Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 01:33 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,668,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Not really. If you're near a pack of smokes, look at the bottom of it. You see that little stamp label? That's a tax stamp. One company provides all 50 states with those little stamps. Over a decade ago they were doing it with fewer than 50 employees. Forecasting was easy. Take last year's number and decrease it about 3% a year. Now, that isn't necessarily that there were 3% fewer smokers, that was 3% fewer packs being sold.
I am completely lost as to your point - the sole producer of tax stamps has downsized, therefore tobacco sales have, too? (I guess automation, streamlining, and standardizing have nothing to do with the drop in their tedious workload?)

As for per-pack sales dropping, I would have bet, from fuzzy data, that vaping had had a much larger impact on the burning-weed market. 3%, even in an addicted market, is within statistical variation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Here's my concern though.... are we going to ban every product that adults enjoy intended for adults just because teenagers also picked it up?
You persist in the notion that teen vaping is some kind of minor aberration, and a wholly unintended one by the makers. Both points are complete nonsense.

ALL cigarette marketing is at teens and younger, in the end, barring some small fraction for premium and specialty brands like Nat Sherman, and probably most cigars. Absolutely no significant number of users begin after about 18-20, and haven't for decades, if ever. To try to claim that the makers are focused on, and address only, an existing market that would not have existed had those smokers simply held out a few more years, is such industry-serving nonsense that you must live in a house free of mirrors.

Anyone who can argue that the vape industry has not aimed their marketing - especially the POS and in-store facet - squarely at a very young crowd is either stupid beyond words or disingenuous beyond redemption. It's not just bright colors, 20yo spokespeople and candy flavors... it's an extension of where the tobacco industry has been since (at least) WWII. You might as well argue that automakers haven't meant people to put that nasty old gasoline in any of their products since 1970.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:59 PM

15,024 posts, read 9,990,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You persist in the notion that teen vaping is some kind of minor aberration, and a wholly unintended one by the makers. Both points are complete nonsense.

ALL cigarette marketing is at teens and younger, in the end, barring some small fraction for premium and specialty brands like Nat Sherman, and probably most cigars. Absolutely no significant number of users begin after about 18-20, and haven't for decades, if ever. To try to claim that the makers are focused on, and address only, an existing market that would not have existed had those smokers simply held out a few more years, is such industry-serving nonsense that you must live in a house free of mirrors.

Anyone who can argue that the vape industry has not aimed their marketing - especially the POS and in-store facet - squarely at a very young crowd is either stupid beyond words or disingenuous beyond redemption. It's not just bright colors, 20yo spokespeople and candy flavors... it's an extension of where the tobacco industry has been since (at least) WWII. You might as well argue that automakers haven't meant people to put that nasty old gasoline in any of their products since 1970.
I don't necessarily agree....

By your sentiment, an adult smoking legally in a smoking area is also marketing towards teenagers within viewing distance.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,735,989 times
Juul did end sales of the fruity flavors to under 21 year olds, no idea about those that are compatible with Juul vape like say Eon Smoke cartridges which too marketed to teens. I mean not only were store displays marketed to teens, the social media was too as stated many times. They recently shifted gears and I applaud them for what they decided to do, the question is, is it too late and how soon will another head to the tobacco hydra rear its ugly head to take its place.

Old 11-26-2018, 05:04 PM

Quote:
By your sentiment, an adult smoking legally in a smoking area is also marketing towards teenagers within viewing distance.
Of course it is. One of the marketing goals of almost irreplaceable value is having people using your product in public view - whether it's driving by in a shiny new 740i, wearing this week's Ray-Ban style or Dr. Dre headphones or ostentatiously using their new rose-gold iPhone X.

Right now, ostentatious vaping seems to be at something of a peak. I rare see people smoke, even here where I suspect the rate is higher than most places; just over this weekend I saw at least three people get out of their cars, take a theatrical hit on their vape pen as if they needed a breath of oxygen for a deep dive into the vegetable section, and stride away into the store.

Did you mean to suggest something else? Because people are behaving that way because of how vaping has been marketed; otherwise they'd be skulking a little shame-facedly over in the designated smoking area with the other nicotaddicts. (I really don't remember the last time I saw someone proudly smoking, at least in public. It's been many years.)

And, of course, there's no shortage here of those who have modded their vaperizors so that they create steam-engine-sized white clouds with them. Not a one who appears to be over 20-22.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:16 PM

15,024 posts, read 9,990,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Of course it is.
So lock up your kids inside...

Parents point the finger at everything/everyone but themselves....

I saw so many people in early college years go binge drinking and trouble as a result. I had my first drink (I'm guessing because I don't remember exactly), 11-13. The rule was once I had a drink, I couldn't leave the home... it was a normal part of life. From then on, it was lesson after lesson of enjoying with moderation. End result was responsibility....

For me in college, alcohol was no big deal.... I thought the excitement was stupid.

Shelter your kids in such a manner is avoiding teaching the valuable lessons..... and thus your primary role as a parents. Is it for their own good or so that over protective parents feel good about themselves.?

The last thing this country needs is nanny state / morality police....

Old 11-26-2018, 11:30 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,431,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Juul did end sales of the fruity flavors to under 21 year olds, no idea about those that are compatible with Juul vape like say Eon Smoke cartridges which too marketed to teens. I mean not only were store displays marketed to teens, the social media was too as stated many times. They recently shifted gears and I applaud them for what they decided to do, the question is, is it too late and how soon will another head to the tobacco hydra rear its ugly head to take its place.
Not in KY, IN or OH. Maybe they only did in some states or cities?

We stock 9 flavors of Juul, including the fruit, mint, and mango, we are not required to ID for these as of yet.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
So lock up your kids inside...
Done feeding.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,735,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not in KY, IN or OH. Maybe they only did in some states or cities?

We stock 9 flavors of Juul, including the fruit, mint, and mango, we are not required to ID for these as of yet.
I guess they didn't ask to buy back stock yet. As for the age restrictions if they aren't there yet, they will be or you won't be getting Juul product in those areas.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:38 AM

And the Marlboro Man is now looking into brand-name vaping with Juul...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events