Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 10:08 PM

8 posts, read 6,341 times

Advertisements

I want whatever these people are smoking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 10:31 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
Nope. Pluto is square-shaped. You know, like an ice cube.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:33 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
There was a flat earth conference in my area last November. It had a turn out of 10,000 people over the course of three days. Tickets were $150. The billboards were hilarious.
There ya go, poster who asked who it would benefit.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:01 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I understand other conspiracies and why so many people would consider them conspiracies, but flat earth..?? Who would benefit if the majority of people believed the earth was round, and to what end? At least with other CTs, govt, military, big industry benefits in some way from keeping it secret, with the flat earth, I can see no way any of these would benefit in anyway, it doesnt matter one way or the other.
I know ... I‘ve never been called a conspiracy theorist to my face but there are three topics that I am pretty personally passionate about ... Two involve medical science & the other one involves government policy. If you would have told me 15 years ago, that I would even think the way I do now, let alone speak of it out loud? I would have laughed you out the room.

But you know ... there is a plauseable basis for each one. And they are easily validated, even with no paid subscription site access, via PubMed & congressional record. Even so, I can still understand why someone might roll their eyes at me. I understand where it comes from; I used to “come from” there myself.

But this ... flat earth? I thought that was just an analogy. Like the “tin-foil hat crowd” reference. I didn’t realize it was actually a thing! And I have to say; I don’t get it. And I can actually understand human nature fairly well. I’ve been exposed to people from all walks of life with varied convictions & beliefs but I just don’t get this.

The motive is to “hide proof of God?” As if ...

Old 01-27-2018, 03:06 AM

587 posts, read 225,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate
We need to start an antiflat movement.
Indeed this whole thing is stupid!!

Columbus proved the world IS NOT FLAT when he sailed around it in 1492!!! (I think it was him that wanted to see so he sailed to see what would happen)

This whole thing is quite bizarre......

Old 01-27-2018, 09:11 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Somehow, I think they are only doing this to discredit other conspiracy theories, if one CT theory is this dumb, others are likely equally crazy and probably not true.

I wouldnt be surprised if it was one of our 3 letter secret Govt agencies at the center of this, propagating something so obviously false, it automatically discredits other CTs in the process.

If you really want to be surprised, read up on how the CIA used the term 'conspiracy theory', and why they did this, its some pretty dark stuff.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:13 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,243 times
FluidFreedom mentions that 10K people went to an event where tickets were $150/piece. So, at least $1.5 million was wasted on such an outrageous gathering.

Old 01-27-2018, 11:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 747,353 times
The theory on the moon is that we are seeing the face of it, as you would see the face of the earth from the moon, if one actually went there (as some flat-earthers believe they did). My son (17 yo) wrote a fiction story in school about flat-earthers from the perspective that it's true. He wants to be a science teacher & have a class on psuedo-sciences where they take the time to look at these things and isolate fact from belief, and what empirical evidence is actually proving (ie, just because you look to the horizon & it appears flat does not mean the whole earth is). For the record--he does NOT believe in the flat-earth theory--I need to make that clear.

We're at an interesting place these days. "My own experience" is trumping actual fact in so many areas. The earth is flat because that's how I see it. Vaccines don't work because I got sick once after getting one. We've achieved racial/gender equality because I don't know anyone who is racist/sexist. There's no global climate change because it's snowing at my house today. We need to start valuing scientific thought and evidence-based theory, or it won't matter if the world is flat, round, oblong or a giant piece of fluff.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:57 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,421,697 times
So why hasn't anyone fallen off the edge of the earth yet?

Old 01-27-2018, 01:59 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,744,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
So why hasn't anyone fallen off the edge of the earth yet?
Gravity is what is holding us down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events