Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:52 PM

116 posts, read 89,351 times

Advertisements

Woman who made false rape claims against two football players 'rolls her eyes' during court hearing | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
A former Connecticut college student who claimed she was raped by two men during an off-campus party in 2016 and then later admitted to lying appeared to roll her eyes in court as one of the victims spoke about how the allegations ruined his life.

Nikki Yovino, 20, of South Setauket, New York, was sentenced Thursday in Bridgeport Superior Court to one year in jail after pleading guilty in June to misdemeanor charges of falsely reporting an incident and interfering with police.
And people say vagina privilege doesn't exist....

Old 08-24-2018, 02:35 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,732,691 times
The accused is lucky that a rush to judgement didn't happen and he wasn't railroaded by the court system. Due process doesn't always work as it should.

As for the accuser and her behavior, I'm not shocked. Women today - especially younger women - are given way too much wiggle room with their behavior. They can act like complete trash and if anyone calls it out they're shut down for oppressing someone elses rights. The fact that she only got one year says it all.

It truly is a scary time to be a young man in today's society.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:50 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,443,411 times
I year? 5 would sound better.

I hope there's a civil suit in the works.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:53 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
I'd sue both her and the university.

Yes, sexual assault is a horrible crime. Yes, it should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

But there is often a "Guilty until proven guilty" mentality surrounding such charges, in an attempt to show compassion for the victim. All you have to do is look at the Duke lacrosse team that was tried and convicted in the press and punished by the university on what turned out to be a wholly fabricated story. There was a complete rush to judgment, a mistake that was repeated by the university in this situation.

The same is true of teachers who are accused of having sex with students. In my city, there is an assistant principal who lost her job and professional standing because a kid claimed he had sex with her. Yet, investigators found he was totally lying, a fact to which he later admitted. But it was too late for her. Her career was destroyed, and she was never able to find a job in her profession again despite being completely innocent.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:09 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Just imagine how many lives have been ruined and never known because of false rape accusations.

In NJ, the maximum penalty for rape carries a max of 10 years for 2nd degree and 20 years for 1st degree.

She gets 1 year? That's still a travesty and injustice.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:18 PM

17,584 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Some state either started or talked about a law making it so that the penalties for filing a false report were commiserate with the penalties for the crime they were accusing someone of.

So, you file a false report for rape, you face sentencing minimums and maximums that the wrongly accused would have faced.

Sounds like a pretty dang good idea to me.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:20 PM

3,550 posts, read 1,549,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Some state either started or talked about a law making it so that the penalties for filing a false report were commiserate with the penalties for the crime they were accusing someone of.

So, you file a false report for rape, you face sentencing minimums and maximums that the wrongly accused would have faced.

Sounds like a pretty dang good idea to me.
Agreed, then maybe these false accusations would stop.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:33 PM

116 posts, read 89,351 times
What I don't get is why it's just a misdemeanor. This **** should be a felony. But god forbid women are forced to take responsibility for ****. Then again, when we live in a society where women can do the worst things and people go out of their way to defend them it's always excuses like postpartum depression or some ****. Whereas it doesn't matter what the circumstances were to make a man say kill his kids he just should be lynched regardless.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:34 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Woman gets one year in jail for false rape accusation.

She should get the same sentence the man would have received if he had been convicted.

Old 08-24-2018, 03:52 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Woman gets one year in jail for false rape accusation.

She should get the same sentence the man would have received if he had been convicted.
This seems logical to me and also, shouldn't this be a sex offense, subject to the sex crime registry (not sure what that's actually called)? She didn't rape anyone but if verbal harassment is still sexual harassment...or am I off base here?

I am not calling for blood, I just think she did after all inflict some serious damage. One year seems awfully light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events