Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
The value of "everything they owned" was $5,000.

Brilliant move on their part, considering the GoFund me page is up to about $12,000. Pretty sure they sunk the boat on purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 02:48 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Here's your answer....yes...bleeding heart idiots and those apparently looking to make themselves feel better about their own feelings are contributing to these morons Go Fund Me account......currently they have $13000 +

https://www.gofundme.com/new-sailing-life
You know.. I can see helping someone after an accident.. Even partially if the accident is of their own making.. But I can't see helping someone continue with a bad plan. And their plan certainly seems to be very bad.

I would want to see how they plan to be independent and not begging for money again in 6 months.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:07 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Sounds worse than the movie Lost in America which was hilarious;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3VdFriAvrs

`

Old 02-12-2018, 04:04 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
These are great points. Aside from having to buy food on a regular basis throughout their journey, they'd have to stay fueled. Sailboats do motor in and out of harbor or while docking, etc. And on an old boat like that, repairs would be necessary, sooner or later, whether minor or major. An emergency fund or well-funded credit card is a must. And yes, dock fees. Really, it looks like they were never serious about living their dream in the first place. Not even serious about a relatively brief jaunt to the Caribbean.

In fact, the more I think about it, it starts to remind me of those two women who wanted to sail from Hawaii to Tahiti, or wherever it was, and had to be rescued.
A 28 foot sailboat probably has a 2 cylinder diesel. Rule of thumb is you burn 1 gallon of diesel per hour for every 20 hp. A 28 foot sloop probably has a 10 hp diesel.

I know lots of people who have lived aboard at one point or other in their lives. You don't pay "dock fees" if you're on a tight budget. Your boat hardly ever goes to the dock and when it does, it's for 15 minutes at the public dock where they don't charge you. Anchoring is free if you're somewhere that they'll let you anchor. Most places, you can wangle a free mooring if you can't anchor. You row to the public dinghy dock from there.

If you're on that tight budget, you also aren't sailing all that much. You sail somewhere, anchor, and stay there for a few weeks. You hardly ever run the engine and 10 gallons of fuel could easily last you several months.

On a tight budget, everything is DIY. You learn how to sew. You learn small engine repair. You can't afford to pay boat yard labor rates. You hang out with other live-aboard people who are totally happy to give you advice and teach you all the DIY tasks. They had to learn them themselves.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:12 PM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So if I wanted to steal from you that would be okay? After all, I'm just showing I have the balls to do what I want, and these people will resent me for it right?
You've missed the point of my post.

People who do what they want to do in life are often resented if they are not doing 9 to 5 in a factory or office or in debt.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:31 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The article says they only have $90 to their name. How do they expect to feed themselves and the dog?
IDK but the dog might be getting nervous.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:46 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
If you're really wanting to do this, this video is a great introduction to what it takes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzwfGuFifp8

Old 02-12-2018, 07:26 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A 28 foot sailboat probably has a 2 cylinder diesel. Rule of thumb is you burn 1 gallon of diesel per hour for every 20 hp. A 28 foot sloop probably has a 10 hp diesel.

I know lots of people who have lived aboard at one point or other in their lives. You don't pay "dock fees" if you're on a tight budget. Your boat hardly ever goes to the dock and when it does, it's for 15 minutes at the public dock where they don't charge you. Anchoring is free if you're somewhere that they'll let you anchor. Most places, you can wangle a free mooring if you can't anchor. You row to the public dinghy dock from there.

If you're on that tight budget, you also aren't sailing all that much. You sail somewhere, anchor, and stay there for a few weeks. You hardly ever run the engine and 10 gallons of fuel could easily last you several months.

On a tight budget, everything is DIY. You learn how to sew. You learn small engine repair. You can't afford to pay boat yard labor rates. You hang out with other live-aboard people who are totally happy to give you advice and teach you all the DIY tasks. They had to learn them themselves.
Good post. The only problem is, they didn't learn any DIY stuff relevant to living on a boat.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:47 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good post. The only problem is, they didn't learn any DIY stuff relevant to living on a boat.
Sounds like they didn't learn anything about SAILING a boat, either.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
The big question is will they learn from their mistakes and take some sailing lessons before going out the next time or will the do a repeat if their first “adventure.”

If they screw up the second time around, the Coast Guard might look the other way when it comes to rescuing them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events