Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,862,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Kids wear holes in clothing really fast, especially if they're active. And clothing today is poorer quality than clothing made 30 years ago. Cheap, mass produced clothing can rip really fast.

Yes. I've tried mending/patching my daughter's jeans, she always seem to get those "emerging holes" at the knees and they'd still get too thinned and ripped. It's pointless to even try fixing these pants up today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 10:45 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I'm waffling on this. My gut reaction is that the school took the dress code too far. A part of me thinks this mom also escalated the deal. Either way, the kid gets hurt.

The schools my kids have attended have programs in place where people/organizations donate clothes or money for people who need it. It's discrete. This child could have gotten new clothes without public embarrassment.
That's what the school should do it they're going to have that strict a dress code. If this woman really can't afford to keep the kid in clothing without holes, there should be access to clothes for free. But I still find it kind of hard to believe that she can't buy a few outfits in the thrift store and set aside a few items that are strictly to be for school.

The rest of the clothes would be for play and would get torn. It's a life lesson to take care of your clothing, come home from school and change into play clothes. Wait til he's grown up and needs to go on an interview--he'll think it's fine to show up in torn clothes. This is one of those teachable moments.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's what the school should do it they're going to have that strict a dress code. If this woman really can't afford to keep the kid in clothing without holes, there should be access to clothes for free. But I still find it kind of hard to believe that she can't buy a few outfits in the thrift store and set aside a few items that are strictly to be for school.

The rest of the clothes would be for play and would get torn. It's a life lesson to take care of your clothing, come home from school and change into play clothes. Wait til he's grown up and needs to go on an interview--he'll think it's fine to show up in torn clothes. This is one of those teachable moments.
My parents would have had a fit if we'd come home from school and changed into play clothes. That's twice the laundry, and although we weren't poor, we also weren't wasteful, and my sister and I rode horses and otherwise spent as much time outdoors as possible after school rather than sitting around with our faces stuck in a screen the way today's kids are expected to do. We also had something called recess at school that involved significant physical activity, and we participated in that rather than standing around because we didn't want to wear out our clothing. I guess they don't have that anymore.

An "emerging hole" in a pair of jeans shouldn't be a big deal at this kid's age and doesn't necessarily mean he'll think it's okay to show up for job interviews dressed this way.

Maybe this mother (and father) could be doing better, but I'm not sure that thrift store clothing is the answer here. As a couple of other posters have mentioned, quality standards have slipped over the years, and by the time something hits the thrift store, it may be on the verge of developing emerging holes and other atrocities.

All this fuss over ... nothing, really.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 11-01-2018 at 11:49 PM..

Old 11-01-2018, 11:29 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep in mind that dress codes are adopted by the local school board, not the school. Staff has no option other to enforce them.
Oh yes they do!

Old 11-02-2018, 12:43 AM

45,312 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Oh yes they do!
Oh no they don't.

I've related this story before. Vice Principal came into the room one morning and walked a round the room doing a clothing check (we had uniforms. At the beginning it included only black or white socks without patterns. Think about that). He did his thing and left. I got a Compliance form the next period. A girl had a sweater tied around her waist that didn't comply. It was the right color (black. Maroon was also allowed) but didn't have the school logo. Which you could only see if you stood behind her and moved the sweater to look.

Another time the Principal brought a girl back to my room because of her shoes. Wanted to know why I didn't notice they weren't compliant. To the girl's credit she then said she hadn't worn them in class but had changed when she left my room.

So tell me again about "options".

Old 11-02-2018, 02:43 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,267 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that dress codes are adopted by the local school board, not the school. Staff has no option other to enforce them.
Quote:
Oh no they don't.

I've related this story before. Vice Principal came into the room one morning and walked a round the room doing a clothing check (we had uniforms. At the beginning it included only black or white socks without patterns. Think about that). He did his thing and left. I got a Compliance form the next period. A girl had a sweater tied around her waist that didn't comply. It was the right color (black. Maroon was also allowed) but didn't have the school logo. Which you could only see if you stood behind her and moved the sweater to look.

Another time the Principal brought a girl back to my room because of her shoes. Wanted to know why I didn't notice they weren't compliant. To the girl's credit she then said she hadn't worn them in class but had changed when she left my room.

So tell me again about "options".

Sounds like a couple of people never learned to tell their supervisors "No".

Granted, there is also the problem of a fat slob ma raising a fat slob kid...

Old 11-02-2018, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
Sounds like a couple of people never learned to tell their supervisors "No".

Granted, there is also the problem of a fat slob ma raising a fat slob kid...
Try telling your supervisor "No" today. Come back and tell us how it goes.

Some of you don't know where these various dress codes come from. Look in the mirror and you'll see who.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:07 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,267 times
Quote:
Try telling your supervisor "No" today. Come back and tell us how it goes.

Some of you don't know where these various dress codes come from. Look in the mirror and you'll see who.
I was an E5 in the Army, told E7s and ocassionaly O3s, "I'm not doing that", "I'm not having my guys do that", or "That doesn't work". I always had a squad, and occasionally a platoon. Never got counseled, or made to push, once! ...had to give, and get, a few FM5-5 reviews though...

After I got out, had my CDL, supervisor tried to schedule me for a driving shift immediately following a double-office shift. I told him "No" too (with the appropriate explanation of course).

Saying "No" to a supervisor doesn't immediately mean "F--k you! No s--t! All balls!" If you are working fof a supervisor that takes any question as such, you need a different supervisor.

...but, that isn't the major point of this thread. Likely this kid was prob'ly told a bunch of times about his crummy appearance and, the school just had enough. I believe the "no choice" comes from the fact that, again only speculation, the school prob'ly tried leniency first. It could also be a school where the staff have an "us vs. them" attitude towards kids and parents, I have encountered this with appaling regularity...

Old 11-02-2018, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageX View Post
I was an E5 in the Army, told E7s and ocassionaly O3s, "I'm not doing that", "I'm not having my guys do that", or "That doesn't work". I always had a squad, and occasionally a platoon. Never got counseled, or made to push, once! ...had to give, and get, a few FM5-5 reviews though...

After I got out, had my CDL, supervisor tried to schedule me for a driving shift immediately following a double-office shift. I told him "No" too (with the appropriate explanation of course).

Saying "No" to a supervisor doesn't immediately mean "F--k you! No s--t! All balls!" If you are working fof a supervisor that takes any question as such, you need a different supervisor.

...but, that isn't the major point of this thread. Likely this kid was prob'ly told a bunch of times about his crummy appearance and, the school just had enough. I believe the "no choice" comes from the fact that, again only speculation, the school prob'ly tried leniency first. It could also be a school where the staff have an "us vs. them" attitude towards kids and parents, I have encountered this with appaling regularity...
OK, so you and I are more or less on the same page. Yes, saying "No" for something that won't work is one thing. Saying "No" for an approved policy is another.

Like you, I imagine this wasn't the first time at the rodeo for the kid and he had to finally be dealt with or the other kids would pick up on it.

Old 11-02-2018, 04:46 AM

27,127 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/boy-...182759396.html

Laurens Middle School was performing a dress-code inspection on Monday when a teacher took 11-year-old Ethan Orr to the principal’s office for what the school called an “emerging hole” in his jeans — meaning a frayed spot that would soon become an actual hole, according to WCNC in South Carolina.

I always had to wear a school uniform, I wore a sit and tie throughout my schooling which was from 4 years old which is when I first put on a tie.

I wore a white shirt, school tie, school jumper, school black trousers and black shoes, with a blazer.

We have uniforms in our schools for three main reasons.

1. So School doesn't become a fahion parade whereby the wealthier children tuirn up in the best clothes.

2. To make sure that the uniform is affordable.

3. To instil dicipline and to make it easier for the authorities such as the Police and Education Welfare Offcers to identify those who should be in school but are truanting.

I can't imagine anyone turning up at school in Jeans, indeed every state and private school I now of in the UK has a strict uniform policy.

Where I live those Post 16 to 18 have to wear a two or three piece suit with tie. So lots of teens walking around in suits, which is fair enough as poorer families can claim for the cost of uniform or receive discounts.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-02-2018 at 04:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events