

Now you're going back on what you posted. You literally had no idea how the dog was trained to perform it's main duty and still made comments on it and acted as though you knew better. You don't know better. You're some random bystander on the internet who has a flawed opinion.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:40 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Quote:
Yes, that seems like not a well trained team.

One issue here is that the child does not appear old or mature enough to utilize the specialized medical equipment that is a service dog. However, I don't know the entire story or the disabilities the child has.

But I won't lie. I'm very wary of stories like this where people try to claim that an animal is a fake service dog that it misbehaves soooo much and blah blah blah. If this were true, then the school has no requirement to allow an unruly service dog in the classroom so the fact that it's still there makes me think that there is some serious exaggeration going on.
Trust me I wish I was exaggerating. The parent is a teacher in the school. Last year when she requested yet another transfer to a different classroom for her child and was denied, pulled her student out and threatened not to return to work until it happened. The week before state testing (she's in one of the critical rest of grades). The principal moved her son.

Everyone is concerned for the 10 yr old boy. But apparently you don't need any actual diagnosis to get one so there is no where to express concerns.

ETA: the dog has been at school since holiday break. In that time they have added a crate and a shock are to assist with his behavior. Most of the first week the dog was in the crate from mid-morning on. I'm not sure how far away the dog can be to be off assistance.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Trust me I wish I was exaggerating. The parent is a teacher in the school. Last year when she requested yet another transfer to a different classroom for her child and was denied, pulled her student out and threatened not to return to work until it happened. The week before state testing (she's in one of the critical rest of grades). The principal moved her son.

Everyone is concerned for the 10 yr old boy. But apparently you don't need any actual diagnosis to get one so there is no where to express concerns.
The problem appears to be with your principal. If your story is true, go to the school board or superintendent. Contact child welfare services for advice. There are other options, but keep in mind here that your focus really shouldn't be on the child. It's not your concern what diagnoses he does or doesn't have. If it's an unruly dog, there is no requirement that the school continue to allow it in the classroom.

I'm honestly horrified that they are using shocks on the dog at the school. Even outside of all other considerations, the liability there is tremendous. You do it wrong, dog gets hurt, owner is going to sue.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:05 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Its been helpful.

And we care about the boy because we've all known him since kindergarten.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:11 PM

492 posts, read 630,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Businesses are legally allowed to ask specific questions, and ask customers to remove animals that don't meet the definition of service dog (or horse), however our 'unofficial' policy is to not ask about an animal until it creates a problem. As far as I'm concerned if I 'm not allowed to say anything until there is a problem that's asking for a lawsuit, because I'm allowing a potentially untrained animal in the store. I've been told to ignore the purse pups, the pups tucked into coats and jackets, the monkey, and the snake, because we don't want to upset customers by asking questions. You can't always tell when an animal IS a service animal, but you can usually tell when it isn't, by it's behavior.
My complaint was in Wal Mart when I saw two small poodle like dogs sitting in the shopping cart where babies sit and leaning over sniffing at the veggies their owner was picking out. The manager told me that a lot more people have service dogs. He said his hands were tied. Neither one of us believed these were true service dogs.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:13 PM

492 posts, read 630,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I would think that it'd be fair and fairly easy to change the ADA to require the same certification for animals as they do for placards/plates. You have to have a doctor cert to get those, why not in order to qualify for service dogs?
There is no "mental issue" check box for plates/placards btw.
As others have stated here, all people have to do is fill out a form on the internet and send in a little money and voila they have a service dog with a vest and the proper paperwork.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:59 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
The poster acted as though I said something about hiring a pro when I was merely warding off people from recommending it.

That person is not interested in dogs. They are part of a group who routinely harass people who discuss their disability or their service dogs.
That poster is a regular participant in threads at the dog forum and made no comments in this thread one way or another about hiring a pro. Disagreement is not harrassment.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:12 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Sorry but animals should NOT be in food stores or restaurants PERIOD
Or airplanes....or any other restricted and privately owned space where they inevitably impose themselves on others.

As if we needed yet another reason to never, ever fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events