Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 06:47 PM

2,520 posts, read 2,719,631 times

Advertisements

Hopefully medical marijuana is legal in Florida. Lots of retired people with pain problems in that state. Sure would be better than using other drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 10:20 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,126,218 times
And this guy got busted for DRUGS, all Half A Gram of it. Does anybody know what half a gram is? It is about the size of a small cigarette filter, Bad Boys Bad Boys.

I went back to the original link, seems like he got roughed up in jail, but prosecutor dropped all charges upon viewing the body cam video. He is stuck with $1000 bill to get his van back. He should not have to pay, since no crime was committed, and he is free and clear. Will they Make It Whole?

Old 01-26-2018, 06:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,480,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
That is so ridiculous and wrong! Perfect example of militarized Gestapo tactics that have become popular among the police as of late.
What do you expect, they are under extreme pressure from the drug cartels, they dont play games or take excuses.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:26 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,422,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
And this guy got busted for DRUGS, all Half A Gram of it. Does anybody know what half a gram is? It is about the size of a small cigarette filter, Bad Boys Bad Boys.

I went back to the original link, seems like he got roughed up in jail, but prosecutor dropped all charges upon viewing the body cam video. He is stuck with $1000 bill to get his van back. He should not have to pay, since no crime was committed, and he is free and clear. Will they Make It Whole?
Doubtful...

America's so-called AG, Beauregard Sessions, has made civil forfeiture a centerpiece of his DOJ.

Old 01-26-2018, 06:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,909,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

This <bold> is something one must take into account when one decides they want to get mouthy or attempt to "advocate" their rights when being stopped by LEO's.
If you get into conflict and are arrested or ticketed then you go through the court system and are found not guilty all the costs borne by you from time off work to attorney fees are not refundable PERIOD. One other thing to keep in mind, they have an unlimited budget for prosecuting you and unless you're well off you DON'T have such a luxury.

The "system" doesn't pay you back if they lose so no matter what it WILL cost you. So, they win either way unless the arrest or ticket is so out of line you can file suit, even then the costs to win are sky high...

I'd bet a whole lot of B.S. tickets/arrests/conflicts would stop the minute a law was enacted that the state had to pay all costs of the other side if it lost.

Old 01-26-2018, 07:25 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,054,297 times
The guy had a Medical MJ card from Oregon. Even if Florida has approved MJ for medical use, are the two states honoring each other's permits? From what I understand, no states are doing that. But then I don't have need for MJ myself, so I haven't researched it.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:04 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,143,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy221 View Post
As far as I know its only LEGAL in cali!! (And it just became legal there)

I dont see the big deal about it myself....... Do people wanna use it so much just because ITS NOT LEGAL??
Not legal anywhere at the federal level. Because a state has passed a law doesn't mean it isn't superseded by federal law. Otherwise CA or NY could pass a law making federal tax payments illegal, etc.

What Congress did in 2014 was to pass a bill that basically said federal funds can't be used to prevent state law (including marijuana legalization). But it didn't take the prohibition off the books.

And while legal in California (and other states) I wonder what could happen if someone was caught with it on a plane, or via airport security where federal law applies.

As has been stated, the right approach is to pass a clear federal law by Congress and signed by the President. This then can't be subject to the whim of each new President and the power of the Executive Order.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:34 AM

3,857 posts, read 3,126,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

I'd bet a whole lot of B.S. tickets/arrests/conflicts would stop the minute a law was enacted that the state had to pay all costs of the other side if it lost.
It is only right that such law gets past. The courts already have the edge in the playing field. Cops can lie and be bullies, Prosecutors only share evidence they see fit, the defendant can have solid evidence, but it can be deemed in admissible. All these bozos get to make over $100k , with a pension, all paid for by the public tax dollars.

So , a Cop can make a "questionable " arrest on trumped up charges, tow away someones livelihood/home, only for that someone to get all charges dropped, and left with a hole in his pockets. So now maybe that someone can sue , and they would settle with him for xxx$$$. More of our tax dollars out the window, but we blame the victim, because he was "being a smart axx". More times than any, that Cop making BS arrests ends up getting promoted , only to make more of our tax dollars!

Old 01-26-2018, 09:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,909,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Not legal anywhere at the federal level. Because a state has passed a law doesn't mean it isn't superseded by federal law. Otherwise CA or NY could pass a law making federal tax payments illegal, etc.

What Congress did in 2014 was to pass a bill that basically said federal funds can't be used to prevent state law (including marijuana legalization). But it didn't take the prohibition off the books.

And while legal in California (and other states) I wonder what could happen if someone was caught with it on a plane, or via airport security where federal law applies.

As has been stated, the right approach is to pass a clear federal law by Congress and signed by the President. This then can't be subject to the whim of each new President and the power of the Executive Order.
It is only "legal" within the state that has legalized it and no, states do not recognize other states MMJ cards. In fact, just watched someone on Live PD TV show that got busted in Florida for MMJ and the cops specifically said "it may be legal in that state but it's not in Florida

If you board a plane leaving a state where it's legal and are going to a state where it's not then yes, you are risking going to jail.
I would guess that if you're at the airport and attempt to board a plane and they find MJ on your person or in your luggage you'd probably be arrested under Federal law as those laws are what rule that area of the airport.
Kind of like walking onto a military base with any drugs, Federal laws apply, not state.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:45 AM

605 posts, read 488,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I do. I believe in the right to protest laws that are unjust? Do you? Slavery? Women not allowed to vote? The whole point of the US is to question (and peacefully) protest laws that people do not agree with. I guess you are a communist.
I wouldn't be so quick to assume that a self-proclaimed member of the NC/SC Border Patrol considers slavery unjust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events