Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:47 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

Guess what. Work hard, save, develop a good skill, get a good job, make a good bank account, BUY IT.

Boo hoo hoo!
Those rules no longer work for most Americans.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They're a distraction. My nephew is in high school, and he refurbishes $800-$1000 dollar shoes, for a price, or buys them for cheap and resells them at the almost new price. He's the new version of an old-fashioned cobbler, and he's really good at it.

For God's sake. What is WRONG with parents, that they will buy a $1000 pair of shoes for their kid?
For some people, $1000 is like $20 for you!

Old 11-19-2018, 02:43 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Seeking to remove every possibility for causes of insecurity in our young is going about maturing them and equipping them for future disappointment backasswards.

We're not doing them any favours by raising the perceived cachet of a stupid jacket by banning the things. Nor are we teaching them anything by visibly signalling and legitimizing their right to feel "inferior" due to another's choice of expensive clothing. Now you've given the typical "spoiled little bugger" another stick to beat his "lesser's" with, to wit: "I can't wear my warm coat and have to wear a cheap one because that's all you can afford."
The nasty ones will always find a way to heap scorn on their perceived lower status peers.

This nonsense of 'banning' is going about it the wrong way around. We are indeed raising future "snowflakes" by very obviously insulating them from any and all forms of possible embarrassment. They need to learn as early as possible the future will hold all sorts of challenges to their egos and self-confidence. Putting those into some form of rational perspective is to their benefit, rather than the alternative of hiding our young from them.

Last edited by BruSan; 11-19-2018 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 03:33 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,376,145 times
The story is from a northern England backwater. It's not even the new world. They do lots of stranger things over there. It's still a class system fight, and you're not in London.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:17 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Well I had a Canada Goose coat given to me at Christmas one year, and I took it back.

I refuse to wear something where animals have suffered and died to keep me warm or to adorn a hood with fur trim.

There are so many warm and stylish, man-made alternatives.
At eider-down "farms" in Norway, where a lot of the stuffing for down vests and coats is produced, the eiders are not only unharmed, but they and their nests are guarded by the landowners. The nesting areas are fenced and small wooden nest shelters are placed at intervals. The female eiders know they will be fairly safe there and return every year. Only after the young are hatched and leave for the sea, is the down collected and separated from the grass and eggshells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events