Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:34 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,124,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Right now I feel the future will be 1984 as I believe we are heading in that direction. That or Skynet will become self aware.

Either way we screwed ourselves.
Yes, we are so convinced that digital technology as put us everywhere at once and we are very much the center of the world. Forgetting, of course, that every single thing we do or ever have done is in huge government and private data banks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 11:38 AM

8,424 posts, read 6,799,438 times
The singularity is coming and it won't be friendly to us old fashioned humans.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:42 AM

220 posts, read 144,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I think it was right about the time NASA was repurposed as a muslim outreach program and we started having to hitch rides from the Russians to get in to low orbit that I realized the future I had envisioned as a child was officially dead. I agree with the poster who said our future will more closely resemble "1984" than it will "Star Trek". What I once looked towards with hope and wonder I now anticipate only with disappointment and apprehension. We had so much potential and we've wasted it.
Disgusting. Totally accurate. We have only ourselves to blame. Most of us realize that. And, still, do nothing.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:14 PM

383 posts, read 427,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I think it was right about the time NASA was repurposed as a muslim outreach program and we started having to hitch rides from the Russians to get in to low orbit that I realized the future I had envisioned as a child was officially dead. I agree with the poster who said our future will more closely resemble "1984" than it will "Star Trek". What I once looked towards with hope and wonder I now anticipate only with disappointment and apprehension. We had so much potential and we've wasted it.
You're an eloquent writer. And I agree.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:29 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,929,747 times
The American dream was different for everyone. As a kid who grew up in the projects and small apartments the dream was to own a home. Accomplished. Coming from a broken home the dream was to have a wife and family. Accomplished. Working my way through college while living at home the dream was to have a good job I enjoyed doing. Accomplished. Taking the subway to work every day for 35 years, my dream was to retire. Accomplished. The dream is in your mind. Whether or not you accomplish it is based on what you want and how achievable it is and your luck, initiative, commitment, and attitude. Does it really matter whether we are driving Jetson type air cars or horse drawn wagons? I don't think so. Whether we spend our spare time on the internet or whittling? I don't think so. What's important is how we live and how we deal with it, not what's fed to us on the nightly news.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:52 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,077,845 times
Never dreamed we would have phones that basically worked as computers in our pockets. I thought we would have flying cars by now, but the way people drive on the street distracted by these devices above, it's better we don't. I remember beepers, and the need to use payphone that were found on the street frequently. Thought CD's would be around longer with music stores. But one can just download music. Instead of a music shelf it gets stored on a small device by the hundreds. Mind blowing really.

In regards to community and family, knew I would move from my old neighborhood eventually but didn't think so much family would be gone from the world or estranged from each other. That part really sucks. But adults will make their own choices. Way it goes. Many fought on social media also and still do over things. No more picking up the landline to yell at each other.

Old 03-07-2018, 02:30 PM

11,306 posts, read 16,614,252 times
For those who doubt our future of screwing ourselves.

Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUyU3lKzoio

and then this from the Black Mirror series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQFoyeCiMBE

Old 03-07-2018, 02:55 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,358,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
The American dream was different for everyone. As a kid who grew up in the projects and small apartments the dream was to own a home. Accomplished. Coming from a broken home the dream was to have a wife and family. Accomplished. Working my way through college while living at home the dream was to have a good job I enjoyed doing. Accomplished. Taking the subway to work every day for 35 years, my dream was to retire. Accomplished. The dream is in your mind. Whether or not you accomplish it is based on what you want and how achievable it is and your luck, initiative, commitment, and attitude. Does it really matter whether we are driving Jetson type air cars or horse drawn wagons? I don't think so. Whether we spend our spare time on the internet or whittling? I don't think so. What's important is how we live and how we deal with it, not what's fed to us on the nightly news.
Beautifully written and so true. Take a look at the Retirement Forum on CD. One would think the Dream of many was nothing but wealth. If one does not have it they are to be scorned as lesser people. Some appear to believe only money and only the things money can buy will make them successful and happy. My parents were not like that. When did people become that way?

Did anyone in the past ever say they hoped the future would bring us happiness and contentment rather than “things?” Not that there is anything inherently wrong with “things.” I like things. I’m typing on a very modern thing right now. But has it brought happiness? Other than the happiness of convenience not really.

I think maybe at this point we might want to ask ourselves whether or not some of these big dreams that have come true have turned or are turning into nightmares. Now that the future that was talked about in the past is here.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:05 PM

383 posts, read 427,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Another eloquent response that basically underscores my original post, asking if how you perceived the future depended on anything other than loved ones (and certainly, your dreams all concern loved ones, including yourself! Congratulations.)

Old 03-07-2018, 03:10 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,929,747 times
Thanks Purplecow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplecow View Post
Another eloquent response that basically underscores my original post, asking if how you perceived the future depended on anything other than loved ones (and certainly, your dreams all concern loved ones, including yourself! Congratulations.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events