Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 08:20 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I'm so confused. They didn't know what police officers or medication was, but were familiar enough with instagram and youtube to make videos and post on there? If there was access to internet, I don't understand why they didn't know about cops and medication.
It’s all strange. Since the father was an engineer, usually those kind of people are very smart. Although, in this case, the father is an evil man. Maybe this girl happened to be very bright and overheard things her parents talked about??? Maybe she knew about YouTube because of their parents’ wedding renewal vows in Las Vegas with Elvis???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
We kind of suspect that Louise and David only liked the children when they were younger. It's possible that they mainly talked to them in baby talk or the equivalent.

I'm still confused as to the YouTube and Instagram access. Maybe the 17 year old was somehow a favorite child who got to do things the others didn't. Sometimes kids will take on more parental roles when one of the parents is dysfunctional. Maybe the 17 year old knew more because she had to overcome Louise's weaknesses in order to survive. I guess it is also possible that being child # 7 or 8 that Louise and David were more lax about what they allowed. I think a lot of our questions will get answered in time.
Good possibilities... Usually, in dysfunctional families, there’s a favorite child that gets privileges that the other kids don’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
As I recall, it was a cell phone she had found somewhere in the house. The service on that phone had been discontinued, but you can still call 911 on a discontinued phone as long as it was charged. And she had taken photos on the phone to prove the abuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
How did she post videos using a phone with no service, though?
I had wondered this too... How was she able to do those things if the cell phone was no longer in service? My guess maybe she had seen the cell phone laying around the house and when she had the chance, she took it to use. Then when her parents realized the phone had disappeared and couldn’t find it, they disconnected it. That’s my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
But how did she take and send Youtube videos without knowing what they were and that she didn't know that she could contact authorities? I wouldn't want to question her knowledge of how the Internet worked as I cannot possibly know. But it's a mystery nonetheless. I'm 67 and some of the internet is a mystery to me as well.

I only wish them all the best recovery and happiness.
Thats the thing about the news. They only let out bits of info at a time to keep us hooked in wanting us to know more about what happened so sometimes, it becomes confusing.

I wish them tne best too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 08:26 PM

309 posts, read 515,619 times
Sounds like a scam.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:59 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradomom22 View Post
I'd like to know when those videos were posted. Because that daughter has her hair styled differently in each video as well as makeup in some. That contradicts being chained to a bed and never being allowed to bathe.
Not all the children were chained up at the same time. Yeah, I was surprised that the daughter was wearing makeup and her hair looked like it has been brushed. When police came to the door, only 3 were chained up, so....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily Pad View Post
Sounds like a scam.
Explain yourself. How do you explain 12 of the 13 children being malnourished? No 29yr. old should weigh 82 pounds unless there’s a medical reason or has an addiction problem. How do you explain the 7 adults still being treated at a hospital?

Old 03-11-2018, 09:34 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
The disconnects make it confusing. But it's also possible this one 17 year old was more sophisticated and knowledgeable than the rest of the kids -- I'm not sure how, but it's possible. Maybe the ones who were confused about cops and medication were some of the other kids and not her. Also due to the abuse, it's probable that some kids are not as clear-headed as this 17 year old seems to be. However the story pans out, it seems the other kids were lucky to have this girl as their sister/savior.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Astonishing news about the brave young lady who escaped and freed her siblings: she had a YouTube channel under a pseudonym, and posted short videos of herself singing songs she'd written! It's also reported that she had an Instagram account.

The absolute courage, determination and enterprise in the face of close to lethal danger which it took to do this is jaw-dropping. Edited copies of a couple of the videos can be seen on CNN and network news - I have only read reports of the Instagram account. YouTube has pulled the videos, no doubt for legal reasons.

The family's two small dogs appear on one video - both are wearing cute doggie-sweaters. Looks as if they and the youngest child were "babied" while the older siblings were severely abused...

I hope this young lady can eventually have other YouTube and Instagram channels, if she wants them, and receives all the encouragement in the world to continue her pursuit of music or anything else which interests her. She has a sweet soprano voice - untrained, of course, but still sweet.
Some of her videos were shown recently on one if those entertainment/news shows like “Inside Edition.” I hadn’t seen them before.

It was sad to watch but must have been therapeutic for her to make. She is one very brave person.

Last edited by Minervah; 03-11-2018 at 10:10 PM..

Old 03-11-2018, 10:26 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I

Thats the thing about the news. They only let out bits of info at a time to keep us hooked in wanting us to know more about what happened so sometimes, it becomes confusing.

I wish them tne best too
I'm not so cynical that I believe the news outlets are deliberately leaking bits of info at a time. The news of these kids is being tightly controlled to protect them. The news outlets are just as hungry for their stories as we are. Maybe what they (the media) learn is being distorted or misinterpreted, as can happen when only small pieces of a story become known. I believe all/most will be revealed in time (probably on Dr. Phil!?!) but for now, we should take every news bite with a grain of salt, believe the bigger story and focus on the recovery and well being of all the children.

I, for one, will be more than willing to never learn what really happened if these kids get all they need to function and prosper in their new life.. I will never believe that it's some kind of scam in which they are all willing participants. They are victims and I wish all courage and love to them as they move on in life.

If I could, I'd love to take one or two of them in and love (and feed) the bejabbers out of them.

Ultimately though, I know that keeping them growing and strengthening together is the best to be hoped for.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,585,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Here's a spin-off story on the issue of assets for Medicaid eligibility. Prior to about 18 years ago, the assets limit for Medicaid was $5,000. When people came into the local office to apply, they were given outdated forms that had instructions that the assets limit was $5,000. If applicants listed any amount of assets that was between $2,000. and $5,000., they were rejected.

When workers were asked why they used forms that indicated the old $5,000. limit, they replied that their regulations required that the old forms be used up, before new ones could be ordered. The workers also said that if the misinformed applicants revealed that they had more than $2,000., then they didn't deserve the benefits and no apologies needed to be made.

They didn't bother to verbally inform the applicants that the assets had been further limited. After all, if some of the applicants were rejected because of this, then that made less work for the civil-servants at the agencies and less benefits to be provided. The lesson in this, is to never believe anything you're told by these benefit-managing agencies, as they routinely lie, telling many eligible people that they don't qualify.

A similar scam, is the process for getting Social Security Disability, where everyone is routinely rejected and forced to pay a lawyer to get approved. There are many bottom-feeding lawyers whose entire practices are in skimming off the impoverished applicants, who have to give them a percentage of their first year's benefits. It's the practice of law at its lowest level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
The subject of this thread is the Turpin family.

Maybe you should get yourself appointed as a moderator here, so you can control the content to the degree you'd like?

Old 03-12-2018, 06:12 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,055,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
It’s all strange. Since the father was an engineer, usually those kind of people are very smart.
Smart people do crappy things. Smart and social status has nothing to do with someone's moral outlook...right?

Old 03-12-2018, 07:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
It occurs to me that maybe some of these kids may have disabilities outside of abuse and neglect, that would account for their lack of knowledge.

The parents are bizarre and evil, that's for sure. But I wonder if the surprise raid by police were to happen at 2 in the afternoon, rather than 2 in the morning, would those 3 kids have been chained to their beds?

I wonder how much detail will come out in their trial?

Next court appearance for something - don't know what: March 23
Preliminary hearing tentative date: May 14. Counsel for Mr. Turpin has expressed concern that they may not be ready by that date due to voluminous discovery evidence

Last edited by ClaraC; 03-12-2018 at 08:18 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 08:15 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Maybe you should get yourself appointed as a moderator here, so you can control the content to the degree you'd like?
She posted that comment because the previous thread about this family was shut down because it veered off track into a heated argument about government benefits and got shut down. As she explained in her previous post, she did not want to see that happening again when the topic was brought up again. I don’t believe she was trying to control the conversation any further than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events