Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:27 PM

9,123 posts, read 6,338,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
This is like a road runner, wile e coyote episode. Did ACME make the dynamite?
Heh, the first thing that popped into my head upon seeing this thread was those old Warner Bros. 'Looney Tunes' cartoons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 07:30 PM

9,123 posts, read 6,338,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If you've never handled fireworks, it is fairly easy to mistake these for candles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Nope. I'd never light those after mistaking them for candles. Not even remotely possible.

I swear, it's true that our nation's citizens are being dumbed down with every passing year.
I'd never mistake those for candles either, and I have never purchased or handled fireworks.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:35 AM

15,221 posts, read 10,334,199 times
Quote:
If you've never handled fireworks, it is fairly easy to mistake these for candles...

Doesn't look like a candle to me either.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:49 AM

10,022 posts, read 8,655,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Heh, the first thing that popped into my head upon seeing this thread was those old Warner Bros. 'Looney Tunes' cartoons.
The first thing that popped into my head was that old limerick that starts out,

There once was a woman named Alice

Old 09-09-2018, 08:21 AM

7,652 posts, read 4,613,856 times
Quote:

Beat me to it. As kids we'd light all varieties of M-80s and higher. I think the first time I ran into them though someone needed to stop and explain that these weren't like those blackjack crackers we'd toss around. They were also more expensive.

If they were left in a purchased home, there's a good chance they were older and without the labeling of today (or side fuses) and possibly left because the buyers were worried about the stability anyway.

You can find all kinds of weird stuff. Mother once came to a school and found an old chemistry lab that long been neglected. Near the back was an old bottle filled with liquid that surrounded a brick of white phosphorous. Unfortunately, over the years the head space in the jar had increased to where the brick was just about to break through, making it impossible for her to move and too dangerous to attempt to add liquid. Basically it was an accidental bomb ready to go off and self combust someone decided they'd leave for someone else to figure out.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:09 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,173,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Beat me to it. As kids we'd light all varieties of M-80s and higher. I think the first time I ran into them though someone needed to stop and explain that these weren't like those blackjack crackers we'd toss around. They were also more expensive.

If they were left in a purchased home, there's a good chance they were older and without the labeling of today (or side fuses) and possibly left because the buyers were worried about the stability anyway.

You can find all kinds of weird stuff. Mother once came to a school and found an old chemistry lab that long been neglected. Near the back was an old bottle filled with liquid that surrounded a brick of white phosphorous. Unfortunately, over the years the head space in the jar had increased to where the brick was just about to break through, making it impossible for her to move and too dangerous to attempt to add liquid. Basically it was an accidental bomb ready to go off and self combust someone decided they'd leave for someone else to figure out.
Unfortunately, since everyone on CD is an "expert" at something, when the experts chime in, it is easy to get the impression that "everyone knows" or "nobody would." Combine this with the habit of those who don't know to keep silent and we get a thread where "nobody would mistake a firework for a candle."

My statement to most people is just... don't assume and if you don't know what something is -- leave it alone; or report it.

It's a tragedy for this poor woman was that she (a) didn't know and (b) there was no expert nearby.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 09-09-2018 at 09:23 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 10:59 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,661,885 times
I've never handled fireworks or dynamite. Do they have a paper-like coating on the outside, or what?
It seems a real stick of dynamite would blow up the whole house!

Old 09-09-2018, 11:04 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,774,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Since fireworks are illegal...
1) Fireworks are not illegal in CT. We bought them every year.

2) Fireworks are legal in the majority of the US, and even in areas where they are illegal, they're usually common (from the next state over, etc.)

I'm with those who can't imagine how a powerful, ugly firework was mistaken for a "candle." By anyone with normal intelligence.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:02 PM

2,309 posts, read 903,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Nope. I'd never light those after mistaking them for candles. Not even remotely possible.

I swear, it's true that our nation's citizens are being dumbed down with every passing year.
I think he was being sarcastic. At least I hope so.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:15 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
1) Fireworks are not illegal in CT. We bought them every year.

2) Fireworks are legal in the majority of the US, and even in areas where they are illegal, they're usually common (from the next state over, etc.)

I'm with those who can't imagine how a powerful, ugly firework was mistaken for a "candle." By anyone with normal intelligence.

1)https://www.ct.gov/despp/lib/despp/p...sfireworks.pdf

All fireworks are illegal in the State of Connecticut,
with the exception of sparklers and fountains.

2)NYS Division of Homeland Security & Emergency Services - OFPC New York state.

All other types of consumer fireworks, including firecrackers, bottle rockets, roman candles, spinners and aerial devices, remain illegal statewide.

NY state would be the closest state to Bridgeport CT which is where the person lived. If you read 1 and 2 you will see that you are wrong about fireworks being legal in CT and the next state over.

I can't imagine either how someone could think a firework was a candle. I also can't imagine why they didn't have a flashlight or some candles of their own. But I've never seen dynamite either--I have only seen it in pictures. I think I may have seen little firecrackers when I was a kid, that's all. We girls usually didn't play with firecrackers as much as boys do.

Since fireworks are illegal and this woman probably had never seen one before, what is she supposed to think? It was illegal for the previous owner to have left them in the basement and no one would expect to find them there. Not that I'm taking her side 100% but it doesn't necessarily mean she's a stupid idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events