Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 03:32 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Huh? What does popularity have to do with it? Cults still exist, whether there are "only" 1,000 or 100,000. And more are created all the time.
Poster is stating cults are the result of lack of religion in today's times. Cults were much more prevalent 50 years ago, regular suburban kids running off and joining The moonies, krishnas (or whatever they were called), Jim Jones, Waco, Manson, and good old witchcraft. It is not a regular occurance now like it was then.

The point is, try again, it's not due to lack of religion because religion was practiced by more families back then but many more lost their kids to cults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 05:15 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I will probably get laughed at and called a hopelessly outdated religious fanatic when I say this, but stories such as this are evidence to me that demonic possession is a real thing, not just something that happened in The Exorcist. How else would 11-year-old children not only come up with such a plan, but set themselves up to enact it?

Uhh, they were watching horror movies all weekend. No demonic possession needed.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:42 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
I watched horror movies around that age. So did my sons. None of us ever wanted to chop kids up and drink their blood.

There is something amiss (understatement!) when someone of any age over 5, maybe, does not understand the difference between make-believe and real life. Eleven-year-olds should be well aware of what death is and that you do not injure or try to harm anyone else.

It always disturbs me more when there are multiple people involved in these things. Is one girl a sociopath and pressured her friend into it and she went along to conform? Or did two disturbed young people find each other somehow in the same school?
Shudder...

Old 10-25-2018, 05:46 PM

78,339 posts, read 60,527,398 times
All the people crying about how this didn't happen, "back in the day" and other assorted garbage are ignorant to history and allergic to google apparently.

I could post factual stuff from the reformation that would get me banned here for it's graphic cruelty, sorry you're not in tune.

Then again we could fast forward to the 1800's with slavery.

Or we could go the the 1900's...and well....pick up a book folks.

So many people that don't read or learn from history *shocked* by things. sigh.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:50 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
All the people crying about how this didn't happen, "back in the day" and other assorted garbage are ignorant to history and allergic to google apparently..
A lot of old fogies think that people "back in their day" never did anything wrong.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:13 PM

497 posts, read 484,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
They aren't possessed by demons. They are sociopaths.

There are no such things as demons.

I may not be able to prove that demons exist, but you cannot prove they do not. Just because someone believes something doesn't exist doesn't make it so. I can respect your opinion, but it's not common for 12-year-old kids to be sociopaths. Especially two that know each other. Not saying it isn't possible, rather quite unlikely.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:34 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
I may not be able to prove that demons exist, but you cannot prove they do not. Just because someone believes something doesn't exist doesn't make it so. I can respect your opinion, but it's not common for 12-year-old kids to be sociopaths. Especially two that know each other. Not saying it isn't possible, rather quite unlikely.
At what age does someone become a sociopath?

Old 10-25-2018, 06:43 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,552,729 times
Well now after the "slender man killings" murders involving middle school aged children doesn’t shock me anymore.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:26 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullArmor View Post
If you became very ill and went to a doctor, would you want him to perform an exorcism on you to try and heal you? Or do some type of voo doo? You believe in this stuff, is that what you want? Or perhaps you should just see a faith healer instead. Maybe they could make your disease go away, or make you grow back a new arm or leg. Or something like that.

12 year olds most certainly can be sociopaths, they may seek out other kids just like them to be friends with.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:33 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,341,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
All the people crying about how this didn't happen, "back in the day" and other assorted garbage are ignorant to history and allergic to google apparently.

I could post factual stuff from the reformation that would get me banned here for it's graphic cruelty, sorry you're not in tune.

Then again we could fast forward to the 1800's with slavery.

Or we could go the the 1900's...and well....pick up a book folks.

So many people that don't read or learn from history *shocked* by things. sigh.

Folks are stupid and prefer to blame things like demons. Easy. Clean. Reinforces their ridiculous religious beliefs as they watch some guys arm or leg grow on stage in church performance.

History doesn't matter. Facts don't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events