Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
How does a couple properly parent 14 children?

My wife and I had three children - twins, and then another born couple years later. It was a lot of effort providing the amount of attention three children need, despite the fact that all three were relatively easy-to-raise, drama-free kids. But... more than 4x as many children?

Sorry, when you have that many kids - or, hell, even half that many - there just isn't enough time in a day to go around, and those children and not going to receive the individual attention all developing children and young adults need.

It's just irresponsible on multiple levels.
Total BS. Having giant families will certainly teach kids how to care for each other and share, which it very valuable in their future. Hardly "irresponsible". What an odd way of looking at things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 07:57 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:

My wife and I had three children - twins, and then another born couple years later. It was a lot of effort providing the amount of attention three children need, despite the fact that all three were relatively easy-to-raise, drama-free kids. But... more than 4x as many children?

Sorry, when you have that many kids - or, hell, even half that many - there just isn't enough time in a day to go around, and those children and not going to receive the individual attention all developing children and young adults need.

Just my opinion, but, how many children people have is not only none of my business, but, the question if it is responsible or irresponsible is certainly not my business. If the day comes that they are asking me to support them, that is a different story.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:14 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
As long as the couple is not receiving social assistance and the kids are growing up normal have at it, I don't care.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:20 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,730,345 times
Quote:

My mom came from a family of 8 (6 girls, 2 boys). The older ones had to help with the younger ones of course because 2 parents can't possibly give enough attention to all. This was in the 50's when big families of 6 or more children were common. My mom said most of the time my grandmother didn't have a clue how my mother was doing in school, let alone even ask her how her day was and if she needed any help with homework. She said once you turned about 5 you were basically in your own. I have also personally witnessed some of my Aunts and Uncles that went through addictions and depression due to the lack of attention they received growing up. They have spoke about this openly.

Now don't get me wrong, I love kids and I have 2 girls. I would have had another, but it wasn't in the cards for me. However, I'm a firm believer in don't have more than you can handle and afford! There is NO WAY a mother and father can personally give each one of those 13 children their undivided attention! Not possible! Children need the love an guidance of their mother, not an older sibling.

I also agree that it's none of my business what others do and as long as they love their children then God Bless them! The above was just my personal opinion and experience on the matter.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:49 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muevelos View Post
Honestly, do the parents or even brothers forget each others names at times? Has to be a common occurrence at some point, no?
Is it common for you to forget the names of your friends, co-workers, or neighbors?

I am the 2nd of 8 and never forgot any of my brothers and sisters names. I know three families that all had 12 kids and I knew all of them and never forgot their names.

My wife's mom is from a family of 14 kids. We have a large family and I can even remember everyone's name.

Of course then their is George Foreman. All the boys are named George and all the girls are named Georgina.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:54 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
i shared a house once when I was single with two other single women. One of the roommates was one of 17 children (20 births, 17 lived); and the other roommate was one of 16 children (22 born, 16 lived). This was recent about 10 years ago, the young women were in their late 20s. They said they felt very sorry for me having only 1 brother. They kept saying "Didn't you feel lonely all the time? Who did you talk to? Didn't you get bored with nobody around and nothing to do? That's so sad." It was pretty funny. I always thought large families were a thing of the past.
Growing up I had a close friend that was an only child. In fact it was just him and his dad. They lived at the beach in a beautiful home that was a lot larger than my parents home. I loved going over there.

My parents had 8 kids. Always something going on at my home. It was a never ending event. My friend that was an only child? He loved coming over to our home. He liked having lots of people around. He loved being around a big family.

He married when he was 23 and him and his wife have 7 kids. Guess he was not kidding when he said he liked being around a big family.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:34 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
I knew someone who badly wanted a girl. She had 3 boys, and stopped at 3. Maybe she will have granddaughters.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:40 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I have to wonder what is the thinking (if there is any thinking) behind such huge families?

It seems crazy to me, on so many levels. Not the least of which---overpopulation.
Inaccurate.

The US birth rate hit a historic low last year. 1.84 births per woman.

Nearly half the world lives at below replacement-level countries.

Fertility has declined except in Sub-Sahara Africa.

Global total fertility is projected to decline to 2.4 children per woman by 2030 and 2.2 children per woman by 2050.

In Africa, fertility is projected to decline to 3.9 children per woman by 2030 and 3.1 children per woman by 2050. Fertility declines in all other regions are projected to be much more modest. Africa has the highest adolescent birth rate but it's declining.

Each woman in the world is replacing herself with just over one surviving daughter on average.

So insulting, too, to mock the family as "if there is any thinking" when they're happy, productive and not costing YOU any money.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:54 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,400,391 times
I don't approve of people having that many kids and if you dare to be on govt assistance then I'm appalled by these people. You do not need that many kids. What the eff is wrong with these people?

Old 02-06-2018, 10:23 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I have to wonder what is the thinking (if there is any thinking) behind such huge families?

It seems crazy to me, on so many levels. Not the least of which---overpopulation.
I'm thinking the same way, glad my parents stopped at 3. I remember when the Duggers had their 19th, millions were spent on that child. Who absorbed those millions. The mother was very ill too.

I did my share, replaced myself, one child is fine in my life. I've spent many a day/night in worry for that child and to worry about 13+ omg....

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-06-2018 at 10:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events