Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 12:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Advertisements

My first home in California was a room on a sailboat. The owners had sold almost everything to buy it and they lived in the stern berth (I had the bow). She was an executive at an advertising agency and he drove giant boats for rich people. One day they announced the boat was going round the world. I could quit my job and go with them, or move out.

Sadly, I chose the latter.

Their boat was $80,000 (used) and that was in 1988. You are not going to get much of a boat for $10,000 even used. That boat probably had no business being in the ocean other than as a day sailer. It is hard to tell much from the pictures,but it does not appear to be a cruising boat.

Dogs do fine on boats. Most of the liveaboard boats around us had dogs who were very happy dogs. They get a lot more human attention than most house dogs. Big dogs often do better than small ones because big dogs are less active and more of them like to swim. Th incredible stupidity of having no insurance makes it hard to pity this couple, however a $5000 boat may not be worth insuring. For me at $5,000, a car is right at the edge of worth insuring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 12:34 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,955,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Dang. A quick scan of their GoFundMe donors shows at least three people gave a grand apiece to these dopes.

If my wife gave $1,000 to these nitwits, she and I would have a discussion.
I have often suspected that some people "seed" their fundraiser with donations from themselves, channeled through an anonymous third party.

Maybe these people have more money than they said. It's all hearsay.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:09 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,329,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I have often suspected that some people "seed" their fundraiser with donations from themselves, channeled through an anonymous third party.

I think that happens a bunch on Kickstarter and probably Go Fund Me.

With Kickstarter, say your goal is like $100,000, and you might be $10,000 or $5,000 short with a hour to go, and you actually have that "gap money", do you try and donate through a family member/friend, giving them the money, so you hit your goal and net $90,000 or $95,000, or do you let the clock strike zero and you end up with $0 and your project not funded. What do you do?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:23 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Good advice. OTOH, our marina just had a visit from a Swan 60 (droooool...) skippered by an 80+ year old guy who was doing his second circumnavigation...
I just checked out photos of Swan 60's. They look like racers. Beautiful boats! You have good taste.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:08 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,440,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I believe that. In Westerville, OH two cops were killed answering a domestic dispute call. A legitimate GoFundMe site was set up for funeral and other expenses for the families. Immediately two fake sites were set up in their name trying to collect money. They were discovered but not before the crooks collected from them.

The local TV news channels all over the state picked up the story and warned viewers to be careful when making contributions. They posted on their websites how to spot which GoFundMe sites for this cause were legit and which weren't.

You really have to be careful with these things.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:13 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Bingo! It’s already up.

“We want to show people there is another way to live other than paying rent and working a 9 - 5.†😂
LMAO, leave it to a couple of millennial hipsters to act like begging people for money is some new and amazing way to get through life. I hope nobody is stupid enough to give these losers any of the money that they work hard to earn.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Here's what I don't understand.. Supposedly they have just a few bucks to their name after the boat sank..

How were they going to resupply?

How were they going to buy fuel? I know it was a sailboat, but you would think there'd at least be a small engine for electronics/refrigeration/etc.

Dock fees?

I don't know what else might be in play here.. Someone more familiar with boating can probably add more.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:26 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Here's what I don't understand.. Supposedly they have just a few bucks to their name after the boat sank..

How were they going to resupply?

How were they going to buy fuel? I know it was a sailboat, but you would think there'd at least be a small engine for electronics/refrigeration/etc.

Dock fees?

I don't know what else might be in play here.. Someone more familiar with boating can probably add more.
These are great points. Aside from having to buy food on a regular basis throughout their journey, they'd have to stay fueled. Sailboats do motor in and out of harbor or while docking, etc. And on an old boat like that, repairs would be necessary, sooner or later, whether minor or major. An emergency fund or well-funded credit card is a must. And yes, dock fees. Really, it looks like they were never serious about living their dream in the first place. Not even serious about a relatively brief jaunt to the Caribbean.

In fact, the more I think about it, it starts to remind me of those two women who wanted to sail from Hawaii to Tahiti, or wherever it was, and had to be rescued.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:34 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,257,139 times
There is a book by Tristan Jones called The Incredible Voyage which reminds me of this story. The guy who wrote the book sailed all over the place in a small sailboat with minimal amounts of money. His source of income while on the boat was writing articles for sailing magazines. However this was in the pre-internet days. So my guess is that these two kids planned on youtubing, or collecting money via gofundme, or something like that, in order to survive.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:37 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
LMAO, leave it to a couple of millennial hipsters to act like begging people for money is some new and amazing way to get through life. I hope nobody is stupid enough to give these losers any of the money that they work hard to earn.
Here's your answer....yes...bleeding heart idiots and those apparently looking to make themselves feel better about their own feelings are contributing to these morons Go Fund Me account......currently they have $13000 +

https://www.gofundme.com/new-sailing-life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events