Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 07:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'll be the first to say I wouldn't have known being in an overhead bin would kill a dog. It seems likely they arranged the luggage in such a way that nothing would topple on top of the dog.
The dog died from lack of oxygen, which is something all living creatures need to survive. You cant put a dog in a sealed container for 3 hours and expect it to live. Who doesn't know that?

Short nosed dogs, such as pugs and French bulldogs also have a difficult time breathing. I wouldn't expect everyone to know that, but the owner should have known. These types of dogs are not allowed in the cargo area of planes because so many have died.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:08 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,994,586 times
Quote:
I wonder if they'll necropsy the dog and determine cause of death.

Surely those overhead bins aren't air tight? Doesn't seem to me like they are. But maybe it doesn't have to be air tight to still seal it enough to cause a carbon dioxide problem.
I've never seen an airtight overhead bin. There is just no need for it. The whole thing seems very odd to me - I can't get why the dog died. The report I saw said the dog was a pup - 8 months old. The carrier was a TSA approved style for pets. The report also said it was the F/A who put the dog in the O/H, not the passenger.

I almost have to wonder if the dog died from pure stress.

BTW, I worked for the airlines for many years - I've had some experience with O/H bins. And I can't see how anyone could tell, at this point, if the dog died from lack of oxygen. If the dog were autopsied, we might know, but otherwise it could be a number of things. Personally, I think somebody is trolling the thread just to get responses.

Last edited by hiero2; 03-13-2018 at 07:17 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 07:09 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The dog died from lack of oxygen, which is something all living creatures need to survive. You cant put a dog in a sealed container for 3 hours and expect it to live. Who doesn't know that?

Short nosed dogs, such as pugs and French bulldogs also have a difficult time breathing. I wouldn't expect everyone to know that, but the owner should have known. These types of dogs are not allowed in the cargo area of planes because so many have died.
I'm saying, I don't know/didn't know that those containers are sealed. It seems clear that they are not completely sealed, as this dog lived and breathed enough O2 to bark for a half hour.

I fly regularly. If these overhead bins are TRULY "sealed", I will be surprised.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Well, that is not what I am reading as reported so who know what the real story is? What I am led to believe is that she asked the flight attendant who told her to stuff it in the overhead which is clearly against all aviation rules.
No, she chose to put her dog in the overhead bin. She could have said no, but she did not. She was the one who killed that poor dog, no one else.

Just like the other idiot who decided to flush her hamster down a airport toilet. Pet owners are responsible for the lives of their pets, and these two proved they're not capable of such responsibilities.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:12 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
I've never seen an airtight overhead bin. There is just no need for it. The whole thing seems very odd to me - I can't get why the dog died. The report I saw said the dog was a pup - 8 months old. The carrier was a TSA approved style for pets.

I almost have to wonder if the dog died from pure stress.
THAT is what I suspect. A combination of pure stress and possibly compromised oxygen that a very calm similar sized animal could survive in.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:13 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,528 times
I did not realize that other passengers could hear the dog barking for the first 30 minutes of flight. I can guarantee you that I personally would have checked on the dog if I heard it, even though it wasn't mine. I can't believe no one stepped up.

And it is absolutely the owners fault despite the stupid flight attendant because the owner is ultimately responsible for the safety of her dog. They should both be charged with animal endangerment/neglect/cruelty.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I did not realize that other passengers could hear the dog barking for the first 30 minutes of flight. I can guarantee you that I personally would have checked on the dog if I heard it, even though it wasn't mine. I can't believe no one stepped up.

And it is absolutely the owners fault despite the stupid flight attendant because the owner is ultimately responsible for the safety of her dog. They should both be charged with animal endangerment/neglect/cruelty.
Really, would you, not knowing what you know now, that the dog died? A barking dog is a healthy dog. I wouldn't have suspected the dog was having a health issue in the overhead bin if he was barking for a half hour.

I do realize that this information, that the dog barked for a half hour, completely negates the idea that the flight attendant did not know there was a dog in the bag that she forced a passenger to place in an overhead bin.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Really, would you, not knowing what you know now, that the dog died? A barking dog is a healthy dog. I wouldn't have suspected the dog was having a health issue in the overhead bin if he was barking for a half hour.
Seriously? I hope you don't have pets if you thought this was perfectly acceptable.

And no, a dog does not typically bark because it is happy and healthy. The dog was in distress. The owner could hear her dog was in distress, and just continued to sit in her seat like an idiot.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:17 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,528 times
Quote:
Really, would you, not knowing what you know now? A barking dog is a healthy dog. I wouldn't have suspected the dog was having a health issue in the overhead bin if he was barking for a half hour.
Yes really. If you heard barking from an overhead you wouldn't? They do not belong up there. They are meant to be under the seat or in cargo unless you pay for 1st class transport then they may be up front.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:21 PM

I realize there are some posters here who just want to take full face punches at me, (or really anyone they can justify taking punches at) but no, I don't think everyone knows overhead bins are death chambers for dogs, and also, I know that a dog who is barking in a full throated way is not typically dying.

And so, carry on with your discussion, I'm going to exit this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events