Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 09:10 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times

Advertisements

High school e-cigarette use has jumped nearly 80%. Now, the FDA wants new regulations

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/healt...ion/index.html

Vaping increased nearly 80% among high schoolers and 50% among middle schoolers since last year, prompting the US Food and Drug Administration to propose new measures against flavored nicotine products that have propelled the rise, the agency announced Thursday.

My friend is a high school nurse and said the kids are smoking right in class, blowing the vapors in to their shirts or jackets and it's not detectable by the time a teacher looks up/over/around

Interesting video with story...like they said, flavors like Fruit Loops?

Seems parents have no clue how many of their kids are doing this because it's so easily hidden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 10:03 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Vaping is pretty easily detectable. It doesn't have the odor of tobacco but leaves one heck of a cloud. That's probably half the appeal. High schoolers are always more susceptible to ostentatious displays. Unless the teacher is taking a nap that cloud isn't going anywhere.

Too late at this point. If you wanted to nip it in the bud with a minor inconvenience, the time was years ago. It's got too much traction. It never was about more regulation. There's been plenty of that. It was about enforcement. I found it mildly hard to get alcohol in high school. Apparently that's not the case with vaping. Now you're just left with the much harder task of education. Can't even ban it at this point Big Tobacco is vaping. The same lobbying power that would make a smoking ban DOA applies to vaping. Any serious regulation that impedes Big Tobacco from selling to legitimate customers, meaning not minors, will get sued. It would have to be legislative and, well, not going to happen due to lobbying.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Vaping is pretty easily detectable. It doesn't have the odor of tobacco but leaves one heck of a cloud. That's probably half the appeal. High schoolers are always more susceptible to ostentatious displays. Unless the teacher is taking a nap that cloud isn't going anywhere.

Too late at this point. If you wanted to nip it in the bud with a minor inconvenience, the time was years ago. It's got too much traction. It never was about more regulation. There's been plenty of that. It was about enforcement. I found it mildly hard to get alcohol in high school. Apparently that's not the case with vaping. Now you're just left with the much harder task of education. Can't even ban it at this point Big Tobacco is vaping. The same lobbying power that would make a smoking ban DOA applies to vaping. Any serious regulation that impedes Big Tobacco from selling to legitimate customers, meaning not minors, will get sued. It would have to be legislative and, well, not going to happen due to lobbying.
We do not ID people for Ecigs at our stores, I wasnt aware any states were doing this though.

Something I do not get, how is 'big tobacco' still BIG in modern times? IF the figures are correct and hardly anyone is smoking anymore, its seems logical to assume the tobacco companies must be hanging on by a thread, and very close to being bankrupt..

Point is, a dying industry such a this, surely ,they would not be in a position to threaten or influence lawmakers of any state.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:30 AM

5,425 posts, read 3,488,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Something I do not get, how is 'big tobacco' still BIG in modern times? IF the figures are correct and hardly anyone is smoking anymore, its seems logical to assume the tobacco companies must be hanging on by a thread, and very close to being bankrupt..
I have read an article (sorry, I don't have a link) that said their big sales are in Asia these days.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:36 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,756,695 times
All I can think of is Meryl Streep screeching, "NOW, a warning!?"

Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 AM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
We do not ID people for Ecigs at our stores, I wasnt aware any states were doing this though.

Point is, a dying industry such a this, surely ,they would not be in a position to threaten or influence lawmakers of any state.
Kind of the point.

Do you live somewhere other than in Idaho or Pennsylvania? Congratulations. Your store is breaking the law. It's just until very recently there was literally zero enforcement. I mean, your company still had some obligation to keep abreast of laws that directly pertained to it but let's be honest about that. Nobody has enough time to keep abreast of every law change especially ones that see zero enforcement efforts.

Hardly. Phillip Morris is still a ~140 billion dollar company. It's a solid blue chip with a decent dividend yield though. Plus they're in the ecig market now, which is their growth area. Imperial has blu, PM has iQOS, British American has Vype, and so on. Plus you have upstarts like Juul (PAX spinoff) which have long been part of the tobacco consortium.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:01 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Kind of the point.

Do you live somewhere other than in Idaho or Pennsylvania? Congratulations. Your store is breaking the law. It's just until very recently there was literally zero enforcement. I mean, your company still had some obligation to keep abreast of laws that directly pertained to it but let's be honest about that. Nobody has enough time to keep abreast of every law change especially ones that see zero enforcement efforts.

Hardly. Phillip Morris is still a ~140 billion dollar company. It's a solid blue chip with a decent dividend yield though. Plus they're in the ecig market now, which is their growth area. Imperial has blu, PM has iQOS, British American has Vype, and so on. Plus you have upstarts like Juul (PAX spinoff) which have long been part of the tobacco consortium.
Well, then we are being mis-led about how many people are not smoking these days!

I read and hear all the time about how hardly anyone smokes cigarettes anymore, compared to the 70s and 80s anyway, but it doesnt seem like that is accurate, cigarettes and ecigs are one of our best sellers in my district, which is about 48 stores in KY, OH and IN.

Its kind of strange how so many places are enacting smoking bans, seems like 'big tobacco' would step in and prevent them from doing this...right?

Regarding IDing for Ecigs though, Im not sure they even enforce this, as some of our stores get popped here and there for selling cigarettes to a minor, they will send in a young person and try to buy cigs, and if the cashier does not card, we get a fine to pay...Ive never seen them do this and try to buy ecigs though.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Well, then we are being mis-led about how many people are not smoking these days!
RFC. The vast growth and bulk of sales is overseas, mostly in Asia. Having lost their grip on convincing US high school kids that smokin' is cool, they turned their marketing efforts to other countries. But, of course, "now there's an app for it!" which makes smoking cool again here. And in forty-leven spectacular flavors, too.

I really don't want to know what nuclear-level rationalizations let these guys sleep at night.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,472,094 times
Our government wants to ban certain flavors. Really? Flavors!!
That's sick. That's an indication of a government out of control from too much power.

Follow the money. Government is pissed that kids found a way to avoid paying those high tobacco taxes. Follow all the lost revenues and you'll understand why flavors are about to be banned.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Our government wants to ban certain flavors. Really? Flavors!!
That's sick. That's an indication of a government out of control from too much power.

Follow the money. Government is pissed that kids found a way to avoid paying those high tobacco taxes. Follow all the lost revenues and you'll understand why flavors are about to be banned.
Wow, it's been a real Wow day here on C-D.

Ciggies taste like crap. Only by becoming inured and getting addicted do you even pretend to get over the fact that they taste like crap.

But mix nicotine and 12 candy flavors - which have zero appeal to adults - and the lucky kids have years to go before they find out what an unfiltered Camel tastes like. Not that they'll have any choice at that point.

But yes, of course, da gummint is banning flavored smokes because they don't get a full tax cut from it. Got it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events