Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 02:01 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Compared to Colombia or wherever, sure. How about comparing to first-world nations? A category that, at a stretch, I guess includes Alabama.

But hey, look at that: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/u...ood-money.html - the governor actually took action.
I really loathe these "race to the bottom" comparisons. Whenever we say things like "Hey, at least we're not like [insert name of some pissant 3rd world country]!", we're lowering the bar. USA is the most developed nation in the world. We should be aiming a lot higher than Russia, N. Korea, Columbia, etc. Given enough time, we'll be saying stuff like "At least I'm smarter than an 6 year old!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 02:11 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
No it's not. How the eff is that fair? I didn't break any laws but I was a single parent who worked full time and went to school full time and I was never on any assistance of any kind, plus I paid for my college education on my own.

So the way you think, tells me I could have had the tax payers pay for my college education, by breaking the law and going to prison? You have got to be kidding me! Let me guess... you have a relative, SO, friend, etc. incarcerated?
Sheesh, if you think they have it so good and you have it so bad, then go ahead and get incarcerated and "upgrade" to the "easy life".

Also, if you think that that prisoners getting a full education is such an awful thing, you really need to pay attention to cases like this thread, an Alabama sheriff pocketing money that wasn't his, and other positions of authority that abuse their power to pocket tons of money for themselves at the expense of society.

Last but not least, "life isn't fair" is a phrase that's often thrown at the poor and unfortunate. These include cases that are both their fault and not their fault. Yet, it's never thrown back at the same people who had it made, and leeching off society.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:41 AM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Quote:
I agree that the law needs to be changed but I also think that those incarcerated in the USA have it WAY easier compared to the rest of the world if you believe what is on this series... https://www.netflix.com/title/80116922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Compared to Colombia or wherever, sure. How about comparing to first-world nations? A category that, at a stretch, I guess includes Alabama.

But hey, look at that: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/11/u...ood-money.html - the governor actually took action.
Quote:
Um ok and your point is?
Do you not understand what 'the rest of the world' means? You should, since those are your very own words.

The phrase 'the rest of the world' literally means every country but the United States. Then, as evidence, you produce a link that to a video openly admitting in its title that it is focusing only on countries with particularly miserable prison conditions. If you really think that it's 'WAY easier' serving time in the United States that in places like Canada and Sweden and New Zealand (which are all part of 'the rest of the world' - and all of which do a better job of managing their crime rates, because they focus on outcome rather than hollow political talking points), then you are woefully misinformed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
I really loathe these "race to the bottom" comparisons. Whenever we say things like "Hey, at least we're not like [insert name of some pissant 3rd world country]!", we're lowering the bar. USA is the most developed nation in the world. We should be aiming a lot higher than Russia, N. Korea, Columbia, etc. Given enough time, we'll be saying stuff like "At least I'm smarter than an 6 year old!"
Correct.

Since when are those places models we should emulate?

Old 07-25-2018, 03:30 PM

297 posts, read 166,682 times
At least now we know why Marley shot the sheriff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events