Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 02:38 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,543,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Yes...if they are truly that badly off, I doubt paying to have them spayed was a priority.
That’s fair. At some point they had a home and even if they started with a cat or two as a pat they should have spayed or neutered them and/or they shouldn’t have taken in strays. What’s done is done, and now the world is seeing what happens when you let yourself go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2018, 04:04 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,064,773 times
I always see stories like this and think "you know, even if my life was this bad I would still try really hard to at least keep things as clean/sanitary as possible".

But at the same time I am sure there is major depression involved. There comes a point where people become so overcome with everything that they just give up. Not dealing with it becomes easier than dealing with it because they don't know what to do. Seems like some hoarding issues, too.

Breaks my heart people live like this.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,305,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I always see stories like this and think "you know, even if my life was this bad I would still try really hard to at least keep things as clean/sanitary as possible".

But at the same time I am sure there is major depression involved. There comes a point where people become so overcome with everything that they just give up. Not dealing with it becomes easier than dealing with it because they don't know what to do. Seems like some hoarding issues, too.

The word overwhelmed comes to mind. A person's mental or physical ability to handle daily life will determine what its takes for a person to reach the point of 'giving up'. Unfortunately, some people just don't have the 'tools' they need... and I'm not talking about community help/support. What's inside a person's character will determine whether efforts to help him will do any good... or not. That's why social services (& tax dollars) don't, and won't help everyone.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:23 PM

29,473 posts, read 22,487,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
I couldn't have said it better myself. I'd like to add how much we spend on wars and their machines too.
Yup we've lost over a hundred billion dollars in useless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, money which simply vanished and the US government has no idea what happened to it.

It's beyond obscene when that money could have helped people like these.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:43 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,488,929 times
Quote:

Agree with all of this. We don't know about these specific people, but in general, yeah. I wouldn't know how to dig a whatever for waste. I have absolutely no idea (nor do I want to have to find out) what in the h to do in that sit.

I've seen a lot of hoarder shows where the people themselves were neat as a pin, and there was cleanliness, and others where a lot more than hoarding was going on, with all the filth, and all I could think was 'it got too overwhelming, they gave up on the impossibility of the tasks'.

Like the one with the plugged up toilet and an overflowing bucket used for waste. I thought, she must have not been able to afford a plumber, or was to embarrassed to have one come. She thought she'd be able to clean that bucket, but then couldn't figure out how.

Old 03-04-2018, 12:26 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,646,080 times
It's always California. What's wrong with my state?

Old 03-04-2018, 04:44 AM

31,341 posts, read 14,176,868 times
Quote:

They are responsible for their own lifestyle. Since they wouldn't do the bare minimum, like decluttering the area - it's tough for me to be all that concerned. The kids were not being abused, by all accounts the parents loved the kids. There's only so much that anyone else can do for them if they won't help themselves.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:23 AM

6,713 posts, read 2,857,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup we've lost over a hundred billion dollars in useless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, money which simply vanished and the US government has no idea what happened to it.

It's beyond obscene when that money could have helped people like these.
Why is it that so many people actually believe that 'money' is all that's required to resolve the issues - social, medical, etc. - that affect human beings? Moreover, the facts are that if the over a hundred billion dollars spent on useless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan had not been spent on these useless wars it would STILL not have been spent on the poor.

Old 03-04-2018, 06:12 AM

15,207 posts, read 10,238,419 times
I'm a little confused by this story. They were arrested because they are poor or because they are poor and didn't try to get government help?

Old 03-04-2018, 07:46 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,653,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I think there is going to be more to this story. One article I read stated that the father lived in the trailer, mother and children lived in the "box". A neighbor stated that people move out there (no water, no electricity) to get off of the grid. Being poor isn't a crime. This doesn't look like a simple case of poverty to me.
I read that they actually owned the property, so not homeless in the sense we tend to think of it.
They apparently couldn’t afford to build a permanent structure.

“They lived with a friend in Yucca Valley for a year before Panico bought the property where he currently lives on Sunfair Road in Joshua Tree and purchased the trailer to live in.

Panico’s plan, said Reynolds, was to build a geodesic dome with solar shelves to light the house. But somewhere, the plan took a wrong turn.”

https://www.sbsun.com/2018/03/02/jos...n-court-today/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events