Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 07:29 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Personally? Or to go to another item in his budget?
This came up twenty years ago in my county, it was explained as: the sheriff has a separate company that is not a county own tax payer company, it's to feed the inmate. The county pay lump sum per inmate. If the company does it's cheaper, it's profit. If they can't, it cost the company. The only shareholder is the sheriff so any profit is his. It's the same as if the county paid you to cut grass and you made a profit on your labor.

The county not in the business of feeding the inmate, the sheriff is, himself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:31 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'm really trying to be nice but I just lost all patience dealing with people that just do not have the mental capacity to hold an honest discussion.

For starters, you are citing an ICE inspection PRIOR to this guy becoming the warden.

Secondly, you accept the source saying he got the 750k but at the same time out of the other side of your mouth reject the same source citing the 150k he lost upon starting the job.

Lastly, you use terms like "skimmed off" which imply theft where this is all legal.

Basically, you cannot construct a coherent logical argument. You've clearly not even read your own links and thus any further discourse with you is a waste of my time. Welcome to ignore, it takes some SERIOUS bad posting to land on that list and I've explained why you got there for all to see. Enjoy.
I’m not sure where you are going with this, even if he took out a personal loan for 150k which is unverified he still took 750k out of the program personally? Is that roughly what we know?

Old 03-16-2018, 07:51 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I’m not sure where you are going with this, even if he took out a personal loan for 150k which is unverified he still took 750k out of the program personally? Is that roughly what we know?
If the 150k is unverified then so is the 750k since we are relying upon the media for both figures.
Basically, when the 150k came up in conversation people started wanting to deny it....while accepting the 750k number which I found bizarre and disingenuous since they're referenced in the same article lmao.

I'm just trying to clear up the misrepresentations being made in this thread by people that clearly haven't read the article(s) and have no idea what they're talking about.

Clearly, I think we have agreement that this is an odd regional law and it opens up the possibility of abuse. However, everyone riding about on their high-horse making fun of the state I sit here chuckling about how if this were Chicago instead....the Sheriff would instead be just pocketing payoffs for steering the food service contract to some politician, the mob (or both lol).

IF the prisoners are receiving improper nutrition etc. then federal oversight should pick up on that and the Sheriff could then face civil rights or other charges.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:54 AM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
This came up twenty years ago in my county, it was explained as: the sheriff has a separate company that is not a county own tax payer company, it's to feed the inmate. The county pay lump sum per inmate. If the company does it's cheaper, it's profit. If they can't, it cost the company. The only shareholder is the sheriff so any profit is his. It's the same as if the county paid you to cut grass and you made a profit on your labor.

The county not in the business of feeding the inmate, the sheriff is, himself
Good description, that reminds me to some extent of how a lot of cities have turned to private companies for things like building a bridge or whatever and in the contract there is extra money for finishing early and penalties for late and the private company would eat the cost over-runs.

Go look what some construction boondoggles have cost cities like Boston etc. when there is no need to worry about cost, profit and in fact your cronies, the unions etc. are all getting an extra slice of pie courtesy of the taxpayers.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:02 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
How the hell can you feed people on 46 cents a meal? A constant diet of rice and beans?
No kidding! Some of the complaints filed by ICE detainees cite rotten food, small portions, the same food every day and meat once a month. ICE is supposed to monitor inmates diets but they aren't about to complain too much because they love it that Etowah jail is only $35 a day vs the $70-$80 a day charged at most other jails.

Here's how another Alabama sheriff skimmed $212,000 from the food budget:

'Sheriff Corn Dog' and bankrupt car lots

"In 2009, then-Sheriff Greg Bartlett of Morgan County was briefly tossed in jail after acknowledging that he had personally profited, to the tune of $212,000, from a surplus in the jail-food account. Prisoners testified about receiving meager meals. To cut corners, Bartlett used charitable donations and "special deals," as CBS put it — including once splitting a $1,000 truck full of corn dogs with a sheriff of a nearby county and then feeding the inmates corn dogs twice a day for weeks. He defended himself by noting that his profit was legal under state law, but an exasperated federal judge said the sheriff had an obligation to feed his inmates adequate food. The story made national headlines, and Bartlett agreed to no longer dip into the jail food fund"

Old 03-16-2018, 08:20 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
They can make payments like owed tax when they get out food is cheap I can get a taco for .99 cents rice is really cheap what ever is cheapest.
So if you are arrested and you can't post bail you should incur a debt for the food you are provided? And if you are released without charges or found not guilty you should still pay for it?

Not sure what your point is about 99 cent tacos but you can't live on a single taco a day for very long.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
LOL

They are assuming everyone in jail is guilty anyway, why care about the quality of food they are being served?!

Old 03-16-2018, 01:33 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I want that job.
Me too! The law is the law! (It might be a dub law, but it's legal)

If you don't like it, organize an effort to repeal the law!

Old 03-16-2018, 01:37 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
IMO, this fat POS sheriff should be locked up and fed the same sh#t he his feeding the prisoners.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:44 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
So if it is a county jail, someone who gets a DUI on Friday night, and is bailed out Saturday morning, what meal are they missing?

Yes, chalk me up as someone who isn't offended.

Also, that's what CEOs get bonused for, saving money. So it is a perk.

Big. Woo.
What if you couldn't make bail? It can take several days to get a hearing, and a police officer can pretty much lock you up for " obstruction of justice " if they are just irritated at you.

When we take someone's liberty, we also take responsibility for maintaining a certain level of care. Especially for those who haven't been convicted of anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events