Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 03:27 PM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I don't understand why everyone is so hyped up about this. What is so bad about vaping? Some of the people who vape would be smoking cigarettes otherwise. And don't a lot people who quit smoking only did so because they could vape?

Is vaping more harmful than drinking soda? I've never heard of a harm associated with it.
I quit smoking a year ago and turned to vapes. It's not a cigarette but it satisfies the need and I could not have quit without it. But I fully understand you have to be kind of dumb to believe that inhaling red hot chemicals is safe. It's so new they do not know how all the dangers but it's pretty clear to me they are dangerous. So yes it is much different than drinking a Coke. And that's why I am sad when I see so many young people doing this. I had little choice, they do.

With that said I think it's insane that the FDA is considering banning menthol cigs. This is American, adults should be allowed to smoke if they chose. And as a former menthol smoker I can tell you switching to non menthol was not an option, it tasted like smoking wood chips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 03:36 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I quit smoking a year ago and turned to vapes.
There's an old joke, which MAD magazine riffed on a few times, about someone being told to "stay away from cigarettes!"... so they started using a holder.

I'm not sure it's all that different to say "I stopped smoking... now I just inhale a processed form of cigarette smoke from an industrially-produced electronic system."

Quote:
It's not a cigarette but it satisfies the need and I could not have quit without it.
But you're still a nicotine addict, and if vapies go away for any reason it will be another pack of Kools, right?

Quote:
With that said I think it's insane that the FDA is considering banning menthol cigs. This is American, adults should be allowed to smoke if they chose. And as a former menthol smoker I can tell you switching to non menthol was not an option, it tasted like smoking wood chips.
So you only got started in smoking because it tasted minty-fresh? Does that point alone make the case for not selling fruity, sweet, tasty "smoking" experiences that only make the juvenile appeal greater? (A significant argument against menthol is that, for whatever reason, it's 35% of the African-American market... which makes it deserve special attention.)

As for "Americans should be allowed to smoke, gosh darn it!" - sure. Prohibition would be a massive failure as always. But eliminating crop and industry subsidies and selling tobacco only under the stricter controls used for alcohol and weed would go a long way toward reducing the number of slow suicides, especially if it becomes as impossible for the underage to buy as legal recreational weed. (Here in Colorado, you have to show proof of age to even enter a dispensary.)

Old 11-16-2018, 06:50 PM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Instead of banning a product that people want, how about go after the stores that are ILLEGALLY selling these products to minors????

Old 11-16-2018, 07:02 PM

834 posts, read 743,848 times
My husband has a friend who didn't realize that they had an addictive drug inside of them. I'm sure the packaging has the word nicotine somewhere, but the nearly 30 year old thought he was literally just breathing in yummy flavors. :/

They went to a concert and evidently the guy spent 6 hours sucking on it. My husband had to break it to him.

Not the sharpest crayon regardless, but I wonder how many thousands are so easily duped.

My mom won't even use them as a replacement as she's afraid of them blowing up or popcorn lung, which she saw on the news. Yet she is still smoking 2 packs a day through COPD. Like that's not scary or anything, mom.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:16 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdefg567 View Post
Not the sharpest crayon regardless, but I wonder how many thousands are so easily duped.
You misspelled 'millions' and forgot 'hundred' but maybe that's because you're talking about one predatory, deceptively-marketed product and I tend to think of whole shopping malls full of them.

It's Black Box syndrome, though. Because strenuous legal battles fought at great expense by taxpayer-funded agencies got a black warning box on the package, there is next to no regulation of the rest of the packaging and marketing. Which is echoed many times over on packaged food products; because there's a nutrition panel somewhere, the label can say damned near anything the seller wants it to.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:17 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
A lot of the tobacco is exported to asia and the middle east areas. Smoking is still very common in other countries. Here in the US smoking has dropped dramatically with each generation. The current college age generation has a low smoking rate. Go to a college campus and you will see what I mean. It is very unusual to see a 20 to 23 year old smoking a cigarette. The majority of cigarette smokers are 40 and above. On the other hand, the younger people are walking around sucking on vapes everywhere. It is a shame we have to pass laws to stop them from vaping in public spaces and movie theaters and all of that. You would think someone would know better but if it isn't illegal, they will do it anyway until we get laws passed.

The companies making the vaping flavors and machines are obviously targeting teenagers. That is their future market and they learned from the history of tobacco companies that you want to hook them when they are young so you have customers for life. They are building their market right now and will continue until laws are passed and the lawsuits start.
The ultimate goal is to get them on regular cigarettes eventually...I asked an RJ Reynolds and Altria rep today at work.

Our Altria rep really knows her stuff when it comes to cigarette marketing, she went into some detail on how they advertise to kids, 'without' advertising to kids, they have it down to a science.

Tobacco companies are like any other business, they have to have plans in place to lure customers in and get them hooked, Ecigs, vaping, is one of those plans. LOTS of people put food on the table thanks to the big tobacco companies.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:18 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,446,284 times
*yawn*...sorta tired of the e-cig vendetta when we are now profiteering off of MJ ...which science shows leads to other "monitored" drugs becoming "consumer" desired...Cocaine and the likes will be next to be legalized for "profit . Yet by golly lets monitor the e cigs. SMH.

Old 11-17-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There's an old joke, which MAD magazine riffed on a few times, about someone being told to "stay away from cigarettes!"... so they started using a holder.

I'm not sure it's all that different to say "I stopped smoking... now I just inhale a processed form of cigarette smoke from an industrially-produced electronic system."

But you're still a nicotine addict, and if vapies go away for any reason it will be another pack of Kools, right?

So you only got started in smoking because it tasted minty-fresh? Does that point alone make the case for not selling fruity, sweet, tasty "smoking" experiences that only make the juvenile appeal greater? (A significant argument against menthol is that, for whatever reason, it's 35% of the African-American market... which makes it deserve special attention.)

As for "Americans should be allowed to smoke, gosh darn it!" - sure. Prohibition would be a massive failure as always. But eliminating crop and industry subsidies and selling tobacco only under the stricter controls used for alcohol and weed would go a long way toward reducing the number of slow suicides, especially if it becomes as impossible for the underage to buy as legal recreational weed. (Here in Colorado, you have to show proof of age to even enter a dispensary.)
Nicotine is not what gives you cancer, it's what causes the addiction. What is in a cigarette that causes cancer is not in a vape, again they are so new they do not know if they cause cancer the way a cig does. So no your 2nd paragraph is not true. They are similar but have very real differences. But I never brag that I'm a former smoker because I didn't quit, I simply switched to something that is possibly less dangerous.

But that's as far as I'll go in defending vapes, my post made it pretty clear that I do not consider them safe and I am very upset so many young people are doing them. And for that reason I'm fine if they ban bubble gum flavored vapes.

Smokers already pay a ridiculous amount of money in taxes. They can jack a pack up from $2 to $8 with taxes and folks will still buy them. As I said this is America and damned right adults should be allowed to purchase and consume cigs if they choose. By making them more expensive you will not stop people from smoking, you will simply punish them more and that is unfair.

Now if you want to regulate them as they do alcohol to keep them from minors I agree with you although I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. There are age laws already in place, they still card kids who are trying to buy them just as the do at the weed stores.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 11-17-2018 at 02:48 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 07:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Nicotine is not what gives you cancer, it's what causes the addiction. What is in a cigarette that causes cancer is not in a vape, again they are so new they do not know if they cause cancer the way a cig does. So no your 2nd paragraph is not true. They are similar but have very real differences. But I never brag that I'm a former smoker because I didn't quit, I simply switched to something that is possibly less dangerous.

But that's as far as I'll go in defending vapes, my post made it pretty clear that I do not consider them safe and I am very upset so many young people are doing them. And for that reason I'm fine if they ban bubble gum flavored vapes.

Smokers already pay a ridiculous amount of money in taxes. They can jack a pack up from $2 to $8 with taxes and folks will still buy them. As I said this is America and damned right adults should be allowed to purchase and consume cigs if they choose. By making them more expensive you will not stop people from smoking, you will simply punish them more and that is unfair.

Now if you want to regulate them as they do alcohol to keep them from minors I agree with you although I'm not sure I understand your suggestion. There are age laws already in place, they still card kids who are trying to buy them just as the do at the weed stores.
Yes, but its the same younger people that are the targeted demographic, so its sort of a catch 22...restrictions in place supposedly to prevent minors from buying the stuff, but at the same time, they are the intended customer, the industry targets and hopes to attract to buy their products.

Im actually surprised the tobacco companies allowed age restrictions to be put in place and so strictly enforced too...if they have enough power and influence to keep such deadly products totally legal in modern times, seems like IDing minors would be a walk in the park for them to squash.

Old 11-17-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes, but its the same younger people that are the targeted demographic, so its sort of a catch 22...restrictions in place supposedly to prevent minors from buying the stuff, but at the same time, they are the intended customer, the industry targets and hopes to attract to buy their products.

Im actually surprised the tobacco companies allowed age restrictions to be put in place and so strictly enforced too...if they have enough power and influence to keep such deadly products totally legal in modern times, seems like IDing minors would be a walk in the park for them to squash.
Oh I agree with you, they need to do a better job of making these things more difficult for a 15 year old to buy. I'm just not sure how we go about doing this as kids can get cigs and they have the same age restrictions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events