Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 03:33 AM

8,389 posts, read 4,379,257 times

Advertisements

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/30/64353...least-4-killed

Death toll is now 7.

Apparently semi had a tire fail, crossed median and hit bus.

No doubt a horrific experience for all concerned including EMS and fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 05:09 AM

23,880 posts, read 33,609,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
https://www.npr.org/2018/08/30/64353...least-4-killed

Death toll is now 7.

Apparently semi had a tire fail, crossed median and hit bus.

No doubt a horrific experience for all concerned including EMS and fire.
My heart goes out to all involved. I'll be shocked if the trucker and bus driver are still alive.

My hub drives a car carrier (mobile parking lot lol) and checks his tires and everything else while the truck is warming up. He's always worried about blow outs, makes sure his front tires are new. I'll be shocked if they don't check the service record of the truck and driver logs even though there's not much he could have done when the tire blew.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:31 AM

167 posts, read 190,817 times
Very sad and gruesome.

I have noticed that while riding buses, whether it be kids riding school buses, to adults riding coach buses that for some reason 95%(arbitrary number I selected) of people elect not to wear a seatbelt when available. Why is that? A sudden stop at 80mph will put the same forces on your body whether you are in a passenger car or a jumbo bus.

I wonder if the people on this bus were wearing seatbelts? My assumption is they were not.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:01 AM

10,022 posts, read 8,657,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My heart goes out to all involved. I'll be shocked if the trucker and bus driver are still alive.

My hub drives a car carrier (mobile parking lot lol) and checks his tires and everything else while the truck is warming up. He's always worried about blow outs, makes sure his front tires are new. I'll be shocked if they don't check the service record of the truck and driver logs even though there's not much he could have done when the tire blew.
I don't know about the bus driver but I think the truck driver is the one who told the cops what happened.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:48 AM

23,880 posts, read 33,609,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
Very sad and gruesome.

I have noticed that while riding buses, whether it be kids riding school buses, to adults riding coach buses that for some reason 95%(arbitrary number I selected) of people elect not to wear a seatbelt when available. Why is that? A sudden stop at 80mph will put the same forces on your body whether you are in a passenger car or a jumbo bus.

I wonder if the people on this bus were wearing seatbelts? My assumption is they were not.
9 times out of 10 those bus drivers are driving crazy. I can't count the number of times I've been forced to get out of a lane because they came over without looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I don't know about the bus driver but I think the truck driver is the one who told the cops what happened.
Wow. I'm sure he's going to have a hard life trying to deal with what happened even though it was a freak accident. I wonder if he's an owner operator like my hub or company driver. They can complain all they want about the truck needing repairs and are at the mercy of the owner to listen.

My son works for Comcast, they're really good about fixing whatever he says needs done on his days off. They even have someone pick the van up. I can't say all the employees care for their van like my son. I would hope so.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:37 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,594,564 times
My condolences to the families of the victims. Rest In Peace.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:09 AM

9,538 posts, read 16,538,766 times
Isn't this the 2nd bus crash in that region recently? I wouldn't want to take a long distance bus ride. It just feels unsafe.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:30 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,135,152 times
That was a seriously nasty accident. So sorry for all involved.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:30 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,140,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
9 times out of 10 those bus drivers are driving crazy. I can't count the number of times I've been forced to get out of a lane because they came over without looking.
If you can count it that many times, its because youre probably consistently riding in their blind spots, or simply not getting out of the way when they need to get off the highway. Busses cant get ahead of you like cars can if they dont have the momentum so they have to cut you off.

Old 08-31-2018, 12:39 PM

19,830 posts, read 9,392,703 times
Absolutely horrific! My condolences to all involved and also to their friends and families.

Here's an update:

https://www.koat.com/article/medical...crash/22888026
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events