Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 07:59 PM

6,635 posts, read 2,823,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
YOU, Mike555, were the one who initiated the "Billy Graham is now with the Lord" statement. Why start a new thread based on a popular (though incorrect) Christian belief that the 'righteous dead' go immediately to heaven at death? You are simply being corrected.

And, Zymer IS correct.

If we're to believe the Bible then it's made abundantly clear in any number of scriptures that the dead (whether 'righteous' or not) are 'asleep' in their graves until 'the second coming'. So, according to the Bible - and not according to me or Zymer - Billy Graham IS 'sleeping' in his grave until 'resurrection morning'. Even the guy you quoted - Paul - believed that the dead 'sleep' in their graves until the time of Jesus' coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Take it to the Christianity forum. I'm not going to debate the issue of what the Bible says about life after death on this thread.
Again, YOU initiated a statement that was simply corrected. No one is debating you. They simply corrected you on the very thread where you made a bogus statement.

Would you care to debate this on another thread on the Christianity forum? In the scheme of things it hardly matters what happens to one when they die, i.e. it's not a salvation issue, but simply clearing up long-held beliefs that don't tally with the overall scriptural take on an issue might be worthy of discussion.

Oh, by the way ...REST in Peace Billy Graham . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 PM

17 posts, read 19,798 times
He was antisemitic
He was islamaphobic
He was anti-LGBT
He was a misogynist
He advocated a plan that would constitute a war crime and result in mass murder of millions
He preyed on the weak that needed guidance, but filled them with hate while stealing their money and leaving families in financial ruin.
He helped spread evangelicism and televangelism with all its hatred like anti-LGBT outside the U.S, especially to countries in Africa

... but he was pro civil rights and a Good™ Christian Man.

Of course his work in civil rights is an undeniable fact, but he had many abhorrent views that he helped spread. So he was 3/4 bigot, you're going to commend him on the 1/4? How about not being a bigot at all like other leaders and people?

He isn't complicated, he isn't good, he never apologised or changed his view on any of that, he's 100% a bad person and encompassed some of the worst conservatism you can get. I don't know how one could admire him and think he's good without acknowledging the bigger picture of who he was.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:27 PM

32,924 posts, read 26,155,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Again, YOU initiated a statement that was simply corrected. No one is debating you. They simply corrected you on the very thread where you made a bogus statement.

Would you care to debate this on another thread on the Christianity forum? In the scheme of things it hardly matters what happens to one when they die, i.e. it's not a salvation issue, but simply clearing up long-held beliefs that don't tally with the overall scriptural take on an issue might be worthy of discussion.

I just through telling both you and the other person to take it to the Christianity forum, so what do you think I meant?

Old 02-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
This is my opinion only. The comment above applies to today's world. Back in the day it was not wrong as it is today. A totally different time and mindset. I am sure he made his peace with the Lord and with all he ministered to. If he did not, then HE has to answer to God, and we may never know. But I give him a pass because the times and generations back then were totally different than today. They cannot be compared fairly. (BTW, I am responding blindly to the above post. I did not read or hear about it and choose not to).
Bill Graham spent his ENTIRE LIFE using people, hurting people and calling for the literal death of a million North Vietnamese people.

Quote:
A secret thirteen-page letter (released to the public by the National Archives and Records Administration in April 1989) was written on April 15, 1969, by White House Chaplain Billy Graham to U.S. President Richard Nixon in which Graham encouraged Nixon to utilize a military campaign to bomb dikes across North Vietnam should the Paris Peace Talks fail to reach a negotiated settlement of the U.S. war in Southeast Asia. Graham had developed his **** bombing strategy during an earlier business meeting in Bangkok with his evangelists assigned to Southern Vietnam. Graham later told Nixon that this proposed escalation of the war in Southeast Asia was a plan that "could overnight destroy the economy of North Vietnam" by employing "tens of thousands of North Vietnamese defectors to bomb and invade the North."

Estimates from the Nixon administration concluded that such a military aerial bombing campaign against dikes in North Vietnam would have killed approximately one million North Vietnamese.​
He used well-meaning Christians to enrich himself. He warped the mindset of these people. He is the reason the prosperity gospel is accepted now.

He did much more harm than good.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_...Views_on_women

Quote:
In 1970, Graham stated that feminism was "an echo of our overall philosophy of permissiveness" and that women did not want to be "competitive juggernauts pitted against male chauvinists". He further stated that the role of wife, mother, and homemaker was the destiny of "real womanhood" according to the Judeo-Christian ethic.
He had some abhorrent views.

Old 02-21-2018, 08:56 PM

6,635 posts, read 2,823,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I just through telling both you and the other person to take it to the Christianity forum, so what do you think I meant?
Now, now, Mike, don't get testy. I'll initiate a thread on the Christianity forum either later today or tomorrow and we can discuss the issue (from an OVERALL scriptural viewpoint rather than one seemingly contradictory or, rather, one misunderstood text from Paul) in a level-headed manner . . .

Old 02-21-2018, 09:17 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,735,830 times
I don't agree with practically anything he ever said publicly but on a human level may he RIP.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:18 PM

32,924 posts, read 26,155,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Now, now, Mike, don't get testy. I'll initiate a thread on the Christianity forum either later today or tomorrow and we can discuss the issue (from an OVERALL scriptural viewpoint rather than one seemingly contradictory or, rather, one misunderstood text from Paul) in a level-headed manner . . .
I'm not the one who's getting testy. I've made it clear that this thread is not the place to debate whether or not the Bible teaches an intermediate state of life after death before the resurrection.

So start your thread on the Christianity forum and give it your best shot.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:27 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,015,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassnon View Post
He was antisemitic
He was islamaphobic
He was anti-LGBT
He was a misogynist
The above is completely untrue.

I refuse to debate such close minded hatefulness about someone you know nothing about.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:38 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,246,513 times
Rest in peace dear Billy Graham. Unless God allows you to look back briefly on this evil world, we who are left here for a time love you and will miss you more than you will ever know.

Matthew 7:20 "Therefore by their fruits you will know them."

Old 02-21-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
The above is completely untrue.

I refuse to debate such close minded hatefulness about someone you know nothing about.
Uhhh...There is clear facts.

I even posted some of them. His talks with Nixon are very damning as well as what he said about women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events