Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 05:02 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,254 times

Advertisements

He was neither delusional, nor suicidal. Many missionaries have been killed trying to share their beliefs, Christian or otherwise. He put himself in this dangerous situation because he genuinely loved these people and wanted to see them saved. I mean, if you genuinely and truly believe in a horrible place called hell, and that people go there if they don't hear this truth, what kind of person are you if you *don't* attempt to tell them? As with most religious missionaries, he was not there to force a view, but sow the seeds of truth and let them make the decision. That is what they are called to do according to their Scriptures.

He knew exactly what he was doing. He wrote that if he were killed, that it wasn't the fault of the natives and people should not blame them. This was his fifth attempt to reach the people.

I think this story brings out a lot of anti-religious sentiments in a lot of people. That hatred runs deep, especially on the Internet. A man died, knowing full well that this would be the result, and did it anyway, because he loved his fellow man, regardless of race, religion or language barrier.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:10 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
He was neither delusional, nor suicidal. Many missionaries have been killed trying to share their beliefs, Christian or otherwise. He put himself in this dangerous situation because he genuinely loved these people and wanted to see them saved. I mean, if you genuinely and truly believe in a horrible place called hell, and that people go there if they don't hear this truth, what kind of person are you if you *don't* attempt to tell them? As with most religious missionaries, he was not there to force a view, but sow the seeds of truth and let them make the decision. That is what they are called to do according to their Scriptures.

He knew exactly what he was doing. He wrote that if he were killed, that it wasn't the fault of the natives and people should not blame them. This was his fifth attempt to reach the people.

I think this story brings out a lot of anti-religious sentiments in a lot of people. That hatred runs deep, especially on the Internet. A man died, knowing full well that this would be the result, and did it anyway, because he loved his fellow man, regardless of race, religion or language barrier.
You can be a Christian without doing something so foolhardy and stupid. Maybe instead of going to that Island he could have joined the Peace Corps or something like that.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 11-23-2018 at 05:46 AM..

Old 11-23-2018, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You can be a Christian without doing someone so foolhardy and stupid. Maybe instead of going to that Island he could have joined the Peace Corps or something like that.
Both Jesus and Paul traveled into cities where they were warned to avoid. Throughout the Christian Scripture, people forsook their own personal safety to deliver the Gospel. Too you, perhaps it was foolish, but not to them.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:17 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Both Jesus and Paul traveled into cities where they were warned to avoid. Throughout the Christian Scripture, people forsook their own personal safety to deliver the Gospel. Too you, perhaps it was foolish, but not to them.
But why ask other individuals to break the law?

Old 11-23-2018, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
But why ask other individuals to break the law?
They had a choice. Whether it was greed or religion they also knew the risks and made the choice. Just like protesters who accept arrest because they believe in what they are doing.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:35 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:

He drank the Koolaid and went forth to spread the party line. This has had been repeated for centuries although conversion by force has fallen by wayside in recent centuries. You call it sow the seeds but how, no why should they make a decision when they live a life that is relatively unchanged for millennia and works for them.

You say religious hate run deep on the internet I say look at yourselves first, if I look in a Sunday Paper at the church services available I see 20-30 flavors available and this is just the tip of the iceberg. How about all of you get on the same sheet music first before you try to push it on someone else. He may have died with his faith intact but it was a waste brought on by his own hubris and he risked the lives of all those he says he wanted to save.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:44 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
They had a choice. Whether it was greed or religion they also knew the risks and made the choice. Just like protesters who accept arrest because they believe in what they are doing.
So for this man and his religious community, outcomes are more important than how it was done?

It seems that his religious community is taking this as an attack on their faith but I think it is an attack on all outsiders.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
So for this man and his religious community, outcomes are more important than how it was done?

It seems that his religious community is taking this as an attack on their faith but I think it is an attack on all outsiders.
It is sad, but he himself knew he could be killed, accepted that fact and believed it was worth the risk. You can deride religion and use pejorative terms, but the choice was his to make, whether you believe in it or not.

Many climbers die trying to ascend dangerous mountains such as Everest, and I believe that is a waste when there is no benefit I see to risking your life for nothing but that is their choice.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:02 AM

5,404 posts, read 3,595,350 times
not everybody wants to be "saved", I personally want nothing to do with organised religion, obviously neither did these islanders, they have their own culture and own beliefs and just want to be left alone.
why cant anyone understand that and stay away.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
not everybody wants to be "saved", I personally want nothing to do with organised religion, obviously neither did these islanders, they have their own culture and own beliefs and just want to be left alone.
why cant anyone understand that and stay away.
Last I checked, no one has a gun to people's heads, including your own. You were given the choice and you chose what you wanted. You can't drive down the road without being inundated with advertisements from radio ads, billboards, the sides of taxi cabs, etc. You still have a choice, there's no coercion.

A few weeks ago I had a pair of men come to my house to talk about their religion. I invited them in, gave them coffee and we had a good talk. I didn't agree with the things they said but they are still good people and we had a respectful and pleasurable experience. Imagine a world without hatred over our differences?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events