Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 10:54 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Compared to Colombia or wherever, sure. How about comparing to first-world nations? A category that, at a stretch, I guess includes Alabama.

But hey, look at that: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/u...ood-money.html - the governor actually took action.
Um ok and your point is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 11:11 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I disagree with that. If the criminal comes out and is able to fully function in society as a tax-paying citizen, it is well worth the cost of college. Which is much cheaper than we would spend if that same person became a career criminal and we had to pay to house him for decades. The revolving door we have now is not doing anything but getting private prison owners and politicians fat and rich and not one thing to better society nor make it safer.

I'd sure rather see it go to a college education than toward some sheriff's beach house. This guy is the swamp at its' worst IMO, and the laws that allowed him to do it are designed to reward the swamp creatures at our expense.

No it's not. How the eff is that fair? I didn't break any laws but I was a single parent who worked full time and went to school full time and I was never on any assistance of any kind, plus I paid for my college education on my own.

So the way you think, tells me I could have had the tax payers pay for my college education, by breaking the law and going to prison? You have got to be kidding me! Let me guess... you have a relative, SO, friend, etc. incarcerated?

Old 07-20-2018, 05:28 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
No it's not. How the eff is that fair? I didn't break any laws but I was a single parent who worked full time and went to school full time and I was never on any assistance of any kind, plus I paid for my college education on my own.

So the way you think, tells me I could have had the tax payers pay for my college education, by breaking the law and going to prison? You have got to be kidding me! Let me guess... you have a relative, SO, friend, etc. incarcerated?
It’s not about fair, it’s about making society safer. Having a person come out of prison able to function in society makes us a better society. Maybe if we didn’t spend trillions on a revolving prison door industry and career criminals, there would be enough money to give everyone free college. But how does it make your life better or safer if that criminal comes out to commit more crimes?

They aren’t going to Bryn Mawr college, it’s probably CC and state school. Inmates can use their time to work out and join gangs and let their anger at society fester until they get out and act on it, or they can use their time to become better people who are productive citizens. It’s no contest which is better for society.

And I paid off student loans till I was 45.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:39 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It wasn't an "accounting problem" it was legal for Alabama Sheriffs to pocket any money they did not spend from the inmate food budget.
If the amount isn't documented then it is indeed a problem. May as well call it skimming.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:45 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,235 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It’s not about fair, it’s about making society safer. Having a person come out of prison able to function in society makes us a better society. Maybe if we didn’t spend trillions on a revolving prison door industry and career criminals, there would be enough money to give everyone free college. But how does it make your life better or safer if that criminal comes out to commit more crimes?

They aren’t going to Bryn Mawr college, it’s probably CC and state school. Inmates can use their time to work out and join gangs and let their anger at society fester until they get out and act on it, or they can use their time to become better people who are productive citizens. It’s no contest which is better for society.

And I paid off student loans till I was 45.
That poster fails to see the forest for the trees - the achievement of lower recidivism rates through such things as education is, on balance, a savings to the taxpayer. It reduces the direct costs of future arrest/prosecution/incarceration.

Quote:
The findings, from the largest-ever meta-analysis of correctional educational studies, suggest that prison education programs are cost effective, with a $1 investment in prison education reducing incarceration costs by $4 to $5 during the first three years post-release.
https://www.rand.org/news/press/2013/08/22.html

Old 07-20-2018, 05:49 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Yes they do, compared to other countries they are spoiled. Let even a tenth of these inmates spend a year in a Russian prison and then come back and post here.
Why would you compare inmates in the US to those in Russia? That makes absolutely no sense. If you compare Russian prisons to North Korean prisoners then Russian prisoners are spoiled

Old 07-20-2018, 10:16 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Um ok and your point is?
I thought it was pretty clear - the US should hold herself to a higher standard. "those incarcerated in the USA have it WAY easier compared to the rest of the world" is only true if you compare to what I believe is currently called sh*thole countries. Try a UK or German or Scandinavian prison for comparison - I mean, those are the first-world standards we should strive for, yes?

Old 07-20-2018, 10:19 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
So the way you think, tells me I could have had the tax payers pay for my college education, by breaking the law and going to prison?
Have at it. Not because I really care about you, personally, but if doing so lowers the risk of you going back to prison, then I save money on my taxes, you don't have to go get locked up again, and everybody wins.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:58 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Have at it. Not because I really care about you, personally, but if doing so lowers the risk of you going back to prison, then I save money on my taxes, you don't have to go get locked up again, and everybody wins.
You make complete sense, but the problem is that many people in the United States aren't really interested in lower recidivism rates or lower taxes that would result from a more progressive penal system. They are only interested in punishing, punishing, punishing criminals. It is something that has been deeply imbedded into many Americans during the last forty or fifty years. They are convinced that those in prison are getting a "great deal" and are being held in country-club prisons. All the evidence to the contrary won't convince them because they have been fed a certain narrative for years.

I suspect if someone suggested that we beat or cane prisoners as they do in Singapore that many people would support that as well. They would do this even though our own Constitution protects even the poorest and lowest individuals in this country from cruel and unusual punishment in the Eighth Amendment.

For starters, many states and the federal prison system do not pay for prisoners to go to college. In many states, the choices are limited to trades.

I think those who think that the prisoners who get college paid for are getting a great deal should ask themselves whether free college is worth years of incarceration in a small cell next to other people with violent and criminal tendencies. Almost everyone would answer no.

There is a huge desire to punish in this country whether it achieves rational ends or not.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:40 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
You make complete sense, but the problem is that many people in the United States aren't really interested in lower recidivism rates or lower taxes that would result from a more progressive penal system. They are only interested in punishing, punishing, punishing criminals. It is something that has been deeply imbedded into many Americans during the last forty or fifty years. They are convinced that those in prison are getting a "great deal" and are being held in country-club prisons. All the evidence to the contrary won't convince them because they have been fed a certain narrative for years.

I suspect if someone suggested that we beat or cane prisoners as they do in Singapore that many people would support that as well. They would do this even though our own Constitution protects even the poorest and lowest individuals in this country from cruel and unusual punishment in the Eighth Amendment.

For starters, many states and the federal prison system do not pay for prisoners to go to college. In many states, the choices are limited to trades.

I think those who think that the prisoners who get college paid for are getting a great deal should ask themselves whether free college is worth years of incarceration in a small cell next to other people with violent and criminal tendencies. Almost everyone would answer no.

There is a huge desire to punish in this country whether it achieves rational ends or not.

Yes, i see the same when posters say someone should be executed on the spot or punished inhumanely. So many who consider themselves patriotic Americans are all too willing to toss the Constitution and everything our troops fought for through the decades to satisfy momentary blood lust for revenge. There seems to be only one Amendment anyone defends passionately on these boards, the others don’t seem to matter at all.

This is why the NFL flag thing got me upset. To too many people, the piece of fabric is the important thing, not what that piece of material stands for.

And I especially don’t understand why everyone seems so okay with prisoners not eating, but don’t see anything wrong with laws that allow an elected official to pocket hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars for his personal vacation home, in a stare where many law abiding taxpayers are going to bed hungry and struggling to get by. This blaise acceptance of legal theft whether in D.C. or in Alabama, one of the poorest states in the nation, is just mind blowing, especially considering how many cheered st the prospect of draining the swamp. It’s been restocked with more and bigger alligators.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-21-2018 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events