Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:08 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
"The current statement (25th March, 2010) by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirms that there is no known risk of transmission of blood borne and sexually transmitted infections such as HIV/AIDS during the preparation or serving of food or beverages."

There has never been a reported case of it happening. HIV is actually a fragile virus. It does not survive long in the environment.

Edit: JerseyGirl beat me to it.
I will repeat what I said before. Contact with blood products via a cut or tear in the mucous membranes (ie the mouth) is a possible method of transmission. And AIDS is not the only blood borne disease. There are many, thus the child will need to be tested. There are damages done to the family that are worth more than $1000 and a week's worth of drinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 12:38 AM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I will repeat what I said before. Contact with blood products via a cut or tear in the mucous membranes (ie the mouth) is a possible method of transmission. And AIDS is not the only blood borne disease. There are many, thus the child will need to be tested. There are damages done to the family that are worth more than $1000 and a week's worth of drinks.
Please provide a reference that confirms that HIV has ever been transmitted via blood in food or drink.

Thank you.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:59 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
If true, that's just nasty.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:11 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times
Quote:
"The current statement (25th March, 2010) by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirms that there is no known risk of transmission of blood borne and sexually transmitted infections such as HIV/AIDS during the preparation or serving of food or beverages."

There has never been a reported case of it happening. HIV is actually a fragile virus. It does not survive long in the environment.

Edit: JerseyGirl beat me to it.
Hep C, which is serious, can be spread by bleeding into food. Or at least that is what I learned when I took my food handlers license years back

Old 02-13-2018, 06:21 AM

6,795 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I had some dreams, there was blood in my coffee
Blood in my coffee, and..
You're so gross
I bet you think this post is about you
Don't you, don't you, don't you . . .?

Old 02-13-2018, 07:11 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinaCarlotta View Post
You're right, it could have been decaf.
If others don't judge parents, how would they know that what they're doing is wrong? Seriously, if I see something I don't like, I'm going to judge. So will others. Big deal. You don't like to judge parents, great. Do what works for you.
Yes, that employee was an idiot for continuing to touch things while bleeding.
The easiest way to lose friends is.... Telling them they are bad parents.....

Old 02-13-2018, 07:17 AM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Hep C, which is serious, can be spread by bleeding into food. Or at least that is what I learned when I took my food handlers license years back
You may be thinking about hepatitis A, which is food borne and does not require contact with blood.

Hepatitis C is not transmitted by food either.

https://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/hcv/cfaq.htm

"What are ways Hepatitis C is not spread?
Hepatitis C virus is not spread by sharing eating utensils, breastfeeding, hugging, kissing, holding hands, coughing, or sneezing. It is also not spread through food or water."

Old 02-13-2018, 08:29 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,740,268 times
Hep B and HIV can both be transmitted by drinking someone else's blood. The most likely scenario is that the Barista had just cut her hand (probably on the actual cup or lid, like a paper cut) prior to the drinks going out as I doubt she realized that she was bleeding and got blood in and on the cups and still sent them out to the customers. So if the family took a sip immediately and any of the blood got in their mouths then it was pretty fresh.

That said, the family has been tested once shortly after the incident and six months later and they tested negative so I think they are in the clear. They want money for the stress it caused and because they didn't feel like Starbucks cared enough. How much is that worth? It would be interesting to see what they are asking for.

Last edited by MissTerri; 02-13-2018 at 08:38 AM..

Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
The easiest way to lose friends is.... Telling them they are bad parents.....
Right. And I don't think it's bad parenting to give a child a Starbuck's drink or give them a taste of one. It's silly people want to judge that.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:20 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:

There has never been a reported case of it happening.
And there are lots of people with HIV who have no idea how they caught it. Really, how would anyone know? That's why there are no reported cases of it being transmitted through serving food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events