Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 06:31 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,026 times

Advertisements

Terrifying to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 08:29 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times
After watching the video the bus drivers arrest is warranted. Any fool with half a brain would know better than to attempt to drive into a flooded, running water roadway.

Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times
He really needs to pile up single charges for every other person he endangered.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:43 PM

17,155 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Well sure they would. Like as Sassy pointed out pages ago, if the driver was unfamiliar with the roadway especially when it floods. Imagine if they arrested all those drivers in FL for ignoring a barricade. Of course, from the photos posted, they would need a barricade literally everywhere, lol.

The driver may have a depth perception issue or something - you never know. I would have personally felt between a rock and a hard place. I think I might be able to make it (which I am wrong), it is a moving violation for me to back a school bus up an incline and around a curve, and maybe if I floor it I'll make it across.

As for being scared, my heart would of been in my throat all the way down the creek and off into the woods. I know I would have been praying to all my favorite higher powers and dead relatives to get us out of this mess alive.

If they can prove the driver was drunk or on drugs, I would be good with his arrest. Ignoring a barricade you can hardly see? I'm not good with that.
Exactly. If this driver is from, say, Florida, seeing something like this would not stop him from driving through it. Virtually ALL roads here look like this at some point or another. The barriers were barely even visible.

If anything, the county/city needs to do something about that road. To think, there are houses right off of it? The bigger issue here, IMO, is the actual road.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:12 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Wow I came in prepared to defend the bus driver but after watching the video that was just an inexcusable decision to cross that flooded road.
Same here. They can ford water, but nothing that damn deep, if it were three feet, maybe four, which he probably thought it was, sure, it was still wrong but I don't think it warrants an arrest.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:24 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It's not just about how deep it was and whether the vehicle would have been submerged. The power of the water (even at a more shallow depth) could have washed that bus down the river.
A 17,000lb International Saf-T-Liner? There are jeeps that have crossed similar. It was a road, not a river. Though, if he purposely went around some sort of barricade, he's stupid. But I suspect that in that area sometimes flood areas are unavoidable, it's often like that here.

Old 11-03-2018, 07:42 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
A 17,000lb International Saf-T-Liner? There are jeeps that have crossed similar. It was a road, not a river. Though, if he purposely went around some sort of barricade, he's stupid. But I suspect that in that area sometimes flood areas are unavoidable, it's often like that here.
Did you watch the video in the link? The force of the water did indeed carry the bus into the "river-like water" (to use language from the link)

Old 11-03-2018, 07:50 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Exactly. If this driver is from, say, Florida, seeing something like this would not stop him from driving through it. Virtually ALL roads here look like this at some point or another. The barriers were barely even visible.

If anything, the county/city needs to do something about that road. To think, there are houses right off of it? The bigger issue here, IMO, is the actual road.
In this case, the reason you can't see the barricades is because they're nearly underwater, but still visible.

It had been raining here for days, and everyone had heard, ad nauseum, "turn around, don't drown".

There were many, many closed "low water crossings". We are at the foothills of the Texas Hill Country, and where you've got hills, you've got valleys. And in flooding condition situations, you've got roads closed to flooding. I have to change my path out of my neighborhood frequently during rains, because the main road is closed for flooding.

For the county to put all roads above the flood zone would break the bank. So we do the next best thing, which is put safety warning barricades up, and by and large people have the brains not to drive through them.

Old 11-04-2018, 09:06 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,308,612 times
interesting and shocking to find this video online.
https://youtu.be/BP59hS4dono
Surprisingly this school bus full of kids actually made it all the way across.
These type of videos only had probably encouraged copycats to follow such dangerous example to see if he could get lucky, and post his video of success online(after he quits his job of course) and have a story to tell.

Old 11-04-2018, 10:40 AM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
interesting and shocking to find this video online.
https://youtu.be/BP59hS4dono
Surprisingly this school bus full of kids actually made it all the way across.
These type of videos only had probably encouraged copycats to follow such dangerous example to see if he could get lucky, and post his video of success online(after he quits his job of course) and have a story to tell.
That is not a school bus. It's a public transit bus in Nicaragua. That was during a flood eight years ago, and the buses were the only way to get through the flood. At least one passenger on that bus had to get to a hospital. Most other people were waiting there for the water to go down. Also the water in that video was not even over the wheels on the bus. That is a bit different then this guy taking a kid on a joy ride into five feet of water for no good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events