Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 07:47 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellsa View Post
I wish that they'd give it away on every street corner, get every possible weak-minded fool using it, and then put some slow acting poison in it, as in a month or more to show the effect. Same with tobacco and alcohol, of course. Then we'd be rid of nearly all the stupid and irrational people. wtH is with people, that their normal state of mind is not good enough?

Huh? Those are NOT illegal so why would you even group it together with illegal marijuana?

Old 08-16-2018, 07:57 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
The idiots in charge who keep weed illegal have only themselves to blame for this. I hope any of those in power that are anti-weed and have kids have to watch their own kids OD, teach them a lesson.
While there's some debate on the pros and cons of legalization of marijuana, don't people ingesting these other nefarious substances have some responsibility for doing so? Even with legalized marijuana, there seems to be a certain percentage of the population who tries to ingest some other crazy substance (i.e. bath salts, PCP, etc.) to try to get a new kind of buzz.

And I don't wish harm on anyone (particularly someone's kids) for making a very stupid mistake, though, regardless of whether or not I would agree with the laws their parents chose to enact. That's just wrong.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-16-2018 at 08:44 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
While there's some debate on the pros and cons of legalization of marijuana, don't people ingesting these other nefarious substances have some responsibility for doing so? Even with legalized marijuana, there seems to be a certain percentage of the population who tries to ingest some other crazy substance (i.e. bath salts, PCP, etc.) to try to get a new kind of buzz.

And I don't wish harm on anyone (particularly someone's kids) for making a very stupid mistake, though, regardless of whether or not I would agree with the laws their parents chose to enact. That's just wrong.

Yep! And most know the effects of Flakka but they still choose to try it. Let's be honest here... it's not a mistake, it is a choice. It's pretty scary that some will still try it even though they know how really bad this "zombie" drug is!

I get PO'd that there is a "cure" for OD'ing. WTF? How about a cure for real health issues? I am tired of these people making stupid decisions to choose drugs over real life. Why do they get a second chance over those that actually have a real disease?

Old 08-16-2018, 10:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Naloxone isn't taking anything away from those who suffer from "real health issues."

Old 08-17-2018, 01:08 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Anyone who thinks legalizing marijuana will solve this type of problem is dreaming. Pushers will still be selling all kinds of other drugs. Marijuana is just the gateway. Even in states with "legalized" marijuana, lots of people still buy from their pusher.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:45 AM

116 posts, read 89,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Anyone who thinks legalizing marijuana will solve this type of problem is dreaming. Pushers will still be selling all kinds of other drugs. Marijuana is just the gateway. Even in states with "legalized" marijuana, lots of people still buy from their pusher.
Marijuana isn't a "gateway" drug despite all those who benefit from it being illegal saying otherwise.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
Yep! And most know the effects of Flakka but they still choose to try it. Let's be honest here... it's not a mistake, it is a choice. It's pretty scary that some will still try it even though they know how really bad this "zombie" drug is!
I understand what you're saying about it being a choice to do this (or the synthetic marijuana the OP brought up), rather than a mistake. Not to argue semantics because I agree with you, but just so I can clarify what I said a bit, a bad mistake happens when someone makes bad choices, which may come from underlying bad judgment, either from something severely stressful or traumatic going on in someone's life that's clouding their judgment to the point they're doing things they otherwise never would do or it can be that some people just aren't responsible and don't think these decisions through. That's what I meant.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:21 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post

I get PO'd that there is a "cure" for OD'ing. WTF? How about a cure for real health issues? I am tired of these people making stupid decisions to choose drugs over real life. Why do they get a second chance over those that actually have a real disease?
Addiction is a real disease.

Many people with addictions are suffering from an underlying illness and self medicating.

I’m glad they rescued the wee one. Suffering from heat in a car must be a terrible way to go. The body loses its ability to regulate temperature at some point. Now it’s time to find appropriate care for the little one.

I am utterly disgusted by the lack of empathy displayed on this thread. Withholding narcan when a fellow human being is dying? Really? That’s akin to murder.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengha View Post
Marijuana isn't a "gateway" drug despite all those who benefit from it being illegal saying otherwise.
The "gateway" drug theory has its flaws, but it can't entirely be dismissed either. As this information points out, it's inconclusive in being able to be applied across the board:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...a-gateway-drug

And certainly many, if not most people who have experimented with marijuana recreationally don't go on to use "harder" drugs. And I'm not counting people who do have some legitimate, serious illness where medical marijuana has clinical benefits and fewer side effects than prescriptions that have much more dangerous effects, such as high powered opioids with a high rate of misuse and addiction.

However, can we be confident that the percentage of casual marijuana users that go on to harder drugs (i.e. cocaine, methamphetamine, heroin, PCP, etc.) is consistently lower than people who are marijuana teetotalers, and teetotalers of other addictive substances like alcohol or tobacco?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Addiction is a real disease.

Many people with addictions are suffering from an underlying illness and self medicating.

I’m glad they rescued the wee one. Suffering from heat in a car must be a terrible way to go. The body loses its ability to regulate temperature at some point. Now it’s time to find appropriate care for the little one.

I am utterly disgusted by the lack of empathy displayed on this thread. Withholding narcan when a fellow human being is dying? Really? That’s akin to murder.

Cancer is a real disease. Addiction is self inflicted by stupid choices.

And I never said to withhold anything. I said "I get PO'd that there is a "cure" for OD'ing. WTF? How about a cure for real health issues"?

Btw, I am also glad that the baby was rescued.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events