Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 03:31 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times

Advertisements

I could see a raise if the schools would go to trimesters. Many people resent paying teachers for doing nothing 3 months a year. The kids would be better off, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 03:46 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
I could see a raise if the schools would go to trimesters. Many people resent paying teachers for doing nothing 3 months a year. The kids would be better off, too.
They don't get paid for summer break.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
But they don't, that is merely a talking point by people who believe that teachers truly take off during vacations and the summer. Maybe they do for a week or two like everyone else, but a majority if the vacations are spent grading and planning.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:05 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You sound like the old coots who live by me that laugh that they don't have to pay their fair share to schools and do little to help Arizona get the best workforce. Fact, WV is 48 out of 50 states on teacher pay while AZ is 50th. I can settle that one state has to be the bottom, but the fact is no state should want to settle for that, nor try to lower the bottom. I have the belief that Arizona would seek to be the 51st state because of people like you who don't want to pay their fair share.

NY has issues and it isn't just educator pay and benefits. There is a LOT of taxes there and other east coast states and a few others like Illinois and California. That said, that 64K average may only keep you afloat in NY due to higher costs of living downstate. Upstate would be lower but it would also be adjusted too. Compare this to AZ or WV teachers and they are drastically underpaid.

The same is going on in Arizona and the lawmakers claim "they don't have it in the budget" to increase wages beyond a percent, yet the governor will increase staff wages by as much as 20%...

Here's the thing though, it don't work like that. Arizona has a lot of subs and long-term subs as well as over-crowded classrooms due to a lack of teachers. The average educator in AZ gets paid 47K with starting pay being around 35K. You fire all that walk, how will you replace them? In fact, AZ actually has shortages in nearly every subject as is already before we fire teachers just to replace them should AZ teachers walk out the way WV teachers did.

I went to a university known for being a teacher's college, it was actually the school's center for years. Many students had jobs in California lined-up after graduation actually rather than stay in state. I would have been a teacher myself, but it actually requires a teaching certificate and in classroom experience and in some cases a masters. Only CTE jobs actually can bypass that with specific work experience of about 200 work hours.
I suppose that it depends how how one defines a "fair share".

It seems to me that parents should be paying MORE in taxes used to fund schooling for THEIR children. And it should e factored on a per child basis.

Meanwhile, childless people are paying for services that they have never actively used. And that seems extremely unfair to me. Then, what about the "old coots" who haven't sent a child through the public school system for many decades?

Meanwhile, those who chose to sent their kids to a private school only have to pay for that schooling while their child is attending the school. Once the child graduates, the bills to the private school end. And that seems a fairer system to me. Plus, those parents are still paying property taxes towards the public schools that other children are attending.

The public school system is broken. And the teachers are holding the students hostage.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:58 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They don't get paid for summer break.
They don't even get the summer off. They have to go to seminars, meetings,etc. They have to report for duty before school even starts to get prepared. They do not get summer off.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:22 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
They don't even get the summer off. They have to go to seminars, meetings,etc. They have to report for duty before school even starts to get prepared. They do not get summer off.
I guess it varies from state to state then because in California teachers work a 10 month schedule, they can spread their annual pay over 12 months but they do not get paid for two summer months

Old 03-08-2018, 07:08 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
We are a two teacher household. We will be “off” from June 20 through August 16. We do go back a week (actually 7 work days) before the students begin, but we are paid for those days.

We get ten paychecks with no option for twelve. We just set money aside from each of the ten. Next year we will move to 11 paychecks.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I suppose that it depends how how one defines a "fair share".

It seems to me that parents should be paying MORE in taxes used to fund schooling for THEIR children. And it should e factored on a per child basis.

Meanwhile, childless people are paying for services that they have never actively used. And that seems extremely unfair to me. Then, what about the "old coots" who haven't sent a child through the public school system for many decades?

Meanwhile, those who chose to sent their kids to a private school only have to pay for that schooling while their child is attending the school. Once the child graduates, the bills to the private school end. And that seems a fairer system to me. Plus, those parents are still paying property taxes towards the public schools that other children are attending.

The public school system is broken. And the teachers are holding the students hostage.
OK about things we pay for but don't use:
Medicare, anyone who gets paid and not under the table pays for Medicare, what about those that die before they turn 66? Social Security is the same though federal workers get paid as early as 62.
Politicians, most of us will never be a politician but we have to pay for them, their travel, their pensions, their healthcare...
Emergency services, many of us wont need fire fighters for first aid or rescue, or police if you were attacked or robbed, yet we do pay for them.
Buses and trains, we pay for them and subsidize the low prices for the passengers.
Disaster relief, we pay for FEMA relief and many of us live in areas that will not ever need FEMA to help us out.
Small business assistance, yep taxes help some people who do create a small businesses.

So let's get rid of those too because not everyone uses them either. I hate using the slippery slope, but it is a real problem when we decide to remove one thing that hurts others who don't use something from taxes, there are actually a whole lot of programs that also fit that bill. What if you were asked to not get disaster relief from FEMA because people in say Arizona wouldn't need it but have to pay for your flooding?

Private schools aren't a fair system. OK if you have the money to pay for them great you can go. If not, you may live in a state that offers vouchers. Oh what a great idea, we can give vouchers for those who cannot afford private education but can go... However in Arizona, it was found a majority of the vouchers went to students who are not in the economic position that they can't already go to the private school. That and it is common for private education to "cream skim" and cherry pick students.

To your closing point, teachers are not holding students hostage. I don't get where you think the teachers themselves are the problem. IMHO, the issue is admin especially at district levels and narrow-minded people that think that they shouldn't pay for public education because they didn't need it and/or they don't have children that need it or think teachers truly work 190 days a year. Maybe on-the-clock, but there's a lot of weekend, holiday and vacation planning, grading and training for teachers to do.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:47 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,488,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We are a two teacher household. We will be “off” from June 20 through August 16. We do go back a week (actually 7 work days) before the students begin, but we are paid for those days.

We get ten paychecks with no option for twelve. We just set money aside from each of the ten. Next year we will move to 11 paychecks.
When I was still in school long time ago, couple of my teachers told me they got maybe a few weeks off in June and had mandatory meetings and/or lectures to update them on changes and such starting in July. Our school year started day after labor day, but the teachers reported to the school in August for registration and to start planning curriculum. And then during the school years they even spent weekends grading papers and writing tests. When my daughter was in school they used print out tests that were premade for them to give to students, but when I was in school the teachers wrote their own tests and used their own curriculum.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:50 AM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I guess it varies from state to state then because in California teachers work a 10 month schedule, they can spread their annual pay over 12 months but they do not get paid for two summer months

Teachers get paid for the days they work, typically 185-205 days. Those teachers who get paid during the summer are actually getting deferred compensation, the pay is spread over, typically but not always since some systems issue paychecks once a month, 26 pays rather than 22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events