Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 06:13 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,090,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
So a true Christian should have no more than 500k and a modest house. How did you come up with that? How much should non-Christians have?
Yeah, and how do you measure it? What's this "true" Christian thing? Who is appointed as the person to judge who is a "true" Christian and who isn't?

What if he donates a lot of money to charity? What if he helps support other people quietly? Who here is intimately familiar with all his finances?

I only have one car, and it's not new. Therefore, I decree that anyone who has a newer car than me and (heaven forbid!) more than one car is not a "True" Christian. Do you really need that car? Do you really need that kind of house? It's may not be a mansion, but it's in a better neighborhood than mine, so obviously if I can get along in a poorer neighborhood, you can too. If you were a "true" Christian, you'd sell your fancy house and move to a more modest neighborhood. After all, I said that you didn't "need" it, so obviously you don't and you should be ashamed...

Quote:
Are you also implying that Billy Graham earned his money dishonestly or hurt someone? If so, please explain. Did he somehow force people to buy his books? Are people guilable/stupid to buy his books versus buying some other kind of book?
He doesn't "deserve" that money! He should give it to the poor. He shouldn't have a right to decide what to do with his own funds. Everyone else can, but Christians in the public eye apparently have no such right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 06:13 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,793,423 times
May he RIP.

He was a great man.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:56 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
RIP to a long-lived man!

Old 02-23-2018, 11:19 PM

384 posts, read 272,522 times
RIP Billy Graham. Thank you for all the great work you did during your journey here on Earth. Your legacy will always be remembered here as your mission continues on eternally in Heaven.

Old 02-24-2018, 03:28 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
I thought you were talking about the wrestler.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:52 AM

2,077 posts, read 2,017,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
What remarks did he make? I somehow missed all that... Thanks for any help.
Hey ColoGuy , Retriever posted a link to something anti semitic he apparently said roughly 50 years ago ,I think on the first or second page of this thread . I read the link and it in all fairness is a strictly Jewish publication and the opinions of him were pretty slanted . I have no dog in this fight only what I recalled of him as a very small child. They admitted he had apologized and Jewish leaders had accepted ,but then the publication kinda put their own opinion in at the end of that sentence saying things would ( still) never be the same though .
I located the link :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
So, did you approve of his blatant anti-Semitism that was revealed on "the Nixon Tapes", or were you not aware that he was a phony and a bigot?

https://www.jta.org/2018/02/21/news-...ate-dies-at-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I can only speak for myself, of course, but to me, any TRUE Christian -- and especially a minister/pastor -- would be ashamed to die with more than his fairly modest home paid for and perhaps $500,000 in additional assets, if that -- as a safeguard against old age, sickness and possible poverty; to my way of thinking, this just stinks of hypocrisy. (And, also, this is one of the reasons I also think the Catholic Church is also terrible for being so wealthy.)

To be clear, I have nothing against wealth if it is earned honestly and obtained without hurting anyone, but I think it is nothing short of outrageous that some people get rich due to the gullibility/stupidity of others.

That, of course, is my opinion, and you, of course, are entitled to disagree.
I was Catholic in this life and even though I am agnostic right now, it has nothing to do with the Catholic Church itself . Our Priests and Sisters ( nuns for those who don't know what I am talking about ) all take a vow of poverty . That's pretty well known . They are also many times first on the scene to help nor did I EVER have a molesting priest of any kind so we aren't going there either . My issue is with the bible , people making obscene amounts of money off "God" and other issues that I personally just do not believe anymore .

Last edited by DutchessCottonPuff; 02-24-2018 at 06:11 AM..

Old 02-24-2018, 06:08 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
He was one of the better evangelists. He took pains to stay above reproach. Although criticized for refusing to be alone in a room with a woman, he realized the possible risks.
He was great, I tired to never miss his shows, I always expected him to make 100,
and he almost did.

Also like Ernest Angley, he is getting up there too, will turn 97 this august.
Watching his show helped me during a difficult time.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:52 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,964,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchessCottonPuff View Post
Hey ColoGuy , Retriever posted a link to something anti semitic he apparently said roughly 50 years ago ,I think on the first or second page of this thread . I read the link and it in all fairness is a strictly Jewish publication and the opinions of him were pretty slanted . I have no dog in this fight only what I recalled of him as a very small child. They admitted he had apologized and Jewish leaders had accepted ,but then the publication kinda put their own opinion in at the end of that sentence saying things would ( still) never be the same though .
I located the link :

I was Catholic in this life and even though I am agnostic right now, it has nothing to do with the Catholic Church itself . Our Priests and Sisters ( nuns for those who don't know what I am talking about ) all take a vow of poverty . That's pretty well known . They are also many times first on the scene to help nor did I EVER have a molesting priest of any kind so we aren't going there either . My issue is with the bible , people making obscene amounts of money off "God" and other issues that I personally just do not believe anymore .

Thanks for posting that. His warnings about the stranglehold on our mainstream media was quite prophetic. That situation is now far more advanced. "To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." And now I have touched the Third Rail.

Old 02-24-2018, 11:08 AM

50,790 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
He was one of the (rare) genuine articles in a business of Charlatans (Celebrity Preachers.)
Yup, and while he was following the teachings of Jesus, he would up with a $25 million fortune. Wait...that's not what Jesus taught.

Old 02-24-2018, 12:44 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
So a true Christian should have no more than 500k and a modest house. How did you come up with that? How much should non-Christians have?

Are you also implying that Billy Graham earned his money dishonestly or hurt someone? If so, please explain. Did he somehow force people to buy his books? Are people guilable/stupid to buy his books versus buying some other kind of book?
As I definitely implied in my post, I have no problem with anyone who has earned their wealth honestly and without hurting anyone. I also did not imply that Billy Graham earned his money dishonestly, although I do take issue with ANY church (or any other kind of organization) getting wealthy from taking advantage of people's stupidity and/or gullibility -- that I DID say, and I don't retract it. And, yes, I do think people are stupid if they send money that they can't afford to anyone for something that does not directly benefit them, but I think they are especially stupid/gullible if they send money they can't afford to fatten the bank account of someone or some church whose stated beliefs repeatedly stress the idea to give to the poor and not TAKE from the poor, although in practice they do the opposite.

Of course, I will very readily and willing admit that Graham was not nearly as bad as some other church leaders!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoQj2H2JiXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkyTIB9U4Xg

And, of course, I firmly believe that it is the right of anyone to spend their money however they like, but to repeat, I just object to people who would take advantage of someone's stupidity and gullibility, and I do think that anyone who believes someone who says that "the Lord" told him he needs a jet is very stupid and gullible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events