Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 02:10 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times

Advertisements

Can I buy my own identity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 08:30 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
That's why I NEVER do anything other than peruse information.... and go on this forum online.
I can't imagine doing any banking online.
People are too trusting if they believe their personal info is secure....there's always some way to hack it.
Even using it offline carries risks. My debit card was cloned few weeks ago, locally. It was a swipe transaction or three that my bank fingered almost immediately, but they had actually cloned the magnetic strip, and I don't even use my card at gas pumps.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:33 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Can I buy my own identity?
Can I have Richard Branson's? My own private island and space ship sound like fun.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:40 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
$160.15 for one account?

I'll sell my entire identity for $50.00. Here's the fine print:

-Cash only.
-Identity is sold As-Is. The seller is waived from responsibility for any adverse & unfortunate events that may occur to the buyer as a result of assuming the identity, including but not limited to: Those of Financial & Forensic discovery.
-No refunds.
-The fee to return the identity will be $1,500.00. Cash only, prior to & in full is required.
-Any upgrades to identity while in your possession will be retained with identity upon return, including but not limited to: Credit Score & satisfaction of Outstanding Judgments & Warrants.
-Any obligations incurred by the buyer for any ongoing Mental Healthcare services resulting from use of identity, including but not limited to: Addiction, Agoraphobia, Paranoia & PTSD, etc ... Will remain the responsibility of the buyer.

I mean; who reads the fine print anyway?

Old 06-21-2018, 08:33 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,276,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Even using it offline carries risks. My debit card was cloned few weeks ago, locally. It was a swipe transaction or three that my bank fingered almost immediately, but they had actually cloned the magnetic strip, and I don't even use my card at gas pumps.
Freaky!!!

Old 06-21-2018, 10:54 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,868,731 times
That's why I changed all my passwords from 1234 to 1234...5. That'll show em!

Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Mine was cloned at a gas pump. I have stopped paying at the pump. I go inside. The gas station where my card was cloned at no longer accepts credit and debit. I wonder if the CC company revoked their privileges? I know I'm not the only one who's card got skimmed at that store.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:25 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
FYI..your going on-line or not makes no difference to most hackers...they hack the financial institution..not your computer.
Exactly. Most hacking jobs involve breaking into a database and stealing thousands of accounts at one time. I don't get where people think not banking online insulates them from this, it isn't like the bank keeps folders with paper account statements in some big warehouse for those customers who choose to not bank online.

Something easy to do is set up multi-step authentication. To log into my bank online they send a 4 digit code to my phone, which I type in to access my account online. Foolproof? Of course not. But makes for fruit that isn't as low hanging, since they now need to have my phone in addition to a stolen/cracked password. Many banks you can set up alerts for transactions, I get a text for every single one. If someone cloned my credit card I'd know within a few seconds of them using it and I'd cut it off, limiting damage.

Technology has advantages and disadvantages in the world of fraud.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:25 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEyeFleegle View Post
FYI..your going on-line or not makes no difference to most hackers...they hack the financial institution..not your computer. You use a credit card on-line..could be bad. You use a credit card in a restaurant that has an online presence..could still be bad.

A person could be totally without any online presence and still get screwed. Although the odds are greatly lessened.
The main B of A office for the southwest region was hacked a few years ago. It does happen.

I remember seeing something on TV about how gas pump credit card functions are hacked. I guess I should stop using my card to buy gas? I only started using it a year ago, to rack up more points on my card.

Old 06-21-2018, 01:29 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,137,107 times
Alot of these hacks are the faults of these big comapnies, as someone who is in IT , ive seen many times with Govt, Banks, Airlines etc, in which their Servers, Storage Arrays, or Switches are way out of date on patches or firmware, simply because they have a, if it aint broke ...im not touching it mentality, they cant risk the 20 minute downtime for a firmware update, or something went wrong during a update years back and they dont want to take that chance, so the end result is a out of date configuration and hackers see a vulnerability somewhere whether though JAVA, etc and just attack or 1 component fails and takes down everything else.

Even AA recent IT meltdown could have been avoided if their IT team was monitoring their system more closely. These Equifax leaks dont help any of his either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events