Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2018, 04:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,186,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
She has made her choice. Fine. Give it to the next in line and stop the BS about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 06:19 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
She has made her choice. Fine. Give it to the next in line and stop the BS about it.
There is no second place, just a lot of losers who have already been paid.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:38 AM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,652 times
I think a lot of the concerns raised about the identity of the winner being released can easily be resolved. Obviously, a firm "No" is always an answer for people asking for money. However, as this can make some uncomfortable, a new phone with an unlisted number and a new address that is not given out also works.

As far as friends and family, if I won, I would personally want to share some of my winnings with those whom I care about. I would want many of these to be able to join me on some of the great vacations I would want to take. I also have some charities I would love to support. Personally, I would not have a problem deciding whom I want to share with, then saying "No" to the others.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:50 AM

5,170 posts, read 6,133,704 times
I look at it this way, as long as I relocate in my winning the lotto fantasy I am just another name and face in another state.........now if I relocate and start introducing my family and I as big lotto winners that is another matter.

Fame is fleeting in this day and age of social media, I would be a forgotten blip on the daily news after a few days.

As far as family and friends to help..........at my age the family and friends circle has a tendency to get smaller as the years go by. I am more into travel and experiences so my contributions to family and friends would be college funds and a yearly annual travel experience for those close to me. Not talking Disney, something memorable non commercial.

So.........................when is the next big Powerball?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:15 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
LOL It's up to 111 million cash value for tonight JBtwinz.

I'm not sure the woman in question is refusing to collect. She hasn't talked to the media. Maybe her lawyer has, but unless he's a terrible spokesperson and an even worse lawyer he did not say she will not collect it unless she gets her way. I think the headline was made up by the media to get people to click. I think she's going to try her darndest to get NH to let her claim it with a trust, but if legal efforts fail, I'm pretty sure she will go ahead and collect under her own name.

Every article I've ever read on what to do when you win the jackpot has said to sign your ticket. Unfortunately this woman thought that was the right thing to do. Her issue is that she wants to collect with a trust, which is apparently allowed in NH but since it's her signature on the back of the ticket they're trying to make her collect under her own name.

Too bad there are so many people out there giving bad advice. I've seen it in legitimate media too, not just some moron's blog or yahoo.

Old 02-10-2018, 09:57 AM

19,620 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post

I'm not sure the woman in question is refusing to collect. She hasn't talked to the media. Maybe her lawyer has, but unless he's a terrible spokesperson and an even worse lawyer he did not say she will not collect it unless she gets her way. I think the headline was made up by the media to get people to click. I think she's going to try her darndest to get NH to let her claim it with a trust, but if legal efforts fail, I'm pretty sure she will go ahead and collect under her own name.

Every article I've ever read on what to do when you win the jackpot has said to sign your ticket. Unfortunately this woman thought that was the right thing to do. Her issue is that she wants to collect with a trust, which is apparently allowed in NH but since it's her signature on the back of the ticket they're trying to make her collect under her own name.

Too bad there are so many people out there giving bad advice. I've seen it in legitimate media too, not just some moron's blog or yahoo.
That does seem to be the case. If she can't stay anonymous then she may have her lawyer make a statement that she wants her privacy and will not be accepting solicitations. As of now it's up to a judge to decide if she deserves an exception since the lottery advises to first sign the ticket if you win, with no warning that once that is done you can no longer be anonymous.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:14 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That does seem to be the case. If she can't stay anonymous then she may have her lawyer make a statement that she wants her privacy and will not be accepting solicitations. As of now it's up to a judge to decide if she deserves an exception since the lottery advises to first sign the ticket if you win, with no warning that once that is done you can no longer be anonymous.
You're right, the lottery does tell you to do that. I had forgotten that. I can't find it on the powerball webpage, but this is in the megamillions faq.

Quote:
What happens if I lose a ticket?

Mega Millions is not responsible for lost or stolen tickets. Protect yourself by signing the back of your tickets. Lottery tickets are bearer instruments. Unless signed, anyone in possession of the ticket can file a claim.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
She's not disregarding the law. She's trying to get the policy changed. Now that she's a winner, she has their attention. And she's speaking up with an attorney.
OK, she is attempting to avoid a lottery regulation with the assistance of a legal representative. I'd probably do the same. Instead, I have quit buying PB and MM tickets.
"Bad odds anyway"

Old 02-10-2018, 10:06 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,118,602 times
The answer is simple, get the money, use my name, spend $400 to incorporate a company name, that I'm the sole share holder of, buy some cheap land out in the desert. and go off the grid.

Have something like this above ground.

And something like this underneath it.

And I would pretend to be broke until I met my dream girl.and most likely after.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
<>
Every article I've ever read on what to do when you win the jackpot has said to sign your ticket. <>
A lottery player should make up a pretend trust name. Sign that on your tickets when you buy them. Create the trust when you actually need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events