Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:29 AM

24,606 posts, read 9,442,839 times

Advertisements

If you can’t afford Christmas gifts, don’t have kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 05:42 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
But we don't know that his kids got Christmas presents. We do know that he was given cash.
We don't even know if he really has kids or that his baby mama was in the hospital. Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe it's true, maybe it's the best tear jerker drama he could think up. Nobody is verifying any of that stuff.

Old 11-26-2018, 06:58 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
A bunch of Scrooge's here, good grief!

Kids are not commodities, nor are they liabilities but if you want to play with the numbers, you might want to consider that:

One person without a child will contribute about 2 Million in earnings to the economy over their lifetime but a deadbeat person with 5 kids, 100% supported by welfare will contribute almost 9 Million, in just two generations.

And that is after taking into account the cost of raising each child.

A working parent with 5 kids (no welfare) will contribute almost 12 Million to the economy, in just two generations. In two generations, the one person without a child's contribution will still be 2 Million.

Not to mention that "what it costs to raise a child", over 18 years; is the average amount it costs a retiree to live off of, for just 8 years. If long-term care is involved? Make that 3 years.

If anyone has the right to feel "Scroogey"; it will be those kids in about 15-20 years, when they realize that all those people that criticized their dad, didn't leave them with enough peers to share the expense of taxes & social security with.

And I don't think the dad should go out of his way to emphasize their lack of Christmas funds; especially because Santa probably brings the presents; not Daddy. You can't expect a man to debase Daddy & get rid of Santa all at once, can you?

As a parent who has had some meager means along the way; I was sort of proud of myself a few years ago when my teenage girls told me all about their upcoming Christmas volunteering activity: A fundraiser ... "You know, Mom ... for really poor kids!" I was unemployable, caring for a disabled child whose dad lost everything in the recession, including the home we lived in, the kids were designated "Title 1" at school & we didn't even live at poverty level threshold; we were under it.

And they didn't even know ... But carry on with the bah; humbug & all that, geez.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:11 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Sure there are a lot of GoFundMe scams, there are also a lot of car wrecks but that does not stop me from driving a car.

I honestly don't have a problem with this story. Didn't look like a scam, the mother had unforeseen medical complications which caused a major financial shortfall. He is just trying to provide a nice Christmas for his kids. If you don't want to donate don't donate, but I hardly think it's fair to trash the dad, we are talking less than $3,000 here.
Yeah, I hardly think this particular story deserves the judgement it is getting here. One hospital visit could put anyone here in the same situation.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:36 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
It's ironic that, given the knocks he's had, the lesson he and his partner are teaching their kids is that it's all about stuff.

And enough with the kids--five is plenty, especially when you're singing the blues about your finances.

Old 11-26-2018, 08:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Yeah, I hardly think this particular story deserves the judgement it is getting here. One hospital visit could put anyone here in the same situation.
He needed over $2,000 in cash for Christmas gifts? That's the problem. Not that he requested gifts. The fact that he set a target amount of $2,500, I believe. That's excessive. I will be spending under $200 for my kids. I don't care if you think I'm judgmental. If he makes this public he opens himself up to judgments, period. He got the money he wanted, and as far as I'm aware, he didn't share one dime by donating to Toys for Tots or any other charity.

Also, he lives in the U.K. and healthcare is socialized there. There are more safety nets than people in the USA and other countries have. He should consider himself fortunate.

Not having enough "stuff" under the tree isn't a tragedy or hardship.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 11-26-2018 at 08:47 PM..

Old 11-27-2018, 05:08 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
A bunch of Scrooge's here, good grief!

Kids are not commodities, nor are they liabilities but if you want to play with the numbers, you might want to consider that:

One person without a child will contribute about 2 Million in earnings to the economy over their lifetime but a deadbeat person with 5 kids, 100% supported by welfare will contribute almost 9 Million, in just two generations.

Are you serious ??? Those breeders with 5 kids on welfare are contributing NOTHING, the TAXPAYERS subsidizing their chosen lifestyle are the ones contributing that 9 million. And moreover, the taxpayers are the ones subsidizing those gigantic refunds the serial breeders enjoy.

Also, it's not all about money. Overpopulation is the biggest social problem there is and will only get worse when people insist they have the right to contribute to the degradation of all quality of life because they want a bunch of resource suckers. IMO you don't have a right to something you clearly can't afford. I would LOVE to own a home of my own but I have to make do with a crappy apartment because it's not up to everyone else to fund that house for me.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:01 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
He needed over $2,000 in cash for Christmas gifts? That's the problem. Not that he requested gifts. The fact that he set a target amount of $2,500, I believe. That's excessive. I will be spending under $200 for my kids. I don't care if you think I'm judgmental. If he makes this public he opens himself up to judgments, period. He got the money he wanted, and as far as I'm aware, he didn't share one dime by donating to Toys for Tots or any other charity.

Also, he lives in the U.K. and healthcare is socialized there. There are more safety nets than people in the USA and other countries have. He should consider himself fortunate.

Not having enough "stuff" under the tree isn't a tragedy or hardship.
I’d bet he is using some of what he raised to cover other bills that piled up, not just toys. I’m not with the idea of GoFundMe in general but I don’t find this story worth the outrage (or poorly diguised contempt towards the less fortunate as I see it) that it is getting.

- He didn’t lie.
- He ain’t asking for an outrageous amount.
- He had a verified need that could happen to most people.

And he is not under any obligation to donate what he collected. Counting other people’s money is a bad habit.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:47 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,723,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Are you serious ??? Those breeders with 5 kids on welfare are contributing NOTHING, the TAXPAYERS subsidizing their chosen lifestyle are the ones contributing that 9 million. And moreover, the taxpayers are the ones subsidizing those gigantic refunds the serial breeders enjoy.

Also, it's not all about money. Overpopulation is the biggest social problem there is and will only get worse when people insist they have the right to contribute to the degradation of all quality of life because they want a bunch of resource suckers. IMO you don't have a right to something you clearly can't afford. I would LOVE to own a home of my own but I have to make do with a crappy apartment because it's not up to everyone else to fund that house for me.
Where are you getting this information? If you read the story, he said that they can pay their rent and bills but don't have anything extra.

Quote:
Ben Buckley, 32, said he was forced to cut his hours at work to help take care of his four children when his partner, Kirsty Wickings, became ill during a “complicated” pregnancy. Wickings gave birth to a healthy daughter earlier this month, but the mother was hospitalized a number of times for a lung infection and had to be put on oxygen.

While he said his reduced work hours provided enough funds for rent and utilities, with the holidays fast approaching, he was worried he wouldn’t be able to provide gifts for his children.
I don't care about this GoFundMe. I wouldn't donate and I don't think they need $2,500 for Christmas gifts, but who cares if others want to donate?

Old 11-27-2018, 08:26 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
I don't care about this GoFundMe. I wouldn't donate and I don't think they need $2,500 for Christmas gifts, but who cares if others want to donate?
It's obvious that what he did is legal (as long as he didn't lie about what he's using the money for). That's not really debatable. But people have a right to disagree with it just as he has a right to beg for money. And yes, I do think he should have used some of the money to make a small donation to Toys for Tots. He got $2,500.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 11-27-2018 at 09:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events