Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2018, 08:52 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBK8wmZ?m=en-us

I think this is cool--a rare victory for privacy!

Brief quote:

" A judge ruled Monday that a New Hampshire woman who won a Powerball jackpot worth nearly $560 million can keep her identity private, but not her hometown.
Judge Charles Temple noted that the case's resolution rested the state's Right-to-Know law, which governs access to public records for the woman. She was identified as "Jane Doe" in a lawsuit against the New Hampshire Lottery Commission.
"She was jumping up and down," said her lawyer, William Shaheen. "She will be able to""
Excellent! Thanks for the update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:44 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,489,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
https://a.msn.com/r/2/BBK8wmZ?m=en-us

I think this is cool--a rare victory for privacy!

Brief quote:

" A judge ruled Monday that a New Hampshire woman who won a Powerball jackpot worth nearly $560 million can keep her identity private, but not her hometown.
Judge Charles Temple noted that the case's resolution rested the state's Right-to-Know law, which governs access to public records for the woman. She was identified as "Jane Doe" in a lawsuit against the New Hampshire Lottery Commission.
"She was jumping up and down," said her lawyer, William Shaheen. "She will be able to""
That is cool. Unfortunately, I believe the judge ruled that way because in NH you can claim with a trust which would keep you anonymous. In most states you can't use a trust, so I'm not sure the privacy argument would hold in my state.

Here's another story with a few different details.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/hampshire-...opstories.html

Old 03-13-2018, 05:08 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Good for her!

But leeches will know how to find her info no doubt.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:38 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good for her!

But leeches will know how to find her info no doubt.
People have already been leaking her information for weeks, even calling into radio stations and posting on local blogs or the comments section of local articles. Not her name, but I’ve heard people have narrowed it down to her work place, mother’s work place, even her block. People in the town knows who she is (it’s a tiny freaking town), and everyone knows that she’s a local and not just some passerby who popped into a local convenience store and bought a ticket, so it’ll only be a matter of time before someone spills. Look up the “Streisand Effect” and see why fighting to keep something a secret makes it more likely it will be revealed:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Old 04-15-2018, 01:22 AM

71 posts, read 76,587 times
I agree with her 200%. I'm from Florida and not too long ago a man by the name of Abraham Shakespeare won the lotto.

A kind man however he ran off due to people having their hands out. He met a woman whom was supposed to handle his finances for him. There's even a YouTube video of her recording him asking questions.

Then he disappeared. His relatives had his phone number but no answer. They received texts however that was the tip off because Abraham couldn't read. Awhile later they found his body buried about 8 feet deep under a newly made concrete slab. Turns out the woman who was his financial advisor had him murderered.

Poor thing. He himself said he was better off broke. Ironically his his girlfriend the mom of his child recently won the lottery. I've heard many stories of those whom won whom are brutally killed. Also Abraham's money was completely spent up by that woman.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:58 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,080,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuterure2006 View Post
I agree with her 200%. I'm from Florida and not too long ago a man by the name of Abraham Shakespeare won the lotto.

A kind man however he ran off due to people having their hands out. He met a woman whom was supposed to handle his finances for him. There's even a YouTube video of her recording him asking questions.

Then he disappeared. His relatives had his phone number but no answer. They received texts however that was the tip off because Abraham couldn't read. Awhile later they found his body buried about 8 feet deep under a newly made concrete slab. Turns out the woman who was his financial advisor had him murderered.

Poor thing. He himself said he was better off broke. Ironically his his girlfriend the mom of his child recently won the lottery. I've heard many stories of those whom won whom are brutally killed. Also Abraham's money was completely spent up by that woman.
I am familiar with that incident. The mistake that he made was not learning to say NO. Also, he was not smart about the company he kept.

IMO, if you win the lottery you need to take a year off the grid and set yourself for life FIRST before giving out any money to family or friends.

If i were to win i would keep 65% for myself; give 30% to immediate/extended family and 5% to friends and certain co-workers. I would make it EXTREMELY clear in a letter with the check that i will not give more money out.

Old 04-15-2018, 02:11 AM

911 posts, read 262,162 times
I think its BEST to do things like this secretly!! (I dont blame her)

Old 04-19-2018, 12:59 AM

932 posts, read 899,092 times
Well my close friend and some of my family a few would be set for life. I would put about 10 million in a invest account and let the intrest pay them yearly

Old 04-19-2018, 01:00 AM

932 posts, read 899,092 times
I wouldn’t care about my name being out there I know how to say no

Old 04-19-2018, 06:20 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esuterure2006 View Post
I've heard many stories of those whom won whom are brutally killed. Also Abraham's money was completely spent up by that woman.
While your Shakespeare story was correct I'm not sure you have heard "many stories" about "brutally killed" lottery winners!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events