Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:23 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Everyone has lots of advice and it may work, but when it happened to me with my 2year old niece in the car all I did was panic.

Turn off the ignition? Never occurred to me
Pull the e brake? Never occurred to me
Shift into neutral? Never occurred to me

It was rush hour on the freeway. All I could do is honk and steer around cars. And pray and cry. Even reading through the advice here brings back quite a bit of panic. I knew the power steering would go out for sure if I lost any power and it was a bear to drive that old station wagon without it. Course now people know more about it and might have a thought to be able to try something recommended here.

But when one panics all reason is tossed out the window. Hope you don’t ever experience it.
OK, it never occured to you to try and stop the car. That is a driver issue, not a vehicle issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 11:34 PM

1,875 posts, read 1,326,378 times
ALL BMW's are equipped with brake/gas pedal override...

= impossible for car to keep accelerating if depressing the brake pedal...

Please read up on this....

Its not physically possible with the safety override system thats built into all electronic gas pedal equipped vehicles.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:40 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
ALL BMW's are equipped with brake/gas pedal override...

= impossible for car to keep accelerating if depressing the brake pedal...

Please read up on this....

Its not physically possible with the safety override system thats built into all electronic gas pedal equipped vehicles.
Unless the safety override system does not work as designed. Things break.

Be interesting to see what they find out about the car.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:36 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
OK, it never occured to you to try and stop the car. That is a driver issue, not a vehicle issue.
I'm not sure the car would stop if you were able to push the shift into neutral, would it? Since a car in neutral will continue rolling if it's being accelerated, which this car was. But if you can turn off the ignition in neutral, then that should work.

In his pricey car, I guess he had buttons, and not a key and gear shift. I don't know how the buttons work.

Remember, though, that he had both hands tightly on the wheel, trying to avoid hitting other cars on the hwy. But then again, he was able to call 911. So ????

Old 02-15-2018, 06:38 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Newer BMWs don't have a traditional parking brake that would have helped slow it down.
I may not be following you on this.

I have a 2017 and it has the e-brake lever to the right of the driver's seat that you can pull up, which was different than my last car, an Audi, where the e-brake was basically a button you could push. Unless you mean the pedal e-brake? Then no, Bimmers don't have these (at least the ones I've been in).

I couldn't clearly tell by that first screenshot, but his Bimmer looked to be 2012-2015ish, and an X, however I'm not familiar with BMW SUVs.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:48 AM

1,795 posts, read 1,876,783 times
BMW stands for Broke my Wallet lol

Old 02-15-2018, 07:07 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
The only thing they will find from this is that the driver was ill equipped to deal with such a problem. This one is driver error.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:09 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,507,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This sounds odd. The comments keep mentioning to turn off the ignition, is that possible in such situations?

I get it that a gas pedal being stuck is a horrifying situation and you never know how you would react. A family died years ago when something similar happened to a Prius they we're driving.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/gas-pedal-...opstories.html
Turn key off, but don't lock it so you can steer to safety and use brakes heavily...
Damn victims of ignorance.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:26 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Anyone remember the car here that had the same thing happen? I believe it was a Toyota. Road ended, all died.
I don't think that's a fair comparison. The BMW driver seems oddly suspicious because his actions and logic do not add up. He avoided the first set of spike strips, his response to the dispatch was nonsensical, and it appears that he did not attempt to stop the vehicle. We will have to wait and see what the investigation reveals, but my money is on the driver's account not being accurate.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:31 AM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Unless the safety override system does not work as designed. Things break.

Be interesting to see what they find out about the car.
You're right. We need to wait for an investigation to report their findings. Right now, it is extremely more likely that the driver's action and judgment were compromised. It seems odd that the driver didn't shift the vehicle out of gear, properly applied the brakes, even attempt to use the parking brake, refused to turn the engine off, had very odd responses/excuses for dispatch, and avoided the first set of spike strips. When you add it all up, it just more likely that the driver did not do something right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events